Target Field Station (the Hotel) & Target Field Station (the Station)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Re: Target Field Station

Postby Minneboy » October 4th, 2014, 5:30 pm

I'm waiting for the first spray paint terrorist to express his views.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Re: Target Field Station

Postby Minneboy » October 4th, 2014, 5:32 pm

I spent a couple of hours there last night taking photos; see the whole set here; or skip to my favorite which is linked/previewed below:

It's an insanely cool place to take pictures at night; if you're into photography and have an ultra-wide lens it's impossible to have a bad time. Also not bad if you're into watching trains and/or the Twins; was neat to have the broadcast from Fox Sports getting piped onto the big TV.
Mind if I share the link with some Facebook friends? These are too good not to share and gush over. Incredible!
Great pictures and love the colored lighting.

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Target Field Station Development

Postby Nick » October 5th, 2014, 5:47 pm

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 15th, 2014, 9:31 am

http://www.metrocouncil.org/News-Events ... jects.aspx

They want to build an 11 story mixed-use development on this site now that would include hotel, restaurant, offices and retail

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 15th, 2014, 9:42 am

Rendering from that link. (looking WNW from Target Field)

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 15th, 2014, 9:45 am

They're very preliminary drawings. Looks sort of like an Elan project. Will looks much better in a real render

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 15th, 2014, 9:55 am

I think the design compliments Target Field, the new TF LRT plaza, the new Be The Match HQ and Junctions Flats quite well. The colors all work in harmony, yet the building is unique. I look forward to this project moving forward.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 15th, 2014, 10:24 am

unique? :/
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 15th, 2014, 10:49 am

Looks like a generic suburban office park development at this point. Probably will be better when its refined a bit. At least it covers up some of the National Marrow Donor HQ which is even worse. :|

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 15th, 2014, 11:01 am

Yes, I forget how everyone is an armchair architect/designer on here. And how every building must be THE most amazingly perfect building in form, structure, etc. *sighs* Forgive me for liking a building that tips its hat at the surrounding buildings. If it's built well, matches the character and fills in an empty lot - I'm okay with that. And no amount of poo poo-ing by those who don't won't change my POV.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 15th, 2014, 11:41 am

It's fine if you like it but many of us just see what looks like a cartoon drawing.

I think it's too early to judge.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 15th, 2014, 11:49 am

As I originally stated. This is very very rough and all that MET was stating is that someone is developing this parcel in the way I described and that they will have money there for them

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 15th, 2014, 12:07 pm

As I originally stated. This is very very rough and all that MET was stating is that someone is developing this parcel in the way I described and that they will have money there for them
Right, but they know how many floors, they have an idea (down to a precise number) of hotel rooms, and available office Sq. Ft. This may not be the final design, but given the level of detail 'leaked' about this building, I'd guess that it'll be pretty damn close to the rendering.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 15th, 2014, 12:16 pm

The technique in skinning this structure reminds me a lot of 80's hospitals or nursing homes, I understand why you might think it pays respect to the buildings around it, in terms of materials used, but really it is not unique in any way. It also does not architecturally compliment anything in the vicinity other than the mundane shapes of The Natural and Junction Flats. The Ford Building and Be The Match are both large open floor plate buildings with large glassy windows and have fairly uniform material placement around the structure. This is mostly solid, and has random patterns trying to create architecture on a featureless structure. Target Field Station and Target field are both effortlessly modern and visually engaging, which this rendering is not. So Unique to the area in the fact that it looks like a institutional structure from a 30 years ago, sure, and it's cool if you like it, but I don't think it really compliments it's neighbors at all (and I am a degreed designer). The neighbor it most represents is the HERC. All this being said, it's the back side of a preliminary rendering, maybe the street side is beautiful, maybe it will be nothing like this. But this generic rendering is extremely disappointing compared to the previous glassy angular curtain wall rendering that I wasn't even 100% about.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 15th, 2014, 12:19 pm

The one thing I do like, now, looking at it a bit closer/longer is that it looks like it might actually be two towers portions, not an "L" shape.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » October 15th, 2014, 1:41 pm

I hope that these are clip art buildings... such a high visibility intersection... I wish/hope that the buildings have some wow factors...
Last edited by TroyGBiv on October 15th, 2014, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 15th, 2014, 7:04 pm

The one thing I do like, now, looking at it a bit closer/longer is that it looks like it might actually be two towers portions, not an "L" shape.

If it is mixed use I'd say that there is 2 towers. One for the hotel and the other is office space. Not sure what is up with the connecting podium. Scared it is going to be a lifeless parking garage with maybe one retail space. But with the garbage burner entrance on 5th Ave I find it hard to see any retail other than next to the plaza and Caribou.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » October 15th, 2014, 8:12 pm

Are we still talking about the same proposal from a year and a half ago?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 16th, 2014, 10:40 am

Are we still talking about the same proposal from a year and a half ago?
I think it is a similar proposal for the same site. This is a mixed where past have been more hotel or office, but not really a mixed like this proposal.Retail was always a part of the plans, but I'm wondering if it will be a one shop wonder. I really like the uses of this proposal. Not too keen on the podium, but maybe it will actually be better than I think.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 16th, 2014, 10:48 am

It's also hard to know which rendering is the most 'current' or 'accurate' one too. Since this is the one from the Finance & Commerce article earlier in the month:

I guess time will tell.