North Loop Neighborhood

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Zmike
Block E

Re: North Loop Neighborhood

Postby Zmike » February 12th, 2016, 4:09 pm

I'm curious about how the new 400ft height restriction interacts with the 467ft proposal for 200 Central.
I don't know.. I'm assuming that proposal will be cut down like LPM was. Originally, LPM was 38 floors and 404' but Magdalin had to chop 2 floors off to meet the new height restrictions in MPLS. This has also been the case for other proposals like the Nicollet hotel. It's down to 30 stories now. Wells Fargo was a different situation, but they went with two 300' towers verses one taller one because 400' wasn't tall enough to meet their demands.
If you dig hard enough and do enough research the 400 foot height restriction is true, I believe since 2010 however there was a lot of dead ends that I came up with while doing the research.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 12th, 2016, 6:10 pm

I'm curious about how the new 400ft height restriction interacts with the 467ft proposal for 200 Central.
I don't know.. I'm assuming that proposal will be cut down like LPM was. Originally, LPM was 38 floors and 404' but Magdalin had to chop 2 floors off to meet the new height restrictions in MPLS. This has also been the case for other proposals like the Nicollet hotel. It's down to 30 stories now. Wells Fargo was a different situation, but they went with two 300' towers verses one taller one because 400' wasn't tall enough to meet their demands.
If you dig hard enough and do enough research the 400 foot height restriction is true, I believe since 2010 however there was a lot of dead ends that I came up with while doing the research.
You must be a reporter!
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 12th, 2016, 6:17 pm

Someone please tell me this isn't true...

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 12th, 2016, 6:22 pm

E mail Bender and Frey and see what their office has to say about it.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 13th, 2016, 2:04 pm

Please don't.

Zmike
Block E

Postby Zmike » February 13th, 2016, 6:52 pm

Well according to my wife and daughter I'm wrong 90% of the time, so maybe I'm wrong about this. Perhaps someone else on here can do some deep research as well? What I found was a lot of incomplete answers and contradictions from variance procedures to zoning ordinances regulations. It is a fact however that the developer for LPM wanted to build a Tower over the "apparent" 400 foot height restriction limit now in affect in Minnespolis and the city would not allow it to be over 400 feet. It was reduced from 38 stories to 36 keeping it at 376 feet I believe. I don't know all the details on the two Wells Fargo towers being 300 feet each but I do know there was talk of one tower briefly a few years ago. I don't have the information as to how tall or the story count of what that original tower was going to be proposed at.. But two 300' towers were built instead. Duvals proposal was shot down immediately once it landed on someone's desk. This project was shot down for other reasons as well though not related to just height. Evidence of recent past development and future proposals is clearly pointing in favor of a 400 foot max height limit now in Minneapolis.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 13th, 2016, 7:10 pm

Deep research of the municipal code shows nothing. Minnesota building code shows nothing. If you want to talk about this conspiracy of yours further, I'd suggest going here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3994

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » March 8th, 2016, 4:25 pm

Schafer-Richardson plans office building to start North Loop redevelopment project
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... lding.html
*LOCKED*

Minneapolis developer Schafer-Richardson expects to unveil plans in April to build an office building on a 3.5-acre site near Target Field.

The North Loop Minneapolis site is home to commercial heating and cooling equipment manufacturer Weather-Rite. Weather-Rite's lease expires in two years, but the developer is starting to plan for "a larger office building," Schafer-Richardson Director of Development Maureen Michalski said.

Additional details: won't build without tenants, and two additional future phases are being planned.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 8th, 2016, 4:32 pm

This better include building out a flippin' street network. No moar North loop super blocks please.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » March 8th, 2016, 10:16 pm

8th is supposed to connect through there eventually, no? I'm guessing there will be a bit of a fight to get that done (we've already discussed elsewhere the property line issues on the north side of the viaduct).
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 9th, 2016, 7:48 am

Sorry but I'm not a good one to find those property maps, but did the company just use the land that was once 8th, or did the city actually sell that land to the company. If the city still owns the 8th ROW then re connecting will be a much easier chore. Verses having to ED the ROW to reestablish the street. I would think for fire and public safety the city would want to break up that super block. JMO

I would also think that the area where the Creek flows thru that they would have the same issue building over the creek that the 729 project was having. The creek would make a nature break in the project, woofner, and they could use that as a phase markers. 2 phases east and one west or vice vers as to how big they go with their phases. I'm curious as to height of these phases.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 9th, 2016, 7:57 am

The city does not own any of it, but it appears there are some narrow lots that would make great ROW for slightly misaligned 7th & 8th Streets.

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 9th, 2016, 12:58 pm

I'd be glad if they did the 8th as a street there even if it is not aligned. The 7th for me does not need to be a street, but a nice woofner there would be a great break in between buildings and allow for some outdoor seating area and pedestrian walkway thru that section so there would be less length to have to walk even if they did eighth. That would still be a very long walk. At least close to 3 reg blocks. But I agree that need to be broken up in at least 2 spots. That is a huge distance between 6th and 10th, as I've walked it a few times.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 9th, 2016, 8:19 pm

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 11th, 2016, 8:25 am

I finally found a complete article on the Schafer Richardson office redevelopment project(s):

http://northloop.org/schafer-richardson ... t-project/

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 18th, 2016, 8:34 am

Drawing of the Schafer Richardson office proposal.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/p ... polis.html

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 18th, 2016, 8:42 am

F*** yes! Is my first reaction. I love the post modern factory roof motif, I love the graphic nature of the exterior cladding, the scale, all of it.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » March 18th, 2016, 8:51 am

It reminds me of the 21st century bank building with the parking underneath filled in. White, vertical Windows, jacked up on stilts.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 18th, 2016, 8:55 am

The street presence is gorgeous, and it looks like it intends to turn the corner nicely, which to me, signals good things about the possibility of a street connection.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 18th, 2016, 1:06 pm

Underground parking

Retail/restaurant space

Urbanworks are the architects