Maverick - 100 Hennepin Avenue S

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: 100 Hennepin Avenue S

Postby grant1simons2 » May 14th, 2015, 3:05 pm

Just don't email the staff while it's still in CoW like I did about concerns about a certain project. That was a very dumb mistake by me that can now be seen by the pubic and committee members in HPC.. Ugh..

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » May 14th, 2015, 3:22 pm

I for one don't have any problem going on public record with my opposition to a proposal when it really deserves it, but then again I don't have a future in architecture or city planning to worry about.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 14th, 2015, 3:27 pm

I just didn't edit parts of it and it got all jumbled during the process. Also I made a complaint about using white stucco. Which they changed since.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » May 14th, 2015, 3:30 pm

In any case it seems this is expected to go to a public hearing by the HPC, but I'm not sure that they have much power to change the design.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » May 14th, 2015, 6:41 pm

I guess I'm confused at to what John is trying to express. On the one hand, I'm hearing taller, place-making, etc., and then the St. Anthony Historic District is mentioned with more brick. I personally would like a James Dayton MacPhail/Bookman Stacks-ish edifice here, especially at this height.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » May 15th, 2015, 11:18 am

I get the complaints about this development, but let's not forget that a sense of place or active streets mean nothing without people. This spot has been empty for decades. Walking to the river from downtown has always been uninspiring since it's a walk through a wasteland.

to say that we deserve more, is right, but the fact is the city doesn't care. The city doesn't own the land and hasn't tried to do anything with this space - ever. We finally have someone who is proposing to change all that and all we can do is complain. Originally, I was concerned that it would be one uninterrupted building, but I do like how they have broken it up. There's nothing amazing about this project, but it will help increase the downtown population and add more vibrancy to the edge of downtown.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » May 15th, 2015, 1:45 pm

I get the complaints about this development, but let's not forget that a sense of place or active streets mean nothing without people. This spot has been empty for decades. Walking to the river from downtown has always been uninspiring since it's a walk through a wasteland.

to say that we deserve more, is right, but the fact is the city doesn't care. The city doesn't own the land and hasn't tried to do anything with this space - ever. We finally have someone who is proposing to change all that and all we can do is complain. Originally, I was concerned that it would be one uninterrupted building, but I do like how they have broken it up. There's nothing amazing about this project, but it will help increase the downtown population and add more vibrancy to the edge of downtown.
You just manifested one end of the gradient that exists on this forum:
Those whose only concern is density<---->Those whose only concern is architecture

Of course nobody falls on one end or the other and nobody is wrong and everybody gets a trophy and we are all on the same team and Minnesota and Lutheran, and Garrison Keillor, and Prince, etc.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » May 15th, 2015, 8:33 pm

These are really great points - you have to think about Manhattan. The density makes every street feel safe, active and exciting. That density is what builds greater large developments.

I kind of think that part of what everyone is talking about is the desire for a development that is really exciting and that we all are eager to see go up. The Duval 80 story tower was one of those really exciting projects. The stadium is exciting for some - and it does dramatically change our skyline and the eastside of downtown. Much of the new developments are great but the architecture is good but not breaking a lot of new ground.
The density on the Hennepin ave gateway is good in my opinion because empty parcels and parking ramps. Having the buildings low may be better visually to allow the height increase with each block to create drama and better sight-lines.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » May 16th, 2015, 8:28 pm

I re-read the staff report to the Committee of the Whole. The height is considered appropriate for the site and that will remain. There are concerns that too many materials are being used for the palette of the exterior façade and they want it simplified. They comment on the use of the fiber cement in particular and mention they would prefer metal panel or brick to replace it.
So I think what will happen is the quality of the exterior will improve and look a little less jumbled. If they add more brick it will look more solid and have a stronger presence on the Hennepin side. The liner townhouses will look great on 1st Ave.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » May 23rd, 2015, 1:14 pm

No. No more brick. Especially being next to the awful 222.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 11th, 2015, 8:27 am

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 19th, 2015, 12:00 pm

Here's a bit of an updated plan that's in the process of being reviewed by the HPC: http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 147515.pdf

3.Mechanical louvers shall be removed from all street-facing elevations, in compliance with the Saint Anthony Falls Historic District Design Guidelines. Mechanical louvers on the recessed portions of the east elevation shall be permitted.

