Green Line Extension - Southwest LRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
MNdible
is great.

Re: Southwest Corridor (Green Line Extension)

Postby MNdible » April 5th, 2013, 1:09 pm

...or to come up with the multitude of ridiculous alternatives for routings on Portland, Park, 11th, 12th, etc.
They were just concerned that those less well-off get access to LRT, I'm sure.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 5th, 2013, 1:14 pm

Speaking of crazy routings... I realize this would totally mess with TOD potential at Belt Line and West Lake, but was it ever studied to keep the freight routing in place but route the LRT north through SLP to West End, then east to Downtown?

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » April 5th, 2013, 2:37 pm

That would cool to see the West End have a LRT station and have it connected with the 9 bus line so it could connect people to the retail and businesses like Allianz Life along the I-394 strip. I would have the Dan Patch line go there if it ever got built (in an alternative universe probably), and if the Southwest LRT stays on it's current planned route.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » April 5th, 2013, 10:49 pm

My friend told me about the 'bridge'. She wrote a response for the neighborhood or behalf her owner's association-
I asked her basically the same questions you've asked above; There's that much traffic on Cedar?
She complained about the EIS, and was unable to get clarification.
I'm sure they were very receptive to her comments, considering the bridge is only there as a sop to the political donors of the CIDNA neighborhood. I wonder if their donations equal the amount the consultants charged to produce these renderings, or to come up with the multitude of ridiculous alternatives for routings on Portland, Park, 11th, 12th, etc.
She may have moved there before property got expensive; she doesn't seem uppity in the least- As proof, I'll say; she talks to me ...
Her complaints about EIS were specific, or rather it's lack of specifics on mitigation. When she attempted to get an answer about how, exactly the were going to mitigate a certain item she got the 'run-around,' each EIS contributing agency told her it was another that was responsible- so she couldn't respond with any intelligence. She seemed more uptight about that process than failure to get alignment changed.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 9th, 2013, 3:04 pm

I love the cover illustration. Chhoooo chooo...

http://tcbmag.com/Industries/Transporta ... and-Henn-C
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » April 9th, 2013, 5:09 pm

So there's a chance SW will be killed????

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » April 9th, 2013, 5:40 pm

Uptown alignment!

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » April 9th, 2013, 5:49 pm

Anyone know an estimate (just a simple ballpark estimate would do) on how much more an Uptown alignment would cost compared to it's current alignment cost of $1.25 billion? Would residents there be angry at LRT construction in the neighborhoods along Hennepin, Lyndale, Nicollet or whatever street it would go under?

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » April 9th, 2013, 5:51 pm

Anyone know an estimate (just a simple ballpark estimate would do) on how much more an Uptown alignment would cost compared to it's current alignment cost of $1.25 billion? Would residents there be angry at LRT construction in the neighborhoods along Hennepin, Lyndale, Nicollet or whatever street it would go under?
IIRC it was about $500 Million. Relevant Transport Politic

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » April 9th, 2013, 6:18 pm

This exact article was posted two weeks ago and the same midtown alignment rehash ensued.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » April 9th, 2013, 6:30 pm

Sorry, I must have missed that post then. I was just curious on how much more it would cost.

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » April 9th, 2013, 6:33 pm

Oh I don't mind. Just thought the identical reaction was funny.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » April 9th, 2013, 6:35 pm

Can they not just tunnel or bridge this area? So they wouldn't need to reroute the trains. Seems like it would only need to be a mile or two long? I also would hate to see Henn ave get ripped up for LRT. If you want rail to go into uptown push for them to have it in a tunnel or on a bridge. Why would anybody want to repeat what happened on Universty?
Last edited by Chauncey87 on April 9th, 2013, 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 9th, 2013, 6:55 pm

This exact article was posted two weeks ago and the same midtown alignment rehash ensued.
Sorry, missed the link because it was Minnposted. When these topics go off topic into annoying circular discussions I usually stop reading them.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » April 9th, 2013, 7:17 pm

Why would anybody want to repeat what happened on University?
Because they'll tell us it'll be different, all the so-called pundits will agree, politicians will shout it vigorously-

Again, problem with SW line isn't Kenelworth / Uptown / Midtown alignment, it the entire SW line.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 9th, 2013, 10:20 pm

Fingers crossed, a major improvement to metro accessibility will be killed with the hopes that someday in the distant future we'll build a better line (that will destroy Nicollet Avenue).

Sigh.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » April 9th, 2013, 10:24 pm

Well I'd be hoping for a line below grade below Hennepin in the not distant future personally.

But my sense is the line is a political inevitability at this point. The stake holders are just trying to hold out for the most bacon for their side in the final arrangement. Kinda like the Vikings stadium was

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » April 9th, 2013, 11:02 pm

But my sense is the line is a political inevitability at this point. The stake holders are just trying to hold out for the most bacon for their side in the final arrangement. Kinda like the Vikings stadium was
QFT

or U of M and MPR for central
Well I'd be hoping for a line below grade below Hennepin in the not distant future personally.
Any word, whatsoever, on this?

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » April 9th, 2013, 11:08 pm

Just a personal fantasy. No illusions, let alone basis in reality, for it happening

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 15th, 2013, 2:45 pm

Just came across a sponsored status in my Facebook feed from Americans For Prosperity, encouraging me to "Oppose the Billion Dollar Rail Lind" with the typo and all. Also, the comment section totally blew up in their face, as the overwhelming majority were people in favor.