U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: U.S. Bank Stadium

Postby Wedgeguy » June 17th, 2015, 1:36 pm

I didn't realize it was going to be so dark. I was expecting a light grey/silver color.
Give it a year or three to sun fade and it will get lighter over time. Same thing happened to a neighbors house. Went on a dark as charcoal, but now 4 years later is a nice mid grey.

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » June 17th, 2015, 1:50 pm

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » June 19th, 2015, 11:05 am

Has anyone noticed on the back/east side that there's a section of the cladding that's lighter than the rest? It's as though they got one unit that has a slightly different finish. You can see it around 0:25 in the Mike Zimmer video Grant posted. I'm surprised that went up as-is. It looks terrible.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

UrbWave
City Center

Postby UrbWave » June 19th, 2015, 11:17 am

I am assuming that they needed to cover the vent portions with something other than the zinc panels used. If you check it out in person you can see that it is a completely different texture from the surrounding panels. Hopefully when the zinc weathers/lightens it would match those portions.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 19th, 2015, 11:21 am

I'd just assumed that section was pre-weathered or something, but yeah, it is kind of jarring right now.

But I'm not going to worry too much about any of it since it's still under construction.

Speaking of which, is it just me or are they focusing on the North side and just ignoring the South side of building this? Like they're building the one half and when that's done they'll start on the other.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 19th, 2015, 1:00 pm

One has to remember that the first section of the stadium that was built was the north section. So that is the first that is ready to be totally focused on as far as siding and windows. They still have so much framing work to get done on the south that it will take awhile before we see major exterior work done there. They still have a lot of the interior work to get finished before they close off their access points for moving construction product in and out of the stadium.

There is work being done on the south end, but it is more invisible due to the locations that they are working on in the interior of the bowl and concourses.

contrast
Nicollet Mall

Postby contrast » June 19th, 2015, 8:21 pm

That fly-through animation is ludicrous. They show the pivoting doors as though someone - even without a ticket - will be able to just saunter in. Where are the security bollards? Where are the ticketing machines?
Season ticket holders will receive RFID tags that they insert under their skin in the upper right arm- supposed to start shipping them in June 2016; all other ticket sales are going to be based on the honor system similar to LRT trains to increase entry and exit efficiency. Ticket turnstiles are so 2014.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 19th, 2015, 8:50 pm

actual lol
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 25th, 2015, 7:45 am

Of note, the stadium is angled as such that anyone crossing the river on I-94 will be able to very clearly see the entire roof and U.S. Bank logo.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » June 25th, 2015, 8:03 am

^Do you mean crossing the river on 35W???

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 25th, 2015, 8:43 am

No, crossing the river on I-94. It'll probably be pretty visible from 35W too, but I-94 is kind of jarring because the stadium will be like two miles away but the corporate logo will be 100 percent visible.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » June 25th, 2015, 9:34 am

Uhg... it's almost like they bought the naming rights for the downtown skyline (from those angles).

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » June 25th, 2015, 10:39 am

No, crossing the river on I-94. It'll probably be pretty visible from 35W too, but I-94 is kind of jarring because the stadium will be like two miles away but the corporate logo will be 100 percent visible.
It will be closer on 35W (less than a mile, about 3,800 ft) and the roof is directly angled that way. It's about twice as far (1.63 miles) to be on the river bridge of I94 (by Huron).

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 25th, 2015, 11:29 am

My point was simply that the words "u.s. bank" will be very visible from pretty far away. I'm sure you'll be able to see the logo from the Stone Arch Bridge and areas like that, too.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » June 25th, 2015, 12:26 pm

It's kinda crazy how *little* we're hearing from the anti-development/big developer/etc contingency in Minneapolis about this whole thing. I know, powers that be are much higher/stronger in this case (and it's already a done deal). But man. A whole stadium was demolished (think of the material waste), with a much larger one with airplane-sized advertising going on and nary a peep. All the while folks show up to planning commission meetings to fight a parking variance request and talk about neighborhood character.

Anyway. Even for a stadium, this naming signage seems quite excessive.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » June 25th, 2015, 12:50 pm

Maybe a developer can use the stadium signage as justification to add a few more stories onto a future development along Washington. A well placed building between the stadium and the Stone Arch Bridge would go a long way.

PigsEye

Postby PigsEye » June 25th, 2015, 1:40 pm

Maybe a developer can use the stadium signage as justification to add a few more stories onto a future development along Washington. A well placed building between the stadium and the Stone Arch Bridge would go a long way.
Yea, and maybe US Bank will help with the financing of the additional costs?

nealh
Block E

Postby nealh » June 25th, 2015, 1:42 pm

I've looked from the Stone Arch Bridge and luckily the roof signage should be mostly blocked by existing buildings, but just barely.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » June 25th, 2015, 2:56 pm

But man. A whole stadium was demolished (think of the material waste), with a much larger one with airplane-sized advertising going on and nary a peep.
Anyway. Even for a stadium, this naming signage seems quite excessive.
What material waste? Everything from the field to the new roof were re-used. The seating was sold, the concrete was recycled, not much waste if you ask me.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 25th, 2015, 3:23 pm

There's a lot more ot a stadium than seats and concrete. And even if every bit of it was recycled, think about all the energy it takes to create those materials in their first iteration, then the energy required to recycle or reuse them elsewhere. A massive amount of waste if you ask me.