Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby John » April 28th, 2013, 12:06 am

"lots of glass and light and a very open feel" is a very promising comment. It sounds like the architect listened to the community.
I don't know. Reading between the lines, that sounded to me like they're preparing people for no retractable roof.
Agreed, but even though it may have no retractable roof, it still can be great.
In fact , it's possible it may look better without a retractable roof. Allows for more budget to enhance other design features and amenities.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 28th, 2013, 6:22 pm

In general, I guess I don't really care whether or not there's a retractable roof, except for the fact that a retractable roof may be mandatory if we want an MLS team.

Also, I'm not convinced that an operable window wall on one end of the stadium will be enough to get decent airflow through the stadium on a nice fall day (or a toasty summer day). For that, I'd think you'd need operable windows on two ends to allow air to be pulled through.

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » April 28th, 2013, 7:49 pm

Take this for what it is worth...

Over at skyscrapercity.com someone stated they have heard one large retractable wall with a smaller one opposite of it. They also stated the height of the stadium (from field level to roof) is around 300 to 350 feet. The height of the metrodome is 199 feet.
Last edited by Jfuss on April 29th, 2013, 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » April 28th, 2013, 8:01 pm

wow that would impact the skyline. I just looked and it said 300-350 ft. I just looked and it said 300-350 ft.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 28th, 2013, 8:45 pm

As someone who grew up in the north metro and often drove into downtown via 35W, I've always thought the Metrodome (for better or worse) is the most iconic part of the skyline. The new stadium will also be in a prominent location from the highway, so that is an exciting rumor.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » April 29th, 2013, 6:06 am

yes it has a huge impact on the citsyscape.

the movable wall looking out to the skyline seemed the way they would go from the get-go. i can live with this being the retractactable feature. if this holds true.

can't wait for may 13.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » April 29th, 2013, 7:17 am

Cowboys Stadium is 300 ft. Why would our 65,000-seat stadium need to be as tall as an 80,000-seat one?

Kelm-Helgen claims they STILL haven't finally decided on a retractable roof. She also says the final design won't look like either the "ribbon" or the "transparent roof" concepts, but it'll still be iconic, distinctive and attention-getting. More here:

http://blogs.mprnews.org/stadium-watch/ ... e-theater/

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 29th, 2013, 8:47 am

Cowboys Stadium is 300 ft. Why would our 65,000-seat stadium need to be as tall as an 80,000-seat one?

Kelm-Helgen claims they STILL haven't finally decided on a retractable roof. She also says the final design won't look like either the "ribbon" or the "transparent roof" concepts, but it'll still be iconic, distinctive and attention-getting. More here:

http://blogs.mprnews.org/stadium-watch/ ... e-theater/
I think it's safe to say the final design will be a tremendous improvement over the current Metrodome from both an architectural and user's viewpoint. :D

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 29th, 2013, 8:59 am

Something like this?

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » April 29th, 2013, 9:06 am

I don't know that the height from field to roof means that the structure will stand that tall, it depends how deep they go. It's conceivable that they could go 50 feet further down and the new structure is only 50 feet taller. It would be more imposing, but it still wouldn't be like Miller Park...

Didier: NO! That looks absolutely cartoonish. I'd rather keep the dome.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 29th, 2013, 9:34 am

Maybe it can all be underground, and the outer edge can be lined with five story stick framed buildings cladded in concrete panels.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 29th, 2013, 9:39 am

Based on the rumors — which might be completely erroneous — I'm thinking the overall structure could look something like this, but with the open part being the glass window. If that were the case I'd imagine the interior bowl might be a horseshoe, with no upper deck on the window side.

http://journalmpls.files.wordpress.com/ ... _final.jpg

**EDIT: Is there something we can do about the limit on photos being 750 pixels? I'm not suggesting that the size limit increase, per se, but at the very least it would be helpful if there was some alteration to the code so that we could re-size images without having to download them and resize them in photoshop, etc.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » April 29th, 2013, 10:19 am

Boy.. I'm fine with striking architecture and not going with a copy of LucasOil, just like I'm glad we weren't the 20th team to copy Camden Yards with Target Field. But that looks like some hokey design for an EPCOT building. Maybe it's my personal taste for a larger mix of natural materials (brick/stone/etc) to accent or play off glass, and not entirely one or the other as the dominant facade material (ex. Target Center, Williams Arena). I guess I don't have a say and we technically have some of those (TCF Bank, Target Field, the X) so I shouldn't be too bummed if that was the result.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » April 29th, 2013, 10:58 am

i'm such a building geek i'll probably try to attend this. flashy renderings and videos. this structure is going to change the city in a huge way.

I remember going to the new library design unveiling. was on the top floor of the old federal reserve.

MS3

Postby MS3 » April 29th, 2013, 11:15 am

Thing thing should have a real unique/odd look if its going to be 350' tall.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 29th, 2013, 12:04 pm

Does anyone know if the field is expected to be below ground level?

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » April 29th, 2013, 1:00 pm

Any chance these renderings get leaked? It is hard to keep anything a secret anymore.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » April 29th, 2013, 3:03 pm

Take this for what it is worth...

Over at skyscrapercity.com someone stated they have heard one large retractable wall with a smaller one opposite of it. They also stated the height of the stadium (from field level to roof) is around 300 to 350 feet. The height of the metrodome is 199 feet.
Thanks for editing your post. 500 feet tall would have been huge.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » April 29th, 2013, 5:52 pm

Whatever the design we may be topped by Atlanta and their new stadium.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » April 29th, 2013, 7:07 pm

I saw Lucas Oil in person a few weeks ago and... I didn't hate it anywhere near as much as I thought I would. My primary feeling about it was awe at the enormity of the structure. From the ground it really doesn't have the sad faux historic presence it does in photos, it feels a lot like TCF on steroids, which, to me, standing there, wasn't a bad thing. And it certainly didn't feel like it relegated the pedestrian to some little hell (ala US Cellular). Now, I'm not sure I want a giant barn on our horizon, nor did I walk around the back and sides, but it made me much more confident that whatever design is selected will be at least OK.