B Line Lake St Rapid Bus, Midtown Rail Transit

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: B Line Lake St Rapid Bus, Midtown Rail Transit

Postby grant1simons2 » June 9th, 2023, 10:04 am

Construction on Lake Street is officially underway. The 4-3 conversion is not going over well on Nextdoor.
443.jpg

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 9th, 2023, 10:27 am

sickos-yes.jpg
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

daveybabymsp
Nicollet Mall

Postby daveybabymsp » June 9th, 2023, 10:29 am

Construction on Lake Street is officially underway. The 4-3 conversion is not going over well on Nextdoor.
It boggles my mind that some people are against 4-3 conversions. The Lyndale one is such an improvement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 9th, 2023, 12:25 pm

In fairness, the 1-lane sections are effectively in place now and they're noticeably more congested, so if you're predisposed to be against change it's easy to jump to the conclusion that the new road is worse.

Of course, the road is under construction so it's surely more congested than it will be when finished.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 9th, 2023, 12:49 pm

Now that Broadway NE has been 4-3'd for a few years, the pain points are just wherever two lanes squeeze down into one. Traffic would flow markedly better if it didn't switch back to two lanes per direction for a block on either side of Central, then again from 35W to Stinson. I'm having trouble finding the finalized striping plan for Lake, hope that doesn't happen too many times.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » June 9th, 2023, 1:28 pm

It boggles my mind that some people are against 4-3 conversions. The Lyndale one is such an improvement

Dedicated turn lanes are good, actually.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » June 11th, 2023, 9:05 am

Nextdoor is a cesspool, nothing should be considered serious on there.

kiliff75
Nicollet Mall

Postby kiliff75 » June 12th, 2023, 9:18 pm

Nextdoor is a cluster, and unfortunately lake street is also a huge mess. Pretty crazy how much gridlock there suddenly is on there during rush hour...

thespeedmccool
Union Depot

Postby thespeedmccool » June 13th, 2023, 7:58 am

Nextdoor is a cluster, and unfortunately lake street is also a huge mess. Pretty crazy how much gridlock there suddenly is on there during rush hour...
If I've learned one thing about transportation in my many years, the traffic will move sooner or later.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » June 13th, 2023, 7:59 am

Have they constructed the bus rapid transit stations yet? I know they built the one over at the midtown light rail station a while ago.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 13th, 2023, 8:42 am

Marshall Ave also has traffic at rush hour, mainly between 5-530pm where there are long backups WB at Cretin. I would never replace the medians & bike lanes for additional car capacity back to the old 4-lane configuration. It will adjust in time; drivers are notoriously bad with change, especially when orange cones are around.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » June 14th, 2023, 7:12 am

Have they constructed the bus rapid transit stations yet? I know they built the one over at the midtown light rail station a while ago.

Major station construction has started on the east of Hiawatha to downtown St Paul

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » October 30th, 2023, 9:54 am

Looks like the start date for the B Line is June 2025, according to the project's FAQ page.

https://www.metrotransit.org/b-line-FAQs

COLSLAW5
Nicollet Mall

Postby COLSLAW5 » October 30th, 2023, 11:43 am

yes we should get the B, E and Gold line all launching in 2025. They had to push the opening due to delays on getting the additional road work completed in the area

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 30th, 2023, 7:14 pm

The road construction (and 4 to 3-1 conversion) is all but complete now east of Hiawatha.

COLSLAW5
Nicollet Mall

Postby COLSLAW5 » October 31st, 2023, 7:44 am

It will be interesting to see how the changes in uptown go next year too with the addition of bus lanes and a short bike lane addition too

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » October 31st, 2023, 8:51 am

yes we should get the B, E and Gold line all launching in 2025. They had to push the opening due to delays on getting the additional road work completed in the area
Gold - March 2025
B - June 2025
E - Dec 2025

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » March 7th, 2024, 11:16 am

For those of you in the Blue Line Extension thread talking about connecting West Lake and Lake Street-Midtown, the latter was already built with a Midtown Rail connection in mind. My source being the Hiawatha Line design blueprints that I found while interning at Metro Transit a few years ago.

From looking at the West Lake Station design and having checked out the construction progress yesterday, it's not being built with a Midtown Rail connection in mind.

I covered this in a Streets.MN article almost exactly three years ago, and I concluded BRT was best (not to stir the pot). I wish the comments on the article were still visible as there was some... lively debate on streetcar vs LRT vs BRT vs trail including comments from someone on the Midtown Greenway Coalition, which strongly favors a single-track streetcar (not sure if they still have that view). https://streets.mn/2021/03/15/rail-vs-b ... -greenway/

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 7th, 2024, 1:04 pm

The only studies I ever saw included a single-track stub terminal sandwiched up against the offramp from southbound Hiawatha to Lake Street, which precludes any sort of expansion or interlining (similar to the problem with the plans produced for West Lake). Long ago, I had produced a map likely linked on this site which took advantage of the existing Blue Line elevated structure to create a flying junction south of 26th St. This would allow Midtown LRT services to use the existing Lake St Blue Line station. Then, build a third pocket track between 32nd and 35th St to allow a Midtown service to switch directions, similar to how the pocket track south of Ft. Snelling Station was used when the Blue Line first opened and it was the terminus.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » March 19th, 2024, 9:28 am

Probably belongs in the fantasy category but wouldn't it work to having Midtown Rail Line enter a tunnel right after Cedar travel under Pioneers & Soldiers Cemetery the Hi Lake Shopping Center have an underground stop below the Blue Line then day light and stop on east side of Minnehaha? You would probably need to close 27th and tear down the building on that corner to make it work but it's currently boarded up according to Google Street View. Trains could reverse out of the station and head back to West Lake Station.

Plus it would set very well for an extension on to East Lake & to Marshall if the demand was ever there. Of course the downside is no interlining.