City Club Apartments - 1000 Marquette Ave (Handicraft Building)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Architorture
Metrodome

Re: 10th & Marquette Development

Postby Architorture » July 10th, 2015, 10:26 am

I would like to see more windows on the short ends of the building as well. Seems like wasted space and is highly visible from that angle. Perhaps worried about future structures blocking the views?
It looks awkward and creates a highly visible 18 story blank wall, especially on the south side. Not very attractive.

This could potentially be a really cool project, but that means spending more $ to refine it and use better quality materials. If they are going to tear down the last remaining historic storefronts on Marquette, its the least they can do...
I think its on a property line on the south. Agreed, the north side should have more glass.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: 10th & Marquette Development

Postby mattaudio » July 10th, 2015, 10:36 am

I like the idea of work/live spaces on the street level, but somehow this location doesn't feel like the right place for it. Really they should have retail along here.
Isn't that basically what I'm proposing? Spaces that are flexible and could be repurposed into a non-residential or partial-residential use that provides retail (or similar) to the sidewalk?

MNdible
is great.

Re: 10th & Marquette Handicraft Building Development

Postby MNdible » September 14th, 2015, 3:41 pm

WCCO is appealing the variance that allowed this project to reduce their setback on the common property line. Here's their lawyer's letter [PDF].

I'm convinced.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » September 15th, 2015, 10:52 am

Wait, in #2 did they say the building should be held to a 15' setback because when wcco wants to redevelop their land they're going to build up to the property line and having the other building already built to the property line will cause conflict? So it's not OK for the people who want to put something up now to build to the property line because they want to be able to build to the property line in the future? Wtf?

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » September 15th, 2015, 10:58 am

Omg it just gets better!

"But the two (2) inch balcony setback virtually guarantees repeated trespass into WCCO's air rights over the property line by residents who merely lean over the balcony railings. If the WCCO property were to be constructed at the lot line, as is allowed under the B4-1 District, the Variance would allow residents to damage or disrupt the building façade or windows facing the balconies."

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 15th, 2015, 11:21 am

So it's not OK for the people who want to put something up now to build to the property line because they want to be able to build to the property line in the future? Wtf?
The use that requires the setback (residential balconies in the proposed apartment building) should be the one obligated to provide it on their own property, not assume that a neighboring property owner will provide it for them. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » September 15th, 2015, 12:50 pm

I sort of see their point regarding balconies, but if these two parcels are zoned differently it seems like a failure of zoning to have one property have to bear the cost of reduced usable land because of setbacks and not the neighbouring one. If they're zoned the same my mind is blown. Would the hypothetical wcco development have to set its balconies back fifteen feet too? Because they seem to think they'll be building right up to the property line but no one else can (they're not *just* mad about the balconies but also the building itself).

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » September 15th, 2015, 1:00 pm

I sort of see their point regarding balconies, but if these two parcels are zoned differently it seems like a failure of zoning to have one property have to bear the cost of reduced usable land because of setbacks and not the neighbouring one. If they're zoned the same my mind is blown. Would the hypothetical wcco development have to set its balconies back fifteen feet too? Because they seem to think they'll be building right up to the property line but no one else can (they're not *just* mad about the balconies but also the building itself).
If the new building did not have residential balconies, then they could build to the property line. Presumably, this hypothetical WCCO development would not have residential balconies and they would be able to build to the lot line also if it weren't for this planned building with its balconies 2" away. Having two buildings that butt against each other at the lot line is fairly common, but is impossible to do if balconies are so close to the property line.

It is a legitimate complaint. This variance would limit redevelopment options for the WCCO property.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » September 15th, 2015, 2:54 pm

That actually makes perfect sense then. Mind changed, despite the hilarious violation of air rights by leaning over your balcony. I still think the complaints about impinging on the use of their 'outdoor studio' thing are stupid, but the balcony thing alone is enough to justify it.
If they drop the offending balconies they should get to build up to the property line too.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 5th, 2015, 9:38 am

Givens Violins moving to 1201 Marquette: http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... cking.html

No word on any other tenants relocating.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » November 5th, 2015, 9:54 am

The art gallery that threw a fit (and plenty of parties) moved to Elliot Park.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 5th, 2015, 9:55 am

The shirtmaking place is moving to Snelling Ave.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 5th, 2015, 9:57 am

What's the latest on Devil's Advocate? There was some hint that they would return after construction, but also other reports that they really wanted to amp up their brewing capabilities and would have to find a new space entirely.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » November 5th, 2015, 10:51 am

wait where in Elliot Park did the art gallery move to?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 5th, 2015, 10:53 am

717 S 10th St
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 5th, 2015, 11:21 am

What's the latest on Devil's Advocate? There was some hint that they would return after construction, but also other reports that they really wanted to amp up their brewing capabilities and would have to find a new space entirely.
The last I heard is that they were looking for a second location, which would have the ability to be their brewing location also. They would come back to the Handicraft when it was finished. With the number of craft beer drinkers increasing, and the customer base that would probably come from the 1010 Marquette, I think they would be silly not to take advantage of the Handicraft location. Not to mention the Hilton for customers, just across the street.

eric_best
Block E

Postby eric_best » November 5th, 2015, 3:14 pm

I've talked with many of the tenants of the buildings and here's what I have so far:

Devil’s Advoate - http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/de ... evelopment

Slam Academy - http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/sl ... y-building
Also in this:
Tom Amel of Overproof, a screenprinting shop, said in an email that he'll be moving his shop in the next couple months and relocating at 3200 Snelling Ave. S.
Josi Severson closed her home, fashion and fabrics studio and retail shop at the end of June.

Givens Violins - http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/gi ... evelopment

Gamut - http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/ga ... lliot-park
They’ll be hosting their inaugural exhibition this month actually.

There was also a wig shop, a nail salon and (pretty sure) a design firm, plus a bunch of internal places on the ground floor too, included here - http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/if ... could-talk
A lot of them left without a word.

Eric Best / The Journal

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 9th, 2015, 2:16 pm

Is Floyd Thompson's drum "shop" still in a few rooms on the second floor? I remember walking up there and knocking on the door one time, and he showed me around his collection of vintage drum gear. He's had a huge influence in this town, teaching folks like Michael Bland (Prince, Soul Asylum revival, Jonas Brothers), Gordy Knudtson (Steve Miller Band), famous jazz drummers, etc.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » November 10th, 2015, 3:52 pm

Klash Drums in NE posted on facebook about buying all of Floyd's vintage inventory.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » March 18th, 2016, 4:18 pm

You know, there are a small handful of projects that, as much as I love growth, I would be ok with falling through. This is one of them. The Ritz block is another.