Bicycle Infrastructure

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Bicycle Infrastructure

Postby mattaudio » May 14th, 2015, 8:44 pm

Chicago Ave bicycle lane striping was happening south of Lake St today. They are striping it from Lake to 46th, and then there are already lanes south of 46th a ways.

eazydp
Metrodome

Postby eazydp » May 17th, 2015, 8:49 am

Chicago Ave bicycle lane striping was happening south of Lake St today. They are striping it from Lake to 46th, and then there are already lanes south of 46th a ways.
YES! I had no idea but this is so needed, yay!

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » May 21st, 2015, 1:45 pm

This is just a weeee bit hard for me to believe, but apparently a new U of M study is claiming that non-motorized transport (biking and walking) make up something like 9% of all trips in the 17(!) county metro area. That's double what census estimates claim.

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/05/21 ... ng-to-work

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 17th, 2015, 6:40 pm

3 new bike paths/lanes proposed in St Pauls' bike plan are being heard on tonight. It's funny watching what people are saying. Go to twitter and look at the live feed of #stpbikes if you aren't already.

The 3 are Front, Cleveland and Highland

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 17th, 2015, 6:47 pm

Felt some palpable tension in those tweets. (On edge of seat!)

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 17th, 2015, 6:48 pm

I couldn't find the meeting on the St Paul site anywhere. It's very difficult to navigate and I guess I got impatient

Did find these though:

Cleveland: http://stpaul.gov/index.aspx?NID=5690

Front: http://stpaul.gov/index.aspx?NID=5692

Lexington?: http://stpaul.gov/index.aspx?NID=5691

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » June 17th, 2015, 7:21 pm

There's a lot of negatives at the moment, but the big positive takeaway I've gotten from tonight is that I'm very, very glad Stark is my councilmember, will happily support him in the election cycle this year, and he is apparently a stronger bike advocate than I realized.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » June 17th, 2015, 9:21 pm

This got delayed. For how long the article doesn't say. Will this mean the city misses its opportunity to do this along with the resurfacing?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 17th, 2015, 9:35 pm

http://www.startribune.com/st-paul-coun ... 308032411/

Let's move the bikelanes to Cretin instead. It could use narrower lanes and has less commercial.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » June 18th, 2015, 6:07 am

This got delayed. For how long the article doesn't say. Will this mean the city misses its opportunity to do this along with the resurfacing?
Yes. There is now very, very little chance of essentially free lanes. Which means the next round of opposition will get to complain about price.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » June 18th, 2015, 6:55 am

Yep, so this is dead then. The surest way for pols to kill something is repeated study, that way the advocates think they're getting something. Oh well glad I live on the slightly better side of the river.

Anondson
IDS Center

Bicycle Infrastructure

Postby Anondson » June 18th, 2015, 7:09 am

The studies are going to be far more expensive than the paint and labor spent on lanes.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 18th, 2015, 7:17 am

Yep, so this is dead then. The surest way for pols to kill something is repeated study, that way the advocates think they're getting something. Oh well glad I live on the slightly better side of the river.
Are you here to do anything but complain?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 18th, 2015, 8:09 am

It is true though, there's really no point in studying hypotheticals when all you have to do is paint then collect data. If it doesn't work, repaint and collect more data.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » June 25th, 2015, 7:40 pm

As a U of M student, I'm pretty excited about the Oak St bikeway. I was looking at the layout (found here: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 140073.pdf) and was still really happy with it. I was also wondering how they were going to handle the transition from the north end of the bikeway to the non-bikeway portion of Oak Street. And the answer is...

Double bike boxes. Yes, I'm serious. I wonder if they actually believe U of M bikers (the least law-abiding of all bikers) will wait through 2+ light cycles to go straight on Oak Street, or if they just need to do this to say they provided a legal way for this movement to occur.

Seriously, though, this isn't going to work.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 25th, 2015, 8:05 pm

If they just need to do this to say they provided a legal way for this movement to occur.
Probably this. I don't bike through campus very much now that I've moved, they don't really enforce the bike boxes and uselessly long crosswalk stoplights, on Washington, do they?

Other than that, it looks really good! I'd like to see a three-way stop at the East River Road/Oak St. intersection, since it can take a long time to get a break in the traffic to cross ERR during rush hour, but I'm glad to see the rest of the changes. Hope that the connection to the Dinkytown Greenway happens sooner rather than later.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 25th, 2015, 8:15 pm

Hahahahaha that's awful. And why are we accommodating buses on Oak St south of Washington? There are zero buses there.

They should have run it to the stadium because they should have just run it to the damn stadium. But I think that would make the transition out of the bike lane a little easier. You could connect to bike paths on 4th and University, and at least you'd only need one bike box to cross to the other side of the street. Or do some kind of pedestrian scramble at Oak & Washington and let bikes through as well. The lights there are pretty bad right now, I've jaywalked on Oak St many times while a train is going by yet the train is going through so traffic on Oak isn't physically possible.

Signals terrible at the U? Why I never.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » June 25th, 2015, 9:15 pm

First, I should make it clear that I'm still really excited about this route! Even though I'd never use it very much because there's not a whole lot of destinations for me there (aside from The Hub), this is still pretty cool. Hopefully they expand it soon (tier 2 on the bike plan).

As far as why they're not running it to the stadium, I don't think they have enough money to do it all the way there plus they need more time to figure out how to get people across 4th St where it intersects with Oak. Maybe they should've bitten the parking bullet and made it two one-way bikeways. Oh well, too late.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » June 25th, 2015, 10:23 pm

As a St. Paul resident, the biggest obstacle to me shopping in Dinkytown is the lack of a decent connection between the River Road and the greenway/University Ave. that doesn't require either drastic elevation changes or cutting through the Mall area and dodging students around the athletic complex. It's especially frustrating since my favorite bike shop is on the other side of that gulf.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 26th, 2015, 8:28 am

Yep. The current entrance to the Dinkytown Greenway to campus is a nightmare; extremely steep, full of potholes and badly maintained drainage, and often taken by cars or pedestrians. It's even worse going downhill, though, because despite the speed you very quickly pick up, both directions on the Greenway are blind turns.