Mayo Clinic Square

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Silophant

Re: Mayo Clinic Square (formerly Block E)

Postby Silophant » September 9th, 2014, 6:48 pm

In an effort to win Minneboy's approval, they started painting the building a slightly different shade of grey today.

Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 9th, 2014, 6:53 pm

I laughed way to long at that. Can someone explain why they might want to paints the cement since it's not even really going to show when finished?

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » September 9th, 2014, 7:09 pm

It's most likely liquid applied waterproofing. That stuff is actually kind of the state of the art when it comes to waterproofing, these days. Far easier to build, and less prone to leaks, than the Tyvek-type sheet waterproofing.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 9th, 2014, 7:15 pm

That's what I thought, also this is starting to look nothing like the rendering.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 9th, 2014, 10:05 pm

There are quite a few new windows being cut into this building. Those on the 7th street side on the upper levels look a story and a half if not two stories. Saw the new portico for the Lowes Hotel this afternoon. Not sure how I feel about the cor-ton steel that faces the sidewalk. Also notice some new construction to the left of Lowes lobby where the Starbucks used to be. I thikg that is maybe the new first street entrance to the complex and skyways.
I just biked by today, I'm pretty sure that the portico/drive up hasn't changed since I can remember. It's always had a core10 accent next to the sidewalk.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » September 10th, 2014, 12:09 pm

There are quite a few new windows being cut into this building. Those on the 7th street side on the upper levels look a story and a half if not two stories. Saw the new portico for the Lowes Hotel this afternoon. Not sure how I feel about the cor-ton steel that faces the sidewalk. Also notice some new construction to the left of Lowes lobby where the Starbucks used to be. I thikg that is maybe the new first street entrance to the complex and skyways.
The Starbuck's was still there last week. I didn't know it was closing.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 10th, 2014, 12:52 pm

The Starbuck's was still there last week. I didn't know it was closing.
Pretty sure the starbucks is still where it was too. just behind the new construction.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » September 11th, 2014, 10:07 am

It's most likely liquid applied waterproofing. That stuff is actually kind of the state of the art when it comes to waterproofing, these days. Far easier to build, and less prone to leaks, than the Tyvek-type sheet waterproofing.
It is possible that there are two things at play here:
1. The waterproofing that you speak of
2. The "rain screen" in which case this surface WILL show through "beyond" the rain screen. I don't think that you can judge it until the rain screen material goes on because it is uncertain what the wall assembly is going to be. It makes sense to update the wall assembly now while everything is all torn apart.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 11th, 2014, 10:59 am

Yes, I'm guessing this is the case as well.

Normally a liquid applied water-proofing membrane is some crazy green or pink proprietary color, but there's no particular reason it couldn't be grey, and then be semi-exposed as a back up behind the sort of perforated panels that the renderings suggest. It would need to be tested to be UV stable, because normally the water-proofing is only exposed for a few months during construction, not for the whole life of the building.

From the pictures, it looks like the joints and unevenness of the underlying wall board is telegraphing through, but I'm guessing the rain screen will hide most of this.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 29th, 2014, 7:38 pm

Metal bars being laid across the surface. For the meshing I presume?

ImageWP_20140929_009 by grant.simons, on Flickr

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 29th, 2014, 8:06 pm

If you take a walk along 7th down by the old Hard Rock Cafe you will see the mock up for the exterior of the building. There will be grey and black metal panels that will go one first with the Wire mesh sitting a few inches off in certain areas of the building. There also looks to be some cultured stone for accents which I believe will be along the street level.I'm glad to see all of the extra windows that have been added and the extra tall ones on the 3rd or 4th floor. Is there enough room to put in a 4th floor in the Mayo space or will it just have that high of ceilings like the Timberwolves and Lynx practice courts. That would seem like some really wasted space.

Noticed that they have added some stone to the columns on the new 1st avenue entrance to the building. Same material as the portico of the Lowes. I'm quite interested to see how that side of the block turns out. If the Lowes does a full redo of their floors above their entrance or if that is still considered part of the Block E. That was the lobby up to the Theaters once upon a time.
Last edited by Wedgeguy on September 29th, 2014, 10:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » September 29th, 2014, 8:07 pm

They just put up the new video board too. The amount of windows really is surprising me. This will be much better than the old exterior.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 29th, 2014, 8:13 pm

They just put up the new video board too. The amount of windows really is surprising me. This will be much better than the old exterior.
Get those video boards going and producing revenue again for Alatus!! They sure can be going without the building needing to be finished. They were going during the dismantling of the old facade. That is the corner of the building that you will want to start from!!
Last edited by Wedgeguy on September 29th, 2014, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 29th, 2014, 8:14 pm

Funny that the clinic inside actually opens this Wednesday

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 29th, 2014, 8:17 pm

There is your explanation for why that side of the building was started first. Get Mayo in and renting as soon as possible. Timberwolve can still practice elsewhere and will probably be the next in line to be completed before the lower 2 levels are completed. I'm sure that Keiran would like their area completed ASAP as that has to be hurting business somewhat. That corner around to the South end of the hotel I would think they want to get completed before Timberwolves get too far into their season. HAve not gone into the Lowes lobby to see what kind of remodeling is going on there with the new skyway connection being built.
Last edited by Wedgeguy on September 29th, 2014, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 29th, 2014, 8:21 pm

There is your explanation for why that side of the building was started first. Get Mayo in and renting as soon as possible.
And why those windows on the upper levels are already finished, at least in that corner

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 29th, 2014, 8:22 pm

I heard from someone I'd think would know that the basketball practice facilities already opened but we're so loud with bouncing balls that the whole thing had to be torn up and redone with better soundproofing. Is that real? I don't remember seeing it reported.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 29th, 2014, 8:28 pm

Sometimes they forget about the most basic things. Sound would sure be filling that space and bouncing off the walls, floors, and ceiling if they spaced out proper acoustic remedies. That or they tried to cut corners and save a few bucks that only came back to bite them in the a$$ with having to spend money to redo instead of doing it right the first time.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 29th, 2014, 10:21 pm

the metal ribbing is to mount the siding panels to, the mesh will be bolted into the anchoring points you can see embedded in the wall.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 29th, 2014, 10:29 pm

Yeah that was my original assumption before they laid the metal across. But now I can picture how it's all going to go together.