North Loop Neighborhood

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Re: 729 Washington Av N

Postby Archiapolis » March 24th, 2015, 8:06 am

Just my personal opinion but I can't imagine a lot of families really wanting to live in the North Loop area (even if we added a lot more park area)...I can see why they want to live in the 'burbs (can just let the kiddos out in the back yard, more room to run around, larger homes typically, easier to have friends (with other small kids) over for a cookout/playtime, etc.)

As someone who did raise a family in the country and also a small town, I don't think many families would really look at downtown as a place to live.

Just my 2 cents though...
I would, for my family. The wife is okay with an urban setting but not necessarily high-density (i.e. no yard whatsoever), so we butt heads on that. However, I'm not the only person who would consider such an environment for families. As long as we have access to top-notch PUBLIC schools and there's a place to play with other kids (i.e. playground), those two things make urban living much more desirable in a place like North Loop, whereas other places -- like the Mills District -- seems a bit more exclusive and not geared towards young families (yet). It would also really depend on where our jobs were, among other things.
Nailed it!

My best friend lives in Chicago and owns a "3-flat" with a postage stamp backyard (shared between the 3 flats). However, there is a PUBLIC school 2 blocks away with a great play space.

I think the statement that families should "go live in the suburbs if you want a place for kids to play", is misguided. It's an outdated way of thinking about the city. A family shouldn't want walkability and all of the other amenities that a city offers? I'm not talking about multi-family projects creating individual "backyards"; I'm talking about a shared, public gathering and play space.

Again, if "the city" doesn't want families downtown then one way to insure that they won't have them here is to NOT provide public gathering and play space and the other is to NOT look ahead to providing quality public schools.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 24th, 2015, 10:06 am

Unfortunately, this park proposal isn't family-friendly. At the minimum it needs a set of swings and a climbing/sliding facility. If we're serious about attracting families to the North Loop, playground equipment is a must.
There is a playground by the river.
Yes, but the whole complaint has been that NL isn't family-friendly because that playground is too hard to get to.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 24th, 2015, 10:10 am

Just my personal opinion but I can't imagine a lot of families really wanting to live in the North Loop area (even if we added a lot more park area)...
Having lived there pre-family I can absolutely see the attraction for families to go there. The riverfront is a huge asset. It's a gigantic park that could use some more playground equipment nearer to Hennepin and/or Central. Kids live in very urbanized areas all over the country.

swallman
Metrodome

Postby swallman » March 24th, 2015, 10:11 am

Unfortunately, this park proposal isn't family-friendly. At the minimum it needs a set of swings and a climbing/sliding facility. If we're serious about attracting families to the North Loop, playground equipment is a must.
There is a playground by the river.
Yes, but the whole complaint has been that NL isn't family-friendly because that playground is too hard to get to.
Depending on where you live in the NL that playground could be quite a bit of a hike for many families...

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 24th, 2015, 10:30 am

Just my personal opinion but I can't imagine a lot of families really wanting to live in the North Loop area (even if we added a lot more park area)...
Having lived there pre-family I can absolutely see the attraction for families to go there. The riverfront is a huge asset. It's a gigantic park that could use some more playground equipment nearer to Hennepin and/or Central. Kids live in very urbanized areas all over the country.
*world

twincitizen

Re: North Loop Neighborhood

Postby twincitizen » March 25th, 2015, 10:02 am

From a few pages back:
That's the "Tubs" property that is sandwiched between the recently completed Junction Flats and Metro Transit's "lower lot" of overflow parking for employees. Metro Transit has received a ton of interest in that property, but my assumption is that they can't sell it until the "Heywood 2" bus garage facility is complete. Heywood 2 would be built to the north, here on property the Met Council already owns. This expansion is needed for aBRT service, and any new local service that gets funded in the future. Word is the current garages are basically all at capacity. The current garage will remain in place. As reported yesterday, it looks like the police station, which at one time was slated for Target Field Station, will now be built next to the Heywood office building.

For a little additional context on Metro Transit's lot, see my post in the Junction Flats thread, from almost 2 years ago now :o https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=13& ... ubs#p21608

UPDATE: From the transit news thread, this presentation on the Heywood campus master planning process and potential location of the police station. I'm not sure if the idea is that the buses would drive under/through the new police station, or if that is supposed to be a new driveway going out to 5th St N, on the site of the tubs facility (701 5th) discussed above. There's a steep grade change there between the existing Metro Transit bus driveway and the Tubs property, so I'm not sure that a new access point is even feasible there.
This link was shared in the Downtown General thread, but I thought it more relevant here since we had specifically been discussing Metro Transit's "lower lot" property. Met Council just completed a study of all properties that they own that would be feasible for TOD. This property obviously scored pretty high on that list, and made the cut into the "Top 8", which I guess they will study more. I'll skim the print edition of F&C over lunch and see if I can get a bit more detail

http://finance-commerce.com/2015/03/tra ... -to-eight/ (locked)

The photo caption suggests this property could be marketed and sold off "in the next year or so."

