Target Campus - Brooklyn Park

Twin Cities Suburbs
Rich
Rice Park

Re: Target Campus - Brooklyn Park

Postby Rich » June 16th, 2014, 9:44 am

That map shows all crime in all or part of several northern suburbs, not just Brooklyn Park.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 16th, 2014, 9:47 am

The epicenter seems to be Zane Ave -- Zane & Brooklyn Blvd. I know there's a lot of multi-family housing along Zane, but that's eye-opening!

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » June 16th, 2014, 11:01 am

I think it would be fair to say that Zane Ave is probably one of the poorest neighborhoods in suburban Minneapolis. Of course, this really isn't seen as street crime, the suburban facade masquerades a lot of the troubles of the area. Whereas, a high crime inner city area might be plagued with dilapidated housing or unkempt streets.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 18th, 2014, 8:03 pm

Funny I don't see the triple murder in BP or the areas to the south of 610. I know that BP has crime issues. I lived in the area and it has become more of a problem in the last few years. As was said, when you are looking only at the corn fields you will not find too much crime. I'm saying that those that are looking for marks that have a good paying job and are worth the try for getting a smart phone, computer, or cash. The Target campus would be a good place to go once there is a good number of employees. BP has a crack cocaine problem just like other area of the metro. So I'd really believe those numbers.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 23rd, 2014, 2:14 pm

Filter the Minneapolis by time, I'd wager the majority of the robberies and assaults occur far outside employment hours.
The post indicated that the person goes to work in the evenings. Depending on where this person is parking, and their gender, it's not unreasonable for them to feel uncomfortable downtown at night.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 23rd, 2014, 2:29 pm

Isn't downtown parking cheap/free except during "business hours?"

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 13th, 2015, 10:08 am

Target moving 1300 from I-394 campus in South (West?) Minneapolis to Target North campus in Brooklyn Park:
http://www.startribune.com/target-to-se ... 321755091/

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » August 13th, 2015, 10:13 am

Haha, this story is in three locations now.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » August 14th, 2015, 8:41 am

Target moving 1300 from I-394 campus in South (West?) Minneapolis to Target North campus in Brooklyn Park:
http://www.startribune.com/target-to-se ... 321755091/
That building is in Minneapolis? Always thought of that area as Golden Valley. I guess it is just east of France.

Hope it sees some new tenants/owner soon. It's awfully isolated there, in a largely residential area and a ways from freeway access.

at40man
Rice Park

Re: Target Campus- Brooklyn Park

Postby at40man » August 14th, 2015, 9:18 am

MAYBE Arden Hills, but even they have ridiculous pie-in-the-sky aspirations not too far off from what Brooklyn Park is envisioning, and it's notably further from either downtown.
Are you saying that Arden Hills is further from either downtown than Brooklyn Park? I hope not because Arden Hills is actually closer to either downtown than BP.

I went to visit a friend in Brooklyn Park last week. I had no idea how big that area is. And how far it felt from everything. The Brooklyn Park location would definitely be a major detractor for me. It's pretty far away from everything!

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » August 14th, 2015, 12:34 pm

Indeed, when I worked at Target HQ downtown, I passed up an opportunity that would have been in Brooklyn Park because I live in the south metro and the commute would have been way too long for my liking, not to mention tough to do using transit.

Even with their current issues, though, they're still Target and a lot of people are going to want to work there, whether it's in downtown or the suburbs. Yes, some people aren't going to consider working there if it means being in BP, but they're still not going to have any trouble filling positions. Plus, from a cynical point of view, if there's some attrition due to the move, that just helps them reduce expenses anyway.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 21st, 2015, 9:15 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 21st, 2015, 9:19 pm

Well that's a head spinner. Right after laying off a few hundred IT workers?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 21st, 2015, 10:06 pm

Well that's a head spinner. Right after laying off a few hundred IT workers?
The old the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing and do contradictory things. Not at all well coordinated on some management levels part.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 21st, 2015, 10:08 pm

Maybe they're paying them all half the wage for twice the work ;)
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

dbaur31
City Center

Postby dbaur31 » September 22nd, 2015, 7:44 am

As someone who left Target IT a little over a year ago, I know that most of the folks they just let go were in roles like business analyst and project manager. Some management layers, too. Though it sucks for those affected, it was a long time coming that there would be a sort of reset and that hiring of different functions would follow. These new hires are likely to be mostly people with specialized technical skills as opposed to generalists. As technology needs changed (and they change REALLY fast, obviously), Target either could not or chose not to bring in the necessary skill sets fast enough. That led to a ballooning in the use of a contractor workforce in order to keep up as the article points out. Whether that works or not is somewhat subjective. You can argue that hiring a bunch of people for a niche skill doesn't make much sense unless you're certain you'll need it long term. In any case, it's certainly not surprising to see new leadership pivot and go in the opposite direction. Timing may not look great from a PR perspective, but I don't think this is any sort of error in coordination.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 22nd, 2015, 8:23 am

Thanks for a perspective that is more specific and not general in nature. I'll definitely agree from a PR stand point it does not look like they have things under control. But as you say, if they got rid of general workers/layers of management, and the new employees are more specific to certain technical job niches, then it makes sense. The timing just sucks .

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » September 23rd, 2015, 4:21 pm

Isn't most of Targets IT offices at 33 South 6th? Not in Brooklyn Park.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 23rd, 2015, 5:41 pm

This could go elsewhere, but since the conversation is here...

http://fortune.com/2015/09/20/target-te ... t_facebook

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 23rd, 2015, 6:27 pm

This could go elsewhere, but since the conversation is here...

http://fortune.com/2015/09/20/target-te ... t_facebook
Not sure if that will mean the startups would plan on being close to the BP campus, or DT where the technology workers would possibly rather work and hang out? Either way it is more hot tech jobs for the Twin Cities!