Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mulad

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby mulad » August 30th, 2013, 7:07 pm

You're looking for "imminent", not "eminent" -- I try not to play word police around here, but "eminent" fires off all sorts of red flags when talking about development...

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » August 30th, 2013, 9:44 pm

Thank you, that is actually a pet peeve of mine. That's what I get for not proof reading before I hit 'submit'.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » September 3rd, 2013, 7:50 am

There appears to be some excavation work going on in the parking lot behind the Metrodome along 4th St. Maybe this is site preparation work, since I didn't think actual construction activities would begin until October at the earliest.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » September 3rd, 2013, 8:29 am

Also, here is a rendering of what Minneapolis Venture had proposed for the plaza.
Brilliant! Unique! Cutting Edge! Could not be better for such a prominent location!! Definitely Pritzker-Prize!!!

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 3rd, 2013, 8:48 am

LOL, A way to show what the land use potential is, for land sale pricing. Too bad the city and Stadium council did not have good hind sight to hold on to that parking garage. Now they pay market price!

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 3rd, 2013, 8:50 am

i have to agree with some of the comments. how many acres of land is this developer sitting on? multiple parcels with no activity. i hope something will be announced soon regarding leasing at block e. doesn't this developer also own land further south on hennepin?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 3rd, 2013, 11:23 am

"In 2011, Minneapolis Venture successfully appealed its property tax assessment and obtained a reduced assessment of $4.5 million," Kelm-Helgen's statement said. "Recently, Minneapolis Venture has submitted a letter to the MSFA that states that they believe the property is worth between $24 (million) to $26 million."

Talk about trying to have your cake and eat it too.

Lux had his sites set on the 10th and Hennepin block. I believe that this was one of the sites that was wrapped up in the Binger estate brouhaha, and I don't know if Lux actually acquired the site or was just partnering on developing it.

EDIT: It appears that they did acquire that block.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 3rd, 2013, 11:35 am

For comparison purposes, the 10th and Hennepin block is valued at about $6m. As we all know, it has no improvements outside of a large billboard.

Historical curiosity -- it appears that the city acquired about 60' of that block when 10th Street was realigned.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 3rd, 2013, 1:11 pm

similar as with the twins stadium. the landowners looking to squeeze out over penny they can. i suppose it's expected.

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » September 3rd, 2013, 1:40 pm

A vikings fansite that I help work on is conducting an interview with Lester Bagley in which he reveals some details bout the stadium. When it is ready to air I will provide the link here so that people may view it.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 3rd, 2013, 2:07 pm

similar as with the twins stadium. the landowners looking to squeeze out over penny they can. i suppose it's expected.
Exactly. The new stadium does increase the value of the land surrounding it, although it's pretty obvious they are hyperinflating its value. It's a thing called greed! ;)

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » September 3rd, 2013, 2:21 pm

Exactly. The new stadium does increase the value of the land surrounding it, although it's pretty obvious they are hyperinflating its value. It's a thing called greed! ;)
Not be confused with civil racketeering and fraud. Which is what Zygi and other members of the Wilf tribe were found to have committed by a New Jersey judge last month.

This world is so backwards sometimes. I cannot believe the Minnesota Vikings ownership is being given one cent.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » September 3rd, 2013, 2:49 pm

^^^
The state is not giving money to the Wilf's or the Vikings. They are building a facility that the Vikings and other local entities can play in. Seems you may have your information incorrect.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 3rd, 2013, 3:59 pm

^^^
The state is not giving money to the Wilf's or the Vikings. They are building a facility that the Vikings and other local entities can play in. Seems you may have your information incorrect.
Said facility will increase the value of the Vikings significantly. They *are* giving the Wilfs money.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 3rd, 2013, 9:03 pm

let's debate this tired subject another ten years. yes these are rich people getting richer off the public dime. shocking that's it so unique to minnesota....we're so different and special here. i'm falling off my fainting couch. they're going to shove this stadium down your throats and if you don't like it move to a city without major league professional sports. Duluth is nice.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 3rd, 2013, 9:44 pm

let's debate this tired subject another ten years. yes these are rich people getting richer off the public dime. shocking that's it so unique to minnesota....we're so different and special here. i'm falling off my fainting couch. they're going to shove this stadium down your throats and if you don't like it move to a city without major league professional sports. Duluth is nice.
I doubt the investigation into the Wilf's financial dealings with the state or stadium financing will find anything illegal. Yes, they are very selfish and greedy, and that's exactly why they don't want to get into trouble with this project in particular.

Thanks to Mark Dayton, we are going to get an amazing facility that is spurring huge investments into DTE. There are going to be thousands of good paying construction jobs for skilled union workers for several years. It will end up being a huge asset to our community, in addition to giving us national , if not international recognition as a world class city. I mean, what's up with people who don't like this project ? :?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 4th, 2013, 9:39 am

Thanks to Mark Dayton, we are going to get an amazing facility that is spurring huge investments into DTE.
That is very debatable. I can't honestly imagine that proximity to a giant facility used eight Sundays a year is a huge selling point. It will be a hole in the neighborhood the vast majority of the year.

Yes, yes, I'm aware it will be used for more than football. But if the selling point is large crowds of potential customers, then that's not going to happen except for concerts and monster truck rallies. Those don't happen but a few times a year. And now we'll have *four* major concert venues. Great, let's further dilute our bargaining power.

I have a really hard time believing you don't understand why people don't like it. You might disagree but you can't be completely dumbfounded.

For the record, I always said that if we have to build this thing, it should be in Minneapolis. To limit sprawl if nothing else.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » September 4th, 2013, 10:57 am

For the record, I always said that if we have to build this thing, it should be in Minneapolis. To limit sprawl if nothing else.
I don't know how much sprawl a stadium induces, but at the very least locating it in Minneapolis leverages our existing (and growing) infrastructure and is centrally located to the region's population. My problem is that the stadium should still interact with the public realm a little better. The plaza design, tunnel access from the trenched 4th St, required parking and skyways, and blank walls do nothing to support this. Yes, a 2x3 block mega-structure will never be perfect, but I really think it could be a heck of a lot better...

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 4th, 2013, 11:28 am

Things are looking up! Wilf's legal issues won't effect their ability to fund the stadium.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... adium.html

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » September 4th, 2013, 12:52 pm

Great, let's get the shovels goin'!

Get this, Wells Fargo/Ryan Co's, Alatus, Sherman and any other developments in the area underway and watch this part of town explode!