Satori Minneapolis (Broadway from Aldrich-Emerson)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Satori Minneapolis (Broadway from Aldrich-Emerson)

Postby Nathan » July 2nd, 2015, 4:35 am

In my mind... which knows nothing about the situation... it's not an accident at all.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 2nd, 2015, 7:34 am

In my mind... which knows nothing about the situation... it's not an accident at all.
Totally agree! Think about the chances of these two events happening when they did: the developers propose a large and controversial mixed-use redevelopment, and a fire engulfs almost every single one of the buildings slated for redevelopment, and no others -- after being around for over 100 years. There was probably only a couple months window where a fire here would have looked REALLY bad, and that's exactly when it happened. Even if you exclude the timing of the first part of the event -- the redevelopment proposal -- it's still like 1:400 chances that this block burns when it did (if you assume it would have burned sometime in its 100-year life, and the fire occurs sometime within a 3-month window, or 100*12/3). Factor in the redevelopment proposal timing and alleged complexities getting approvals and it becomes somewhat astronomical for these events to just be a coincidence. I realize that life is just a series of events coming together, but where there's smoke there's fire, at least when it comes to crime.

It doesn't help that, after months of investigating, they they still haven't found a cause of the fire, which makes me believe that it's either a cover-up or they are investigating a serious crime and keeping it under wraps. And all of this happening in a black-majority neighborhood, no less (where it seems most corruption in this country occurs). Maybe I'm just too into my conspiracies, but this one is too hard to believe it's just a coincidence. I hope I'm wrong!

beige_box
Metrodome

Postby beige_box » July 3rd, 2015, 5:15 pm

The only curveball is the competing theory that the fire was a targeted attack on Neighborhoods Organizing for Change's space, given that the fire happened the same day as a major protest NOC planned as well as the same week it was revealed that Mall of America was no longer seeking to pursue financial restitutions from the MOA 11 protestors, who (I'm pretty sure) had ties to NOC. At the time of the fire, this seemed like the more far-fetched theory, but a couple months later, after Charleston and with Black churches burning across the South, I think anti-Black Lives Matter terrorism seems a tad more plausible.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 5th, 2015, 6:54 am

Not sure I'd say more plausible, but plausible as well, definitely.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » July 28th, 2015, 2:06 pm

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 28th, 2015, 9:09 pm

Bastards.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 30th, 2015, 9:27 am

NOC sent out an email saying they wish to refurbish and buy the block.
https://mnnoc.nationbuilder.com/buyback

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 30th, 2015, 9:40 am

We know that big developers and other disaster capitalists are beginning to swarm the block...
You had me at disaster capitalists.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » July 30th, 2015, 11:46 am

It would be nice to use this as an opportunity to do something more than just rebuild what was there. I'd be interested to see the cost estimates or refurbishing only the damaged storefronts while implementing some of the larger proposal we had seen before. If NOC is involved with funding/design, they have the power to dedicate space toward neighborhood businesses (first preference to those displaced if they want to come back, obviously). They can push to dedicate residential space to low income residents.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 18th, 2015, 8:13 pm

One of the narrow interior buildings was torn down today.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 18th, 2015, 10:28 pm

909, Salco, Home of WDGY.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 19th, 2015, 9:28 am

Is there another example anywhere else in the city where an entire blockface retained 100% of its original streetcar-era buildings?

It just struck me how unusual this block actually is.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 19th, 2015, 10:07 am

The western side of Hennepin north and south of Lake street, Parts of lynlake, 14th and 4th in dinkytown, there's actually a lot more in St Paul maybe? Linden hills?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 19th, 2015, 10:57 am

If you stretch the boundaries of "streetcar-era", there's also the eastern side of Central Ave between 22nd and 23rd (the Carniceria's building is from 1949, but might as well be original). These are sort of the exceptions that prove the rule, though.

Another fun game along these lines: How many Minneapolis are entirely prewar apartment buildings, without gaps? I know of only one (the 1800 block of 2nd Ave S).

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 19th, 2015, 9:15 pm

Another fun game along these lines: How many Minneapolis are entirely prewar apartment buildings, without gaps? I know of only one (the 1800 block of 2nd Ave S).
Humboldt between The Mall and Lagoon.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » May 31st, 2019, 9:14 am

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » May 31st, 2019, 9:28 am

I have mixed feelings about this one. I think it'll be good for W. Broadway, but it doesn't fit into the neighborhood. Secondly, I wonder how successful it would be given that the area north of here between W. Broadway and Lowry is the most dangerous within the city given the crime maps. This would be better on 2nd Ave N, maybe even where Northern Metals is. or on Glenwood, near areas where development has been extending into the Northside.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 3rd, 2019, 10:54 am

Important to clarify that the proposal being discussed is only for the 800-block (east of Bryant to the Cub parking lot): https://www.google.com/maps/@44.999193, ... 312!8i6656.

It also shows a "future phase" on Page 6 of the Cow report that would preserve the buildings facing Broadway on the 900 block (Bryant to Colfax).

Very different from the total destruction of these 3 blocks of Broadway that was shown in the concept version of this project 5 years ago.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » October 12th, 2020, 9:44 am

Looks like this is a go. The Mayor and others were tossing dirt recently. I find it interesting that they're trying to attract young people who want to be close to Downtown. By the time this is built the area may be a lot safer. If you consider what it would be like over there without monthly shootings at Merwyns Liquor this is a nice area for young people and actually reminds me a bit of the U of M area given all the places to eat, mass transit, close to Downtown and the River and has the benefit of the Cub Foods.

https://www.startribune.com/north-minne ... 572692532/

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 12th, 2022, 2:33 pm