The Eclipse

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Re: The Eclipse

Postby FISHMANPET » February 27th, 2014, 10:58 am

Archiapolis. Are you saying we should not live in downtown? Downtown is a central location for us. Makes sense to us. And even if we both worked in the western suburbs, who cares? It would be our decision to live downtown, because that is where everything we do outside of work is. I dont know that many people that live downtown, but the ones I do commute out of the core to their jobs. If there is a need for the developer to build parking spaces, let him do it. That is not anyone's decision but the developers. How it looks is a different thing. But the number of spaces is not. The developer isnt going to waste money building extra spaces for sh!ts and giggles. There is an obvious demand that needs to be met.
Well I know someone who lives downtown and works downtown and doesn't even own a car so I just destroyed your anecdote.

By setting parking maximums the city has decided that downtown is not a bedroom community for jobs in the suburbs. The city doesn't want you to live downtown if you have a car dependent lifestyle, they want you to live somewhere else. This location isn't even that convenient to any freeways, other than 394. Someplace in the Mill District or North Loop would give you much better access.

And, for what it's worth, looking at the plans, I'm fairly certain the floors of the parking ramp are level, with sloped ramps in the middle. They shouldn't be too hard to convert if/when the time comes.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » February 27th, 2014, 11:25 am

Are you serious? How did you destroy anything of mine? I specifically gave an example of why 2 cars are necessary for us, and why we would prefer to live downtown. And used my freinds as examples to show that not everyone who lives downtown works downtown. But nice try.

And I have never heard of a project being shut down by the council for exceeding the parking maximums. But feel free to show me an example. I am sure the city of Minneapolis would welcome me with open arms as a resident of downtown and let me pay property taxes. So not sure where you figure the city doesnt want me living downtown if I dont work downtown. But I am sure you speak for the city. And this location is plenty close to 394 and 35W. Driving down Washington to 35W is NOT a long drive.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 27th, 2014, 11:36 am

Why does downtown have to be a place that caters to the car dependent. The entire rest of the metro area caters to the car dependent, why do we need to remake downtown to cater to that as well? I have no doubt that you could use two cars if you lived here. I have a coworker that lives in Albertville and commutes to the U, which sometimes takes him hours. He certainly can do it, doesn't make it any less of a stupid thing to do.

And this is, to my knowledge, the first project that has been proposed that exceeds the parking maximum.

And if you want to live in the city, there are thousands of places you could live. Or, the city could get a real person to live in the space your car is taking up, thus creating more value and generating more property tax revenue.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » February 27th, 2014, 11:50 am

We dont live in Manhattan, or the Loop in Chicago. This is Minneapolis. We do not have the mass transit infrastructure to allow people to completely ditch their cars. If I want to live downtown and have two cars, that is my business. Not yours. And if someone wants to develop a property that accomodates me and be profitable, they should be able to. I would LOVE to not have to own a car and all the expenses that go along with it. But that is not feasible right now. And us living downtown, we would actually use our cars MUCH less. So it is a gain for us as well. Just because you dont like people using cars, doesnt mean everyone else should just toss in their keys. Dont pretend Minneapolis is something that it isnt.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 27th, 2014, 12:05 pm

Nice try there. I also own a car, and never suggested that everybody should ditch their cars. Just maybe that if there's anywhere in the downtown where we need to build more parking than zoning currently allows, maybe it's not at one of the most transit accessible intersections in the metro. And for what it's worth, I think he should be able to build the parking he wants, even though I don't think it will all be used. Though even if he did build to the allowed maximum, there would still be plenty of spaces for some units to have 2 cars. I did the math at the top of the thread, and the difference is just so insignificant it's not worth getting into a fight over.

However, I have to take issues with the hysterical levels that defense of Apple Pie and the American Dream have risen to here.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 27th, 2014, 12:30 pm

Hey Twincitizen, now that there have been 25 consecutive posts on parking , are we permitted to criticize the design again??? ;)

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 27th, 2014, 12:50 pm

Hey Twincitizen, now that there have been 25 consecutive posts on parking , are we permitted to criticize the design again??? ;)
NO we need another 25 before you can speak up about the need for exterior design tweaks!! LOL

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » February 27th, 2014, 12:54 pm

But the Rayette was a building for humans before it was a building for car storage. So the floors were flat already. Modern parking ramp designs have nearly all parking decks at a grade, which makes it impossible to convert to other uses. Hopefully that can change.

