DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Re: Star Tribune Blocks

Postby Le Sueur » January 12th, 2013, 2:17 am

Wells Fargo just announced today a $5.1 Billion profit in Q4... so hopefully that leads them to do the deal- and not cut corners on the project either
This means they have to commit before April so they can deduct it from their taxes right? ... Wait do banks pay taxes anymore, or are they just optional? :lol:

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 12th, 2013, 8:02 am

Well in this case they would defer a lot of their tax obligation until later on.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 12th, 2013, 9:01 am

Let's turn 5th street into a linear park and tell Ryan Conpanies to pay their taxes instead.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 12th, 2013, 9:25 am

2 blocks of park/plaza, I just don't understand how that is going to draw people to the new stadium/DTE... especially after tearing down one of the few pre 1950's buildings in the area down :(

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 12th, 2013, 3:45 pm

Went out a grabbed a picture of the area on my lunch break yesterday. I had my choice of three huge parking ramps, I went with Gateway. I really, really hope someone figures out a way to tear down the Gateway Ramp at some point in the next couple decades, or hopefully sooner.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 12th, 2013, 4:06 pm

For anyone who may enjoy downtown from afar more often then up close, I made a quick map in MS paint to show some of the challenges with this site. I work in that image, and would love more lunch options. But it is a very challenging site. Of course, the first person to buy a condo in the Mill District twenty years ago was probably taking a risk too, and that turned out pretty well.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 12th, 2013, 5:21 pm

The Gateway Ramp is terrible and acts like a fortress disconnecting everything around it. It's almost as bad as the one on Nicollet Mall where Xcel is going. I hope it blows away someday! The block itself has a lot of potential for redevelopment though, and the Ryan project will make it more desirable for that at some point ( I hope).

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » January 12th, 2013, 6:22 pm

Before we worry about the ramp, I'd rather do something with all the surface parking adjacent to the ramp. Which, assuming the Ryan development happens, wouldn't the blocks west and east of the Gateway Ramp be two of the prime spots to put a new tower? It'd have skyway access if you connect it to the Gateway Ramp, be close to City Hall, the courts and government offices, the Ryan project right there, Whole Foods 4-5 blocks away, Guthrie and the mill district about 4 blocks away, and should be able to get both great skyline and river views on those spots. And Washington Ave and the Riverfront are supposedly going to become nicer, some day. Maybe I'm in an overly optimistic mood, but couldn't that become a great spot for a very tall mixed use tower?

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » January 12th, 2013, 7:48 pm

Emanuel Housing is not a homeless shelter.
Towns!

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 12th, 2013, 8:29 pm

I was going to just put "shelter" but thought that was simpler. Your average condo buyer probably isn't going to differentiate.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » January 12th, 2013, 9:02 pm

It's not a "shelter" either. No need to embellish your map of "lowlights" to make your point.
Towns!

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 12th, 2013, 9:11 pm

Would you like me to change it to "supportive housing for recovering substance abusers"?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » January 12th, 2013, 9:23 pm

Just leave it. The damage is done.

Seriously, though. I don't think it belongs on your lowlights list. People will be living there (and paying rent!), not staying the night or week when they have nowhere else to go. It will have a very different feel than people serving people down the street. And yet, even PSP is surrounded by condos.
Towns!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 12th, 2013, 9:26 pm

What's it for? Substance abusers?

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » January 12th, 2013, 9:34 pm

Not exclusively. It's supportive housing more in general. Some units specifically for veterans. Rents around $500.
Towns!

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » January 13th, 2013, 9:39 am

I was going to just put "shelter" but thought that was simpler. Your average condo buyer probably isn't going to differentiate.
There are two condo buildings on the same block as PSP. If you're going make a map and then project your own personal biases onto condo buyers, at least check the Hennepin County website for the basic facts.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 13th, 2013, 11:46 am

Not exclusively. It's supportive housing more in general. Some units specifically for veterans. Rents around $500.
Yes, If I remember correctly , it is much needed supportive housing for people having chronic mental illness. It should be a well run place, and good neighbor to the area surrounding it.

helsinki
Landmark Center

Postby helsinki » January 13th, 2013, 12:34 pm

I assume the visual intends to convey the challenges of the site. Which is odd. Essentially greenfield development opportunity adjacent to LRT, the CBD and the river. The 'shelter' of PSP abuts a very nice and fully occupied condo building full of yuppies and empty nesters. This is not a challenging site.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » January 13th, 2013, 1:12 pm

Maybe Nick was a little harsh on the homeless shelter label, but that's only one part of the map. Rather than nitpick about the one label, look at the broader picture. His map shows how challenging development here will be. Look at all the other uses--prisons, fortress parking ramps, surface parking lots, and hostile auto oriented streetscapes? No thanks.

It's interesting to note that pretty much all of these drawbacks are government owned, essentially making the govt the main culprit when it comes to making DTE an attractive place to live and develop.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 13th, 2013, 3:44 pm

Maybe Nick was a little harsh on the homeless shelter label, but that's only one part of the map. Rather than nitpick about the one label, look at the broader picture. His map shows how challenging development here will be. Look at all the other uses--prisons, fortress parking ramps, surface parking lots, and hostile auto oriented streetscapes? No thanks.

It's interesting to note that pretty much all of these drawbacks are government owned, essentially making the govt the main culprit when it comes to making DTE an attractive place to live and develop.
If that's true do you realize how lucky that makes us? It'd be so much worse if it were owned by private owners, let alone multiple private owners! At least we're dealing mostly with one entity in this situation, and that entity is generally not in the business of holding land for speculation.

The prison is not going anywhere, but I guess it could be a worse situation.