Xcel Energy HQ - 401 Nicollet

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
twincitizen

Re: Xcel Energy HQ - (401 Nicollet Mall)

Postby twincitizen » March 2nd, 2015, 12:44 pm

We kinda did that with all of the parking ramps along 5th Ave S in the 1980s-90s(?), but now that downtown east is finally developing, downtown is outgrowing those old "confines" that we artificially set.

Most of the other directions are served by large parking ramps, if not directly like ABC, they're within 2 blocks. For NB 35W into downtown, we probably can't do any better than the Leamington Ramp, which is pretty new too.

For WB 94 at 7th Street, while certainly ideal nearly-vacant sites exist there to add a ramp along the freeway (or partially on top of it), I'm not sure it's necessary. This same travel pattern (coming from the east) is also served by the Green Line, 94 bus, etc. Or you can simply stay on the freeway a bit longer and exit at 11th and use Leamington, noted above.

The only other recommendation I would make is figure out how to have southbound 35W exit directly to the 3rd/4th St trench instead of Washington Ave. That way all of that traffic could move more directly into the new stadium ramp (or Haaf/Gateway ramps up the street) and stay off of Washington Avenue.

After minimal analysis, it seems we have most of the demand covered for getting freeway traffic parked in ramps immediately. Perhaps we're just not doing a good enough job of "forcing" or guiding the traffic into those specific ramps, and instead allowing them to drive all over downtown.

aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Postby aeisenberg » March 2nd, 2015, 5:27 pm

Ever since Aaron talked about driving up the Mosaic ramp, yes.

But I get tired thinking about backing my car out of my garage onto the street, so who knows.

Sent from my phone
Worry not, I've figured out a work-around-- It's still a pain, but less tedious than a .3 mile corkscrew. I'm curious to know what these ramps will be like for tenants. Could residents really have to spend 2+ minutes driving to their parking spot? Do lower (i.e. quicker) parking spots correlate with higher stories/ better units? The world wants to know.
Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / [email protected] / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » March 3rd, 2015, 12:44 pm

Could residents really have to spend 2+ minutes driving to their parking spot? Do lower (i.e. quicker) parking spots correlate with higher stories/ better units? The world wants to know.
I'd guess the apartments are going to have some floors of reserved spots on the lower levels, then non-reserved spots above. So if taking two minutes to park is a problem, throw money at it!
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » March 4th, 2015, 8:21 am

Even a tall ramp like this wouldnt take very long to get up and down. It is a small footprint, so it isnt like you are driving the length of a long ramp just to turn to go up. It would be pretty quick. Probably 30-45 seconds.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 4th, 2015, 12:07 pm

It's really only an issue in 'event' ramps at venues where everyone leaves at once.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Postby aeisenberg » March 4th, 2015, 1:01 pm

Even a tall ramp like this wouldnt take very long to get up and down. It is a small footprint, so it isnt like you are driving the length of a long ramp just to turn to go up. It would be pretty quick. Probably 30-45 seconds.
I work at Mosaic. It takes 2 minutes driving at safe speeds from the entrance to get to the 7th floor of parking.
Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / [email protected] / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 13th, 2015, 8:25 am

Walking on Nicollet in this area is going to suck for the next couple of weeks, as they will be setting up scaffolding on the 414 side of the street as well to prepare for skyway installation. This is apparently just an investigation of the existing structure, the actual skyway won't get installed until this summer.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » March 13th, 2015, 9:08 am

I walked by here last night...and I noticed that the alley between this and Nic on 5th is huge! Same goes for the other side of the block. It's going to allow for a lovely view of the ugliest unfinished side of the Nic. I wonder why they left so much space?! I don't think there is any other point along Nicollet that has such a wide alley opening up to the streetscape. I guess the skyway between the two buildings will diminish open feeling somewhat on the Nicollet mall side.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 13th, 2015, 12:57 pm

That alley is probably there because it was where the old loading area for the Power's Store was located. The store ran on 5th from Marquette to Nicollet. So the alley was the only space that was available. Due to the city owning it, they never got rid of it. The only other alley that I'm aware of that adjoins the mall is between 9th and 10th. It is between the JB Hudson Building and the Barrio restaurants. They used the air space above the alley to put a skyway across the mall to the Target Store/Retek Building

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 25th, 2015, 9:13 am

Having been out of town for 6 weeks I was surprised yesterday on my walk downtown how fast the steel frame is going up on this project.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 25th, 2015, 10:45 am

Thankfully alleys can be reimagined into creatively small structures.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » March 31st, 2015, 3:32 pm

Finishing the steel on the 4th floor.

ImageXcel Energy HQ construction 3-31-15 by bapster2006, on Flickr

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 1st, 2015, 4:12 pm

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 2nd, 2015, 11:26 am

I know it is spring, but Nick's picture is thoroughly depressing. Lack of leaves, worse the lack of people on this end of the mall will not change much with the lack of ground floor retail.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » April 2nd, 2015, 11:42 am

There are actually quite a few people on the side of the street where the sidewalk isn't closed 50 feet ahead.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 2nd, 2015, 12:01 pm

Actually, between the light rail stop and the bus stops, this is one of the more consistently inhabited parts of Nicollet.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 2nd, 2015, 12:01 pm

There are actually quite a few people on the side of the street where the sidewalk isn't closed 50 feet ahead.
You mean at the bus stop?

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » April 2nd, 2015, 12:44 pm

Well, and before that too, there are a couple groups. Do they not count as people on the street? Well nevermind then:)

But yeah, A restaurant with sidewalk seating would help I guess? If something could go in the bottom on Nic that would be good.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 3rd, 2015, 2:04 pm

Skyway update: The 401 Nicollet skyway will run along the Nicollet Mall face of the building from the Nic on 5th connection to the Ritz block connection, basically like the way it's set up in Retek, though without skyway level retail. There will be a public skyway access point from the lobby next to the Nic on 5th skyway. The skyway across Nicollet will be totally private, with a card reader door at the 401 end. I'm not surprised, really, but also not terribly impressed.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 3rd, 2015, 2:34 pm

Well, and before that too, there are a couple groups. Do they not count as people on the street? Well nevermind then:)

But yeah, A restaurant with sidewalk seating would help I guess? If something could go in the bottom on Nic that would be good.
HAHA, you mean the Xcel employees that are out on cigarette break. I run into their foul smell when I walk by the building there. Sorry they don't count in my book.