This is an important distinction and NOT how buildings today are being designed and built. We are talking about a conversion of a historic building which is a different scenario...I applaud the idea believe me.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 27th, 2014, 1:04 pm

Can we take our parking discussions to Anything Goes where it belongs. This is a page about the Eclipse and how we perceive the buildings short coming, not the issues of who live where and how we park cars.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » February 27th, 2014, 1:41 pm

We dont live in Manhattan, or the Loop in Chicago. This is Minneapolis. We do not have the mass transit infrastructure to allow people to completely ditch their cars. If I want to live downtown and have two cars, that is my business. Not yours. And if someone wants to develop a property that accomodates me and be profitable, they should be able to. I would LOVE to not have to own a car and all the expenses that go along with it. But that is not feasible right now. And us living downtown, we would actually use our cars MUCH less. So it is a gain for us as well. Just because you dont like people using cars, doesnt mean everyone else should just toss in their keys. Dont pretend Minneapolis is something that it isnt.
Let me get this straight:

We (as a city) should encourage developers to build "as much parking as they want" because the city doesn't have the best mass transit system INSTEAD of demanding better transit and building a denser, less car dependent core? Is that the argument?

If the answer is "yes" and the proposed "solution" is to build the parking so that it can be converted to dwelling units let me preempt that argument straight away.

1. Parking ramps typically have very low floor to floor heights that are built to minimum clearances (8' 2" for an ADA van) and 7' 0" clear typical. Accounting for plumbing elbows, beams, dropped capitols for columns, etc. We are talking about 10' floor-to-floor in the case of an 8' 2" clear ramp and +/- 9' 0" floor-to-floor for a 7' 0" ramp . After a 1' 0" structural slab, we would have +/- 8' 0" to BOTTOM of exposed slab. Now, if you want to finish that underside of concrete slab, you have additional depth for framing and gyp board. Let's call it 1" so we are now down to 7' 11" clear. These floors are sloped to drain (snow/rain get on cars, that moisture has to go somewhere) - in a post-tensioned system, the slab itself is sloped, in a precast concrete condition, there is generally a poured topping ABOVE THE SLAB that is sloped to drains, so a "flat" floor doesn't really exist. In either of these scenarios, an additional topping would be required to "flatten" the floor AND, control sound transfer between floors - this is generally accomplished with a 1" - 2" topping that has sound deadening material in it. This additional topping would further decrease the ceiling height so we are down to +/-7' 9" clear floor to ceiling AT THE SLAB, reduce that another 8" - 12" at a dropped capitol in a PT system for a clear height of 6' 9". A "luxury unit" doesn't have 6' 9" ceilings.

2. A double-loaded, single drive aisle parking deck is generally *about* 60' wide (18' stall, 22' drive aisle, 18' stall + 1 tolerance each side). In many cases, there are two drive aisles and everything doubles to 120'. This is the dimension that usually drives "the box" that we see in a project with underground parking in the city. In the first scenario, putting aside the floor-to-floor problems that I've already outlined, it would be *possible* to convert one double-loaded, single drive aisle ramp into housing - IF, the units were roughly laid out ahead of time to establish column locations that work. If not - good luck designing usable units with columns all over the place. In a two drive aisle, double-loaded ramp, we are talking about a 120' overall dimension. You are going to have a massive amount of unused space in the middle as a typical dwelling unit is roughly 30' deep. 30' units at both "sides" = 60' deep, what happens to the other 60' of built parking ramp buried in the interior of a building with no access to light? Maybe you could keep that as parking but you'd have to design the ramps accordingly.

3. The ramps to each level are impossible to convert to dwelling units, you'd have to demo those and construct a new floor.

I'd love to say that developers would be willing to incur the costs to build higher floor-to-floor parking ramps and do all of the additional design work to "possibly" convert parking ramps to dwelling units someday to it would be BEYOND naive to think that they actually would. Putting aside the disposition of developers, what bank is going to lend money to such an endeavor?

Like I've said a million times on these boards, I'm nobody special; I'm just a guy with an opinion. I'm willing to listen to a refutation of what I've just written...

