Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mullen
Foshay Tower

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby mullen » April 30th, 2013, 4:50 pm

Atlanta stadium design is all over the map.
http://deadspin.com/the-prospective-des ... socialflow

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » April 30th, 2013, 6:43 pm

Holy hell those are awful.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 1st, 2013, 6:56 am

I didn't realize Atlanta "needed" a new stadium too? When is that supposed to be completed? How much do you want to bet that Atlanta gets AT LEAST one Super Bowl before MN gets one?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » May 1st, 2013, 7:22 am

:|

northerncub
Block E

Postby northerncub » May 2nd, 2013, 10:49 am

I just did some more digging on the Falcons Stadium plans and downloaded the 360 Arch presentation.. I have to say.. I think it's brilliant!

The creativity with the jumbotron/ribbon board is awesome. I always found the traditional "lets hang a big screen in the middle" to be boring and limiting to a more attractive roof style. If Atlanta ends up with that first design, it'll be interesting to see how it holds up against the Vikings bid

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » May 2nd, 2013, 11:09 am

all just concepts..they aren't as far along in the process as the vikings are, or are they?

can't believe the georgia dome is only 20 years old.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » May 2nd, 2013, 11:10 am

Anyone know why they need a new stadium? What is wrong with the Georgia Dome? Looks just fine to me.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 2nd, 2013, 12:19 pm

It hasn't been renovated or replaced in nearly 10 years.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 2nd, 2013, 12:21 pm

It hasn't been renovated or replaced in nearly 10 years.
Which is to say, when the Vikings Stadium is finally finished and Zygi sells the thing 3 years later we'll start hearing how we need a new one to compete with the new Falcon's Stadiums of the world. :)

THERAT
Metrodome

Postby THERAT » May 2nd, 2013, 1:13 pm

Washington Redskins want out of FEDEX field - built 1997 - Also Edward Jones in STL - 1995. On the other hand - Arrowhead in KC built 1972 with a renovation in 2010 for 400 - still a great facility although located in a first rung burb and pretty much limited to football.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » May 2nd, 2013, 1:17 pm

Those examples are more of a reminder that stadiums need to be build right than anything else. None of the stadiums being replaced were ever great facilities.

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » May 2nd, 2013, 1:59 pm

Those examples are more of a reminder that stadiums need to be build right than anything else. None of the stadiums being replaced were ever great facilities.
Great point. Notice how 3 of those are domes (StL, metrodome and georgia dome). Domes are generally outdated concepts in comparison to today's new super-stadiums.
Also the fedex field is interesting- if I remember properly Dan Snyder, owner of the redskins, actually owns the stadium (also why the redskins are always one of the most valuable teams). One would think that an owner wouldn't simply want to discard a stadium worth hundreds of millions... unless he can get a new one for free from the NFL and the taxpayers I guess...

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 2nd, 2013, 2:14 pm

How are we so sure that whatever we're building now isn't the next 'fad' that in 20 years people will be calling 'outdated concepts'? In specific, the ATL proposal seemed pretty outlandish (even to the point of Disneyfication with the rumble seats, reminds me of Captain Eo or Star Tours - might as well put water sprayers in each seat to mimic the effect of sweat splattering on your face, just like the real players!!!). I have really high hopes that TCF, Xcel, and Target Field will be able to sustain themselves for, like, 50 years without needing any major modifications, but who the heck knows? John Q is pretty needy, demanding immediate satisfaction, and if a private enterprise like the Vikings sees something another stadium has that can bring in another $50M a year they'll figure a way to paint the new stadium as 'dated' and 'financially un-viable' ...

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » May 2nd, 2013, 3:22 pm

Washington Redskins want out of FEDEX field - built 1997 - Also Edward Jones in STL - 1995. On the other hand - Arrowhead in KC built 1972 with a renovation in 2010 for 400 - still a great facility although located in a first rung burb and pretty much limited to football.
I have attended Twins games at the renovated Kaufmann and you can see the new Arrowhead next door. When looking at both stadiums you really cannot tell they did anything and they are pretty much already outdated.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 2nd, 2013, 3:47 pm

Both KC facilities have aged very gracefully.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » May 2nd, 2013, 6:16 pm

The general public gets 300 free tickets to the unveiling at the Guthrie's Wurtele Thrust Stage. First-come, first-serve.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_231 ... ets-design

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 2nd, 2013, 6:27 pm

I'm gonna go to it.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » May 3rd, 2013, 6:24 am

videos, renderings and models of a billion dollar behemoth transforming downtown east. sounds like my kind of presentation. i'm going to try and be there.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 3rd, 2013, 7:17 am

Whoa....hold on with Ed Jones stadium! That was supposed to be a temporary stadium (if there ever was such a thing) as some kind of deal between the city and its residents. It actually makes sense to tear that one down and rebuild.

I am SHOCKED though that the Red[tails] want out of FEDEX field -- the largest and most expensive stadium (to be at) in the NFL before the Cowboys new stadium!!!

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » May 3rd, 2013, 7:41 am

I have really high hopes that TCF, Xcel, and Target Field will be able to sustain themselves for, like, 50 years without needing any major modifications, but who the heck knows?
I feel like Xcel is starting to show some age. Still a kick ass facility though.