Co-ops

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Chef
Landmark Center

Re: Seward Co-op Friendship Store - (38th St & Clinton Ave)

Postby Chef » January 20th, 2014, 9:27 pm

Most produce destined for supermarket shelves or restaurant use is shipped by truck, not by train. Trains are used for grains, other bulk goods and foods destined for industrial processing.

I was the head chef of the French Meadow for three years. Because of the price points we were trying to hit I had to make sure that our spending on organics was targeted towards areas that would give us our biggest bang for the buck. I taste tested a lot of product. Organic fruit is a slam dunk, it is more expensive but it is significantly better tasting, on average. Other produce is generally better to but the quality/flavor difference is not as great as with fruit. Organic condiments like ketchup are also noticeably better. The biggest improvement in meat quality comes from range and feed techniques rather than from being strictly organic. The difference in quality in bulk goods like flour or corn meal isn't that big but they are cheap enough that it doesn't really matter. A few things, like dried black beans are cheaper to buy organic than conventional.

I don't care if processed vegan food is organic, it still scares the crap out of me. You shouldn't be able to make soy beans taste like sausage. It is wrong. And immoral. But I still sold it.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Seward Co-op Friendship Store - (38th St & Clinton Ave)

Postby talindsay » January 21st, 2014, 8:32 am

Most produce destined for supermarket shelves or restaurant use is shipped by truck, not by train. Trains are used for grains, other bulk goods and foods destined for industrial processing.

I was the head chef of the French Meadow for three years. Because of the price points we were trying to hit I had to make sure that our spending on organics was targeted towards areas that would give us our biggest bang for the buck. I taste tested a lot of product. Organic fruit is a slam dunk, it is more expensive but it is significantly better tasting, on average. Other produce is generally better to but the quality/flavor difference is not as great as with fruit. Organic condiments like ketchup are also noticeably better. The biggest improvement in meat quality comes from range and feed techniques rather than from being strictly organic. The difference in quality in bulk goods like flour or corn meal isn't that big but they are cheap enough that it doesn't really matter. A few things, like dried black beans are cheaper to buy organic than conventional.

I don't care if processed vegan food is organic, it still scares the crap out of me. You shouldn't be able to make soy beans taste like sausage. It is wrong. And immoral. But I still sold it.
Best post ever. Seriously, this is really helpful. Also, I'm a fan of French Meadow. Thanks.

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Co-ops

Postby Nick » January 21st, 2014, 6:31 pm

http://www.startribune.com/business/241375221.html
Target to drop health insurance for part-time employees

Target Corp. said Tuesday that it will stop offering health insurance to its part-time employees because new online health exchanges offer workers an opportunity to buy coverage.

The Minneapolis-based retailer will give each worker $500 toward coverage, and has arranged for one-on-one consultations with benefits manager Towers Watson to help with the transition.

[...]
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 21st, 2014, 6:37 pm

Eh, if insurance can be gotten cheaper through the exchanges then this is a win for all. Pretty shoddy reporting to not dig into the details at all.

Realstreets
Nicollet Mall

Postby Realstreets » February 4th, 2014, 9:01 am

Seward Coop is amazing! I'm thinking about moving there partly because of the coop. When it comes to produce, Seward Coop often times has a better selection and is cheap than any Cub Foods. Try and find organic kale at cub foods. At the Co-op you can get a huge bunch for about $2-3. Add to that the fact that most produce at Cub Foods is half rotted. Sure your processed food is surely cheaper at Cub Foods. Personally, organic produce is most important as I don't want to directly ingest pesticides. To be honest, I'm willing to sacrifice some gasoline for organic produce and local employment. Although that's even debatable, considering almost all Cub/Rainbow/Lunds produce comes from California or even as far as South America. To me most grocery stores in Minneapolis (Cub, Rainbow, Lunds) are relics that haven't changed since the 90s. Furthermore, cheap bulk ingredients are hardly a monument to upper-class excess.

Looking forward their new store in Powderhorn.