Theater Garage Marquee Apartments - (Franklin & Lyndale)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
twincitizen

Re: Theater Garage Marquee Apartments - (Franklin & Lyndale)

Postby twincitizen » February 14th, 2014, 12:05 pm

Can woofner please hook us up with the section that talks about CUP for height? Each zoning district has a stated height limit, but it can always be increased by CUP if I understand correctly.

Minneapolis zoning code is infinitely more complex than the one I work with...

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 14th, 2014, 12:20 pm

548.110. Increasing maximum height.

The height limitations of principal structures located in the commercial districts, except single and two-family dwellings, may be increased by conditional use permit, as provided in Chapter 525, Administration and Enforcement. In addition to the conditional use standards, the city planning commission shall consider, but not be limited to, the following factors when determining the maximum height:

(1)
Access to light and air of surrounding properties.
(2)
Shadowing of residential properties, significant public spaces, or existing solar energy systems.
(3)
The scale and character of surrounding uses.
(4)
Preservation of views of landmark buildings, significant open spaces or water bodies.
(2011-Or-012, § 1, 2-11-11)
http://library.municode.com/HTML/11490/ ... .110INMAHE

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 14th, 2014, 12:25 pm

And I think these are the conditional use standards:
525.340. Required findings for conditional use permits.

The city planning commission shall make each of the following findings before granting a conditional use permit:

(1)
The establishment, maintenance or operation of the conditional use will not be detrimental to or endanger the public health, safety, comfort or general welfare.
(2)
The conditional use will not be injurious to the use and enjoyment of other property in the vicinity and will not impede the normal and orderly development and improvement of surrounding property for uses permitted in the district.
(3)
Adequate utilities, access roads, drainage, necessary facilities or other measures, have been or will be provided.
(4)
Adequate measures have been or will be taken to minimize traffic congestion in the public streets.
(5)
The conditional use is consistent with the applicable policies of the comprehensive plan.
(6)
The conditional use shall, in all other respects, conform to the applicable regulations of the district in which it is located.
http://library.municode.com/HTML/11490/ ... REFICOUSPE

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 14th, 2014, 12:32 pm

Face it, a four story build will still block their view and still cast a shadow in the winter time. You are not going to get a 30 foot set back so you can keep your sunlight, when no one else in the city get that kind of option unless you buy the property next door and tear down and leave empty and still have to pay property taxes, assessments, and other things for that empty property, just to have sunlight. I live in a house that has some late morning sun, no afternoon sun because the house next door to me is of equal height and my first floor gets no sunlight and only the 3 floor really gets any of the southern light, I have plenty of western light which the 3 houses will also get so they will never be totally without sunshine. When you have an apartment or condo you look at what could be built next to you if you have open or redevelop able space before you buy or move in. You do not do your home work then you are F****d. Just because it is presently zoned something does not mean that that zoning is set in stone for eternity. Just look at the North Loop that went from industrial to mixed use and residential. 180 degrees from it's original use.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 14th, 2014, 12:54 pm

548.110. Increasing maximum height.

The height limitations of principal structures located in the commercial districts, except single and two-family dwellings, may be increased by conditional use permit, as provided in Chapter 525, Administration and Enforcement. In addition to the conditional use standards, the city planning commission shall consider, but not be limited to, the following factors when determining the maximum height:

(1)
Access to light and air of surrounding properties.
(2)
Shadowing of residential properties, significant public spaces, or existing solar energy systems.
(3)
The scale and character of surrounding uses.
(4)
Preservation of views of landmark buildings, significant open spaces or water bodies.
(2011-Or-012, § 1, 2-11-11)
http://library.municode.com/HTML/11490/ ... .110INMAHE

1) How much access? 15' still provides ambient natural light and air flow (as evidenced by the properties who are currently within 10' of each other). Who determines what is an adequate amount, is there some standard?
2) Similar to 1, how much shadowing is too much? We have precedent all across the city of 4-6 story apartment buildings shading nearby structures or individual units.
3) This one is sooo loosey-goosey. Is this really meant to prevent a 40 story building from plopping right next to a bunch of 2-story ones? Or is it meant to be as heavy handed as to determine 6 story buildings are out of line with 3.5-4 story ones?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 14th, 2014, 12:57 pm

Also, it sounds like there's no way to get a height variance on a single family building, which might kill my dreams of building a 2 story home with a rooftop deck
</offtopic>