4.The balconies shall be converted to inset balconies or removed to reinforce the concept of a simple rectangular form in accordance with the Saint Anthony Falls Historic District Design Guidelines.

5.The same metal panel shall be used to accent the upper corners of the building to reduce the number of materials and simplify the façade in compliance with the Saint Anthony Falls Design Guidelines.

6.Brick shall be used between the first floor and second floor windows in the townhome units to reduce the number of materials and simplify the façade in compliance with the Saint Anthony Falls Design Guidelines.

7.The lighted monument and pavers near the corner of Hennepin Avenue and 1st Street N shall be retained. The lighted monument shall be retained in the public realm along Hennepin Avenue within 40 feet of the intersection of Hennepin Avenue and 1st Street N. The pavers shall be retained or replaced in their current location to match the other four corners of the intersection. The benches shall be reused in accordance with the site plan.

I disagree with point #5. It's basically telling them to stop trying to make unique pop on your buildings and just make it very basic.

And here's an update on the town homes facing 1st: http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 147518.pdf

3.The railings on the fourth floor shall be modified to be more transparent, consistent with the Saint Anthony Falls Historic District Design Guidelines.

4.The fiber cement on the fourth floor of the front (west) elevation shall be replaced with the same metal panel that is proposed as an accent material on the second and third floors on the front elevation to reduce the number of materials and simplify the façade in compliance with the Saint Anthony Falls Design Guidelines.

5.The white fiber cement on the rear (east) elevation shall be replaced with white stucco, in compliance with the Saint Anthony Falls Design Guidelines.

6.The gray fiber cement panel on the rear (east) elevation shall be replaced with the same metal panel proposed on the front of the building to reduce the number of materials and simplify the façade in compliance with the Saint Anthony Falls Design Guidelines.

7.The burnished block on the first floor of the rear (east) elevation shall match the color of the proposed brick on the rear elevation to simplify the façade in compliance with the Saint Anthony Falls Design Guidelines.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 19th, 2015, 12:53 pm

Just to clarify Grant's post for others reading, those are CPED staff's recommendations to the HPC, not changes proposed by the developer. If HPC approves the project with all of those conditions attached, I think it is inevitable that Ryan will appeal one or more of them to the City Council.
I hopethey appeal the "no hanging balconies" condition. There have been several condo conversions of actual historic buildings in the area that have exterior hanging balconies...and they look fine. So why prohibit a new building from having them?

I think the apartment building along Hennepin looks pretty good. The townhomes along 1st Ave are too bland. Very monotonous design without any differentiation between each unit facade. It basically looks like a long skinny apartment building rather than actual rowhomes. I wish it had little more "classic rowhome" feel to it. Cheap suburban townhomes built in the early-00s boom wore it better :P

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 19th, 2015, 1:22 pm

Minneapolis is a historic city... can't we have quality of materials guidelines across the whole city? lol... these changes are all so good and reasonable.

BUT also... the exterior design got SO much better and cohesive. I'm a super happy camper right now.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 19th, 2015, 1:58 pm

Hanging balconies always look ticky-tacky, straight up.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 19th, 2015, 2:13 pm

This project is really changing for the better I think. Fun to watch it morph!

First rendering:
May rendering:

And now we have what Nathan posted above. It'll probably be even better after the HPC meeting.

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » August 19th, 2015, 2:35 pm

I'm sure I'm missing something, but other than the different angle, what's different between those two renderings?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » August 19th, 2015, 2:41 pm

I'm sure I'm missing something, but other than the different angle, what's different between those two renderings?
This may help.

Initial rendering:

May rendering:

Latest rendering:

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 19th, 2015, 2:58 pm

The Northern most side now has an angled cut out that is trimmed out in copper and rises above the majority roofline to create a really good sense of height and distention to the tallest section.

All "three" sections of the building have the same material usage until the 4th floor. lots more consistency in color and brick there.

There are no longer materials that just die out oddly in a random outside corner. each of the three sections has its own distinct theme.

Mostly that penthouse on the north side too creates a sense of place... its a much more dramatic feature.

Mcgizz
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mcgizz » August 19th, 2015, 3:01 pm

The new rendering is nice. There is not much to dislike here. These are all steps forward. The biggest loss at this site will be the numerous large trees that will bite the dust. Too bad really.