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » February 27th, 2014, 1:42 pm

Can we take our parking discussions to Anything Goes where it belongs. This is a page about the Eclipse and how we perceive the buildings short coming, not the issues of who live where and how we park cars.
Apologies.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 27th, 2014, 2:05 pm

Touché, sir.

I was hesitant to get involved again, but go4guy's argument that "slightly lower parking requirements = total abolishment of cars" just has to be rebutted. That kind of false equivalence is really unhelpful to the conversation. The City has parking maximums in place for a reason, and it isn't to take away your right to own a car.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 27th, 2014, 2:37 pm

Touché, sir.

I was hesitant to get involved again, but go4guy's argument that "slightly lower parking requirements = total abolishment of cars" just has to be rebutted. That kind of false equivalence is really unhelpful to the conversation. The City has parking maximums in place for a reason, and it isn't to take away your right to own a car.
Agree with 100% about the parking issue :). And I think its good to point out that many people ( myself included) live downtown and choose not to have a car. I have a lot of concern/emotion for the Hennepin /Washington intersection. It's a very important area to improve the urbanism of our downtown. We should really do it right here.
Last edited by John on February 27th, 2014, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » February 27th, 2014, 2:38 pm

Isn't most of this parking underground? Would less parking spots really equal more livable units?

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » February 27th, 2014, 4:34 pm

Isn't most of this parking underground? Would less parking spots really equal more livable units?
Good questions. The parking is hidden, right? Would fewer parking spots improve the look and feel of the development in any way? Also, would fewer parking spots result in more people living downtown (and walking the streets and patronizing local businesses) or less people?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 27th, 2014, 5:01 pm

Instead, we should desire a truly urban city and better transit that gets people to employment centers that aren't in the city.
Yet people whine and complain when we build such transit, saying, "it doesn't serve the city!"

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 27th, 2014, 5:42 pm

Instead, we should desire a truly urban city and better transit that gets people to employment centers that aren't in the city.
Yet people whine and complain when we build such transit, saying, "it doesn't serve the city!"
[off topic]I think people whine because the job centers exist to the degree they do in the burbs because of poor planning and big subsidies, and thus serving those job centers in the short-term is not the wisest use of scarce transit dollars when we have such crappy transit serving many more people, jobs, and amenities in the core that are already in walkable, dense, areas (and don't require financial and development opportunity costs in the form of multi-million dollar parking ramps to get 2 trips a day instead of the many more that car lite/free or transit dependent households would utilize other transit investments in a given day). (move this to anything goes if necessary, mods) [/off-topic]

The argument re: cars/parking here is a little circular. go4guy wants to live downtown with 2 cars and commute to the burbs because it's convenient (yay for urban freeways that reinforce Minneapolis as the heart of the region!). That is an extremely plausible situation, but it's not one that will shape out for (more than likely) 80% of the folks who will end up living in the Eclipse, even if the price tag for the units signal they could probably afford the second car. Plenty of young single people, empty nesters, young married couples with 1 or 2 working downtown, etc that may need 0-1 car, or 0-1 car + car share. go4guy thinks Stanton is right in his assessment of what the market will bear, others (myself included) disagree. I'm not overly bothered by the number of spaces if the parking entrance doesn't detract from the pedestrian experience (too much) and if they find retail tenants that cater to the daily needs of residents and not regional shoppers/diners (helping increase total walking mode share).

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 27th, 2014, 8:59 pm

Suburban job centers are not going away any time soon.

DTSB
City Center

Postby DTSB » February 28th, 2014, 7:04 am

I have no strong opinion whether there are too many car stalls or not. I just demand the car levels be easily convertible into other uses when it is determined the car spaces have been over-built.
Can you point to an example of where parking has been successfully converted to housing/other uses? I'll wager that you can't find ONE example in this city and will find very few examples in the US but I'll suspend my disbelief until I see what you can offer.
http://m.theatlanticcities.com/design/2 ... ture/7583/

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » February 28th, 2014, 7:49 am

The point I was trying to make, was that everyone who lives downtown doesnt work downtown. Therefore, would need parking for 2 cars. And I dont have the slightest clue what the market demands. But I am willing to bet that Stanton knows more about that then anyone on here. I doubt he would spend money if it wasn't necessary. And also, isnt a good portion of the parking for the other buildings on the block to make up for the parking he is taking up?