ImageWP_20150913_019 by grant.simons, on Flickr

ImageWP_20150913_017 by grant.simons, on Flickr

ImageWP_20150913_016 by grant.simons, on Flickr

ImageWP_20150913_018 by grant.simons, on Flickr

Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Saint Paul - General Topics

Postby Anondson » September 13th, 2015, 3:32 pm

I'd really dig a camera on a rig swung over this in slow motion and moving to each point of interest.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » September 14th, 2015, 5:16 pm

Open House for the balcony set for next Thursday the 24th at Union Depot.
http://www.startribune.com/st-paul-s-ri ... 327526511/

City webpage;
http://stpaul.gov/index.aspx?NID=5786

Just commenting on the pics of the model, I'd really like to see better integration with the existing buildings and not just be something that's attached at a few points and left hanging on others. The Custom house and the Ramsey county east buildings, plus anything developed or remodeled further west, should have a level connected continuously and open to the balcony, almost like a boardwalk. Right now from what I can see this is an elevated, narrow walkway suspended out on stilts over the railroad tracks. It should be a destination in itself rather than just the fastest way to walk between the Xcel and SPUD.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 14th, 2015, 7:49 pm

Seems like it would be a shame for this to not integrate with St. Paul Union Depot or the riverboat landing.

mulad

Postby mulad » September 15th, 2015, 1:29 am

Looks like that's what they're trying to do, though I'm not a huge fan of the idea. Trying to use the entrance for the Amtrak platforms to also connect a ramp to the riverfront probably isn't good in the long term. While it's probably unlikely, there's a non-zero chance that intercity train travelers will eventually need to go through TSA-style checks, and this would violate the area that you'd want to keep secure.

I still think the wide sidewalk along Sibley does a pretty good job linking SPUD to the riverfront -- the biggest problem is simply making the crossing of Shepard Road more bike/pedestrian-friendly. Besides, connecting directly to the SPUD waiting room would probably invite a lot of people to try to ride their bikes through the building, which would make for a mess. If a new connection is made to the SPUD property, it'd be better to aim for the rear "LRT" platform or the bus loading area.

I'd be most interested in finding ways to make a connection between Robert Street and the riverfront, since that's not very easily achieved on either end of the bridge today. You either have to loop around to the Wabasha Street bridge to the west or the Sibley Street sidewalk to the east to get there, since Jackson doesn't have a pedestrian crossing. Connecting Robert to the river would be a challenge, though, since it's on top of the railroad lift bridge and next to a tower for high-tension power lines.

Really, this whole project looks pretty redundant to what already exists, and doesn't improve connectivity much at all. Repair the stairs that already exist at Robert Street down to 2nd Street, add a second set on the opposite side of the bridge, and you've basically achieved the same thing.

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » September 15th, 2015, 3:37 am

I do like the fact that it is providing ways to get down to the Shepard Road bike / pedestrian trails without having to tangle with Jackson or Sibley. Although to be fair, I assume we were going see some improvements with the impending construction of the Jackson Street bike way.
Something that I haven't seen mentioned about the balcony tying in with SPUD: Vikings river cruises recently stated that they are committed to docking in St Paul for 60 dates a year. I assume that they meant lower landing (Lambert's Land). The current design would be a good fit in the sense that people could come through SPUD (a *transportation hub* ) and/ or from the new hotel in Custom House. For people just being dropped off to go onto the boat, there is the semi enclosed sheltered drop off point at the head house of SPUD. Without that, people would just have to be dropped off on Shepard Road which currently has no structures nor shelter. Done right, this design could serve as a pleasant way to bridge Lowertown to the boat landing for the Vikings Cruisers & the general public.

mulad

Postby mulad » September 15th, 2015, 6:32 am

It's possible that they'll need some sort of shelter, but I think the Viking River Cruises people will typically be able to use the ship itself for that purpose -- their vessels will probably stay docked for several hours at a time, in contrast to trains which only stop for a few minutes or maybe up to an hour if they have a significant layover.

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » September 16th, 2015, 8:04 am

http://www.startribune.com/st-paul-s-co ... 327804511/

Como Dockside is doing great business under the new owners. Does the end justify the means in this instance? Honestly to me it sounds like everyone wins. The old operator got the boot, but he also got paid for breach of contract. The new operators are realizing the potential of the space. The city will make its money back. The public gets a better Como Park.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » September 16th, 2015, 8:18 am

http://www.startribune.com/st-paul-s-co ... 327804511/

Como Dockside is doing great business under the new owners. Does the end justify the means in this instance? Honestly to me it sounds like everyone wins. The old operator got the boot, but he also got paid for breach of contract. The new operators are realizing the potential of the space. The city will make its money back. The public gets a better Como Park.
And the city is now considering opening restaurants and bars in other parks. Coleman threw out the idea of the Upper Landing.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 16th, 2015, 8:48 am

The Head house would make a fantastic riverside restaurant. Except perhaps during late summer spider season.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 16th, 2015, 9:30 am

This reiterates to me that the previous restaurateur was just as much in breach of contract as the city was. There was clearly a huge demand here, and the previous place just absolutely failed to capitalize on it, costing the city their share of that profit.

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » September 17th, 2015, 6:48 am

The parking ramp for the lower town lofts on the corner has been purchased by a developer earlier this year. So... if Bedlam ends up closing, and the 4th Street Station next to is is condemned, that would leave almost the entire block up for potential demolition and re-development.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » September 17th, 2015, 8:54 am

The parking ramp for the lower town lofts on the corner has been purchased by a developer earlier this year. So... if Bedlam ends up closing, and the 4th Street Station next to is is condemned, that would leave almost the entire block up for potential demolition and re-development.
They're contributing properties to the Lowertown Historic District, so I don't see demolition happening.

bus14
Block E

Postby bus14 » September 17th, 2015, 12:26 pm

That's still owned by Bigos, which is used by the tenants of their building, Lowertown Lofts. I think people are confusing the ramp and the surface lot on the SE corner. That was purchased by Oaks Properties earlier this year.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 23rd, 2015, 9:48 am

The balcony model is making its way to Union Depot:
https://www.facebook.com/uniondepot/pos ... 6368044305

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » September 23rd, 2015, 7:26 pm

http://blogs.twincities.com/cityhallsco ... the-total/

Permitted construction in Saint Paul is up.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 24th, 2015, 12:31 pm

The balcony model is making its way to Union Depot:
https://www.facebook.com/uniondepot/pos ... 6368044305
Planning on seeing this model sometime between 5 and 7. Will allow me to check out what is happening on the east side of Cedar this week before hand.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 25th, 2015, 10:53 am

What's going on at the parcel bounded by Main, 35E and the freeway rams off Old 6th? Lots of dirt being turned.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » September 25th, 2015, 11:28 am

What's going on at the parcel bounded by Main, 35E and the freeway rams off Old 6th? Lots of dirt being turned.
The new Dorothy Day Center:

http://dorothydaycampaign.org/about-the-project/

They're really having to hammer through a lot of bedrock!

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 25th, 2015, 11:38 am

Excellent! We don't have a page for this, do we?