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 14th, 2014, 1:03 pm

Also, it sounds like there's no way to get a height variance on a single family building, which might kill my dreams of building a 2 story home with a rooftop deck
</offtopic>
If the surrounding neighborhood houses have a 3rd/attic story that will be equal or above your deck I see no reason for denying an application.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » February 14th, 2014, 10:29 pm

I am currently fighting a very painful battle in support of this on a City Pages Facebook post. Everyone who lives in this ward, please contact CM Bender in support of this project if you want to see it built. It's going to need it.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 14th, 2014, 10:41 pm

Ugh, I found the post and now I'm just angry at people's ignorance. So many claims that increased supply leads to increased prices. And lots of people that just don't like the design, but really I think they can just stuff it. Design is mostly subjective, and everyone's going to complain about something.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 16th, 2014, 11:13 am

Face it, a four story build will still block their view and still cast a shadow in the winter time. You are not going to get a 30 foot set back so you can keep your sunlight, when no one else in the city get that kind of option unless you buy the property next door and tear down and leave empty and still have to pay property taxes, assessments, and other things for that empty property, just to have sunlight. I live in a house that has some late morning sun, no afternoon sun because the house next door to me is of equal height and my first floor gets no sunlight and only the 3 floor really gets any of the southern light, I have plenty of western light which the 3 houses will also get so they will never be totally without sunshine. When you have an apartment or condo you look at what could be built next to you if you have open or redevelop able space before you buy or move in. You do not do your home work then you are F****d. Just because it is presently zoned something does not mean that that zoning is set in stone for eternity. Just look at the North Loop that went from industrial to mixed use and residential. 180 degrees from it's original use.
I agree wholeheartedly, and share the same ire for people who don't seem to understand this. But from what I've learned about most people is that they're generally very irrational when it comes to things that affect their lives, especially their home lives.

It's really no different than dealing with small children, and the solution is probably similar: give them a choice between two or more options. That way they feel that they are in control and part of the solution. That's what I'd recommend in this case.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 16th, 2014, 11:18 am

Ugh, I found the post and now I'm just angry at people's ignorance. So many claims that increased supply leads to increased prices. And lots of people that just don't like the design, but really I think they can just stuff it. Design is mostly subjective, and everyone's going to complain about something.
Increased supply usually DECREASES prices, at least according to just about every economic model ever produced.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » February 17th, 2014, 8:55 am

I went in and posted some rebuttals to some of the comments. Why do people have to be so afraid of change???

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 18th, 2014, 10:42 am

Alex and I have been banned from the MRRDC Facebook group (we can't post comments) and they deleted all of our comments. Anybody else able to post on the page?

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » February 18th, 2014, 10:49 am

Alex and I have been banned from the MRRDC Facebook group (we can't post comments) and they deleted all of our comments. Anybody else able to post on the page?
Have the page link? I'd be happy to post on someone's behalf.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 18th, 2014, 10:55 am

They went off the deep end over the past day or two... no sense in even trying to rationalize with people who are so out of touch. They're following the Dinkytown Not Megatown playbook. The good thing is that playbook failed to damage the city to their liking.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 18th, 2014, 11:03 am

I was gonna respond to someone who claimed that new development raised everybody's rent, but didn't get a chance to. But really, I think the whole page is just Deanna, the woman whose coop overlooks this lot.

I'm not sure if there's any point in antagonizing her anymore, but here you go:
https://www.facebook.com/MplsRRDC

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » February 18th, 2014, 11:14 am

I wouldn't say that page is worth anyone's time any more.

However I would encourage all of you to visit one last time and take a look at the lovely political cartoon they posted.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » February 18th, 2014, 11:19 am

Yikes. I wish I hadn't known that page existed.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 18th, 2014, 2:29 pm

Does anyone know if there were single family homes (I imagine there was?) on the site of the two multi family buildings right there on Aldrich? A point could be made that redeveloping land for higher density housing and better mixed use has been a long time value of Minneapolis and an integral part of that neighborhood. that idea of expansion is allowing them to live in a "historic" multifamily building that was in fact a redevelopment similar to what is going on at Franklin and Lyndale. I can't remember that historic aerials site that some people use sometimes...

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 18th, 2014, 2:30 pm

2007 Aldrich was built in 1923 and the building to the north was built in 1913, there probably won't be any aerials, but there had to have been something there, so close to the Lyndale and Franklin and Hennepin Streetcars.