Rumors: A Historical Record of Mystery

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
TommyT
Target Field

Re: Opus Ritz Block Development

Postby TommyT » September 24th, 2014, 1:26 pm

...and Lord & Taylor would consider renovating and moving into the soon-to-be vacant Saks space.
The Saks space is being taken by an upscale Walgreens.
Confirmed?

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » September 24th, 2014, 1:56 pm

Confirmed?
That's what was all over the news in June. If it changes, it changes.
Last edited by Avian on September 24th, 2014, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » September 24th, 2014, 1:58 pm

Confirmed?
That's what was all over the news in June.
I would love to see it happen, I just thought it was tentative and not a done deal yet.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 24th, 2014, 2:13 pm

...and Lord & Taylor would consider renovating and moving into the soon-to-be vacant Saks space.
The Saks space is being taken by an upscale Walgreens.
Oh, yeah, I remember now. But my point was that they're hopefully interested in just being on Nicollet Mall, not in being on the 300 block of Nicollet Mall. Maybe they could strike a deal with whoever buys City Center to completely renovate and move into the Nicollet Mall half of the building. (Yes, I realize that this is also unlikely, since the basement, second, and third floors all have tenants.)
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » September 24th, 2014, 2:42 pm

I like your idea for Lord & Taylor. Better than a Walgreens.

Anyway, I would hope Opus would include a major retail component if they go with the residential towers. If not, that would be pretty short-sighted of them.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 24th, 2014, 4:21 pm

Anyway, I would hope Opus would include a major retail component if they go with the residential towers. If not, that would be pretty short-sighted of them.
Agree. I think this will actually be a major concern of the city when it goes through the approval process. I'm also hopeful they will skip building any parking podium along Nicollet Mall and build it ( well hidden of course) on the Marquette side where phase two will be built. It's the least they can do if they plan to build two more squat boxes with cheap materials ;)

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » September 24th, 2014, 7:17 pm

I like your idea for Lord & Taylor. Better than a Walgreens.

What part of the current proposal isn't short-sighted?

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » September 24th, 2014, 7:51 pm

It is rare for department stores to build new stores in the age of online shopping. The downtown council wanted Nordstrom but they went to Ridgedale instead. The most one could hope for would be Von Maur who was initially looking for more locations besides Eden Prairie when they entered this market. With the increasing population maybe the retail components will return, I could see more specialty retail but there is competition. LL Bean going into MOA is a perfect example. Stores like this could work downtown. I hope all of this activity and the new mall design will bring back some of the retail that has been lost.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 24th, 2014, 8:01 pm

Eh.. I feel like people in downtown still like shopping downtown, most people I've seen that walk around the skyways and the roads have shopping bags and such. Personally, and this is speaking from a 1997 kid, would still shop downtown if it was available.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 25th, 2014, 6:24 am

i remember when saks signed their letter way back and it was star tribune front page news. so lord & taylor supposedly signed on to anchor this promenade? nothing in our local business media.

that wahlgreens 7th and nicollet location is not a finalized deal yet.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... l?page=all

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » September 25th, 2014, 7:10 am

i remember when saks signed their letter way back and it was star tribune front page news. so lord & taylor supposedly signed on to anchor this promenade? nothing in our local business media.
The claim is that they signed a letter of intent.
Towns!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 25th, 2014, 9:16 am

From looking at the size of the Brooks Brothers, Men's Warehouse, and Joseph A Banks men have better sized store options for shopping for clothes than women do. I have to believe that there will be a resurgence of women's stores in the future. I was surprised how large the Brooks Brother's store was on the skyway level of City Center. You have Brooks Brothers, Len, Some food options on 3 corners of the Nicollet end of the skyway crossroads. Can't believe that the other corner is still empty. IF they put windows on the second level you could see the store that are up there and also allow people who are eating in the restaurants to be able to look out over the mall. People who will live downtown will want to have the ability to shop downtown too. This development truly needs so street level retail that faces the Nicollet Mall. They do not need an inward facing City Center on this block.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » September 25th, 2014, 9:19 am

Yeah, all the womens stores just left...pretty much the only stores in Gaviidae II were womens. Talbots, Ann Taylor and those couple other Len brands...Neiman's really had more womens too. I really wonder how that Brooks Bros is doing. They are the only somewhat upscale retailer that has left downtown and come back in recent years. Never seems busy, hope they are doing okay. Anyway...tangent.

Totally agree about the inward facing retail...Which is what I was trying to point out in that other thread on SSC. The possible "retail promonade" that may or may not have been in the works for this block does not sound good to me. It's only a block...can't fit much retail on Nicollet without having another inward facing Gaviidae type situation there. My opinions on the viability of this "promonade" that may or may not have been in the works were not well received. Not another Gaviidae or Conservatory I said.

I still have my doubts that any large retail would have had letters of intent for downtown Minneapolis without anyone catching on...not to mention with how the brick and mortar retail/dept store industry is doing these days, but that is another story. I said good day!

Azel
Metrodome

Postby Azel » September 25th, 2014, 8:34 pm

1. Is Lord & Taylor really scouting for a site in downtown or was that just a made-up scenario?

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 26th, 2014, 7:58 am

opus is going with esg on this development is that correct? i'd like to see what julie snow would do with a 30-40 story building commission. everything her firm touches is wonderful.

Brunsfield apartments is the best new building in the north loop.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 26th, 2014, 8:12 am

1. Is Lord & Taylor really scouting for a site in downtown or was that just a made-up scenario?
You'd have to ask Avian. Frankly, it all sounds a bit rumor-ish, if none of this ever leaked to the media.
I for one don't think it's worthless to talk about what's going on behind the scenes of potentially major projects. Yes, there is a Norman Foster design for the Ritz Block. I could even describe it. Yes, Lord & Taylor signed a letter of intent to anchor the retail promenade. Yes, several international firms signed letters of intent for the office portion, and yes, the Four Seasons planned a 62-story hotel here.

And sadly it seems, yes, Opus does not want to partner with anyone else but does not have the deep pockets to build anything other than two residential towers.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 26th, 2014, 8:20 am

opus is going with esg on this development is that correct? i'd like to see what julie snow would do with a 30-40 story building commission. everything her firm touches is wonderful.

Brunsfield apartments is the best new building in the north loop.
yes. please.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 26th, 2014, 8:21 am

Imagine what Julie Snow could do with 50 stories..

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 26th, 2014, 8:28 am

or vincent james. we have some local firms doing awesome designs. give them a crack at a tall building.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 26th, 2014, 8:38 am

Imagine what Julie Snow could do with 50 stories..
I think a building that tall would be a struggle for a smaller firm, they definitely could use a leg up into the mid size range. Conceptually I think she would be a great partner for a large firm with experience designing large buildings. (having said that I have no idea what her/their capabilities are and I'd be the last one to limit them) Or even if she designed the podium levels in conjunction with someone else.