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 22nd, 2015, 6:38 am

Here's a property that was mentioned a few years ago for redevelopment, but nothing ever moved forward. Now they're seeking cleanup grants:

North Loop Commons (620 Olson Memorial Highway)
Projected DEED Request: $100,000
Projected Metropolitan Council TBRA Request: $300,000
Projected Hennepin County ERF Request: $81,231
The developer, NHH 620 Olson Memorial LLC, plans to renovate an existing 80,000
square foot vacant building (vacant since 2006) for creative office, charter school
and retail space. The projected total development cost is $13,500,000. Grant funds,
if awarded, will be used primarily for the abatement of asbestos and lead based
paint in the existing building.

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » April 22nd, 2015, 8:22 am

I hope they save the hottea installation on the fenced garage door. :D https://goo.gl/maps/gpbcg
Here's a property that was mentioned a few years ago for redevelopment, but nothing ever moved forward. Now they're seeking cleanup grants:

North Loop Commons (620 Olson Memorial Highway)
Projected DEED Request: $100,000
Projected Metropolitan Council TBRA Request: $300,000
Projected Hennepin County ERF Request: $81,231
The developer, NHH 620 Olson Memorial LLC, plans to renovate an existing 80,000
square foot vacant building (vacant since 2006) for creative office, charter school
and retail space. The projected total development cost is $13,500,000. Grant funds,
if awarded, will be used primarily for the abatement of asbestos and lead based
paint in the existing building.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 22nd, 2015, 8:30 am

Huh. Now we just need to connect these areas. More and more reasons to remove the viaducts and re-connect the old grid

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » April 22nd, 2015, 9:08 am

Nice. I actually kind of like that building for some reason. Glad to see it getting some love. A school should be a good addition here.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 23rd, 2015, 12:45 pm

http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/su ... north-loop

Supportive housing coming into North Loop at 813 N. 5th St.. 2,000 sq ft of retail and 72 units for mostly men

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 25th, 2015, 10:12 pm

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.987304, ... e0!6m1!1e1

Would be such a cool retail conversion next to 2 new future mixed use projects!

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » April 27th, 2015, 2:42 pm

Locked: http://finance-commerce.com/2015/04/can ... w-parking/

Can the North Loop Develop without New Parking? For builders in city’s hottest neighborhood, parking is ‘a problem’

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 27th, 2015, 3:08 pm

If they do, I hope that they work in some sort of district parking that will incorporate some retail or service at street level.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 28th, 2015, 2:10 pm

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 141975.pdf

6 story apartment proposed for ABC Site... It's another groaner by ESG. Developed by Opus and Greco. Again.

But here's the run down:

- 143 Units
- 7 walk ups
- 2-3 new commercial spaces with 16,776 sq ft
- Applicant suggests one tenant should be a cross fit gym and the other tenant be a restaurant with outdoor seating

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 28th, 2015, 2:27 pm

Any BS alarms ringing?
The project distinguishes itself from other Minneapolis 6-story
apartment buildings in at least three areas. 1) The design aesthetic
relates to the warehouse district in scale and proportion, with
beautiful large windows and a single material, yet has a modern
pop, with its proposed white brick and black divided lite windows.
2) This development will meet a need in the North Loop by offering
a greater percentage of studios and alcoves than is typical. 3)
A potential large gym facility, such as cross fit will bring a unique
vibrancy to the area.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 28th, 2015, 2:36 pm

I don't know, I'd say that all of that appears to be true. I certainly find it less objectionable than just about any of the other recent 6 story projects.

aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Postby aeisenberg » May 28th, 2015, 2:44 pm

I agree with MNDible. Retail, density, and while the design won't turn heads, it doesn't seem to have an garish or tacky elements. I like it.
Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / [email protected] / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 28th, 2015, 2:47 pm

I don't object to many 6 -story projects, and I think this is a good project. Just sad that they have to BS their way through justifying it to the critics.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 28th, 2015, 3:02 pm

I'd like it a lot better if it were rotated 180, so that the amenity deck faced the alley. Wouldn't have the views, though.