My hometown: Columbus. Part 2: South Side.

Minneapolisite

My hometown: Columbus. Part 2: South Side.

Postby Minneapolisite » February 10th, 2013, 9:44 pm

This is a tour of the declining, working-class urban neighborhoods on the southern end of the urban core: Hungarian Village (the healthiest of the bunch without a doubt), Steelton/Reeb-Hosack (the former has a better ring to it), Vassor Village, and Staumbaugh-Elwood, which 99% of Columbus residents have never even passed through let alone hard of it.

Hungarian Village

The last of the "Villages" to the south is Hungarian Village just south of Merion Village.

MAP

Furthest south is Reeb-Hosack.

MAP

First up is Hungarian Village which is basically a couple stretches of nice, well-kept homes. Nothing spectacular. There is, however, a Hungarian church here which is quite unique and really stands out. As is usual with the south side, the commercial corridors are have becom car-oriented: victims of urban renewal, suburbanization/car culture, and neglect in varying degrees.

Now for the church.

Couple shots of Parsons.

Steelton/Reeb-Hosack

Steelton is one of those neighborhoods that makes you ask if you're in Columbus, the 15th largest city in the country. It feels and looks like a place that is 100 miles from German Village: not a mere one mile. Homes are mostly wood framed and the neighborhood was built on industry to the south which has been evaporating and the effects can be seen. Grafitti tags are visible:a sign of ongoing decline. But the neighborhood is distinct and has its own character and you know when you've crossed over. The Dispatch even did a story on the neighborhood and there's a short video included (use IE).

Looks like there's at least some new builds in the area.

Kitchen now open!

Gets a little smelly down south.

Cute, and they bike.

They even have a crosswalk here so that neighbors across the street can stumble back with the right of way. My street has one of the best vegan restaurants in the country and also has a bar across the street. No crosswalk. I find this city confusing.

Spoke with the nice lady who takes care of these cats by buying them food and a place with a view.

Native American Indian Center of Central Ohio? Wha!? Always bound to be surprised when you venture out of the main neighborhoods.

So that is what's due south of German Village. If nothing else, it was interesting!

Vassor Village

Vassor Village is another lesser-known south side neighborhood even among residents of Columbus. The state of the homes varies quite a bit with some that are tidy, others not, and a boarded up home here and there. Crime and absentee landlords are problems that some residents are trying to minimize. The neighborhood is comprised of two halves with the west being residential and the east industrial with train tracks snaking through.

This is where a best friend now resides after needing a place fast since his last apartment burned down and he has a food pantry and a new divey gay bar for the closest walking distance amenities. If he walks east to Lockbourne Rd he can hit up some after-hours clubs where people get shot and stabbed (Club Twitter: seriously that's the name if it's still open) or west where he gave me a ring last night from the only place on Parsons Ave that is within walking distance and worth going to: Hal & Al's. He's gonna try the 30 day challenge (30 beers in 30 days) and had a deep-fried brat, which made me jealous since I was hungry. It's delicious and it's even from a 100%vegan kitchen: just like their fried avocados and cilantro sauce which I had plenty of whenever I'd head down there. They have plenty of beers I wish I saw more readily available over here. Anyhoo:

MAP

Right off the bat a woman asks why I'm taking pictures and I tell her it's for a neighborhood guide. She says that if I know anyone that can redo her siding that she could use it. That and her fence needs a new coat of paint. Sorry, I'm just taking pictures!

Now for the industrial part. Techneglas was a major employer that closed down and is poised to open a complex that will offer 800 jobs.

I guess they're who you're supposed to call when you want that window seat that everyone else seems to get before you can.

Sweet Pot? It's Jamaican? I got some brown stew chicken and a beef patty. The patty was OK, but that stew was good. Who knew there was a reason to head out to Frebis and Champion of all places? They must be doing well to still be open at such an atrocious location. *Update: it's gone. Now about the only reason to go here is the Condo Villa gay bar. Columbus just doesn't help neighborhoods when it should, as though one or two worthy places can keep these areas afloat. So dumb.

It looks like these arbitrary white lines are supposed to substitute an actual road diet. Not sure why they bother since this residential street is posted and designed as 35MPH anyway. On the left hand side (west) is Edgewood (Thurman, Champion, Marion & Lockbourne), which I've yet to cover. From what I've seen, not the best neighborhood and it's virtually unknown. The houses are smaller here too.

Industrial waste?

Ha! Don't have to tell some Urban Mspers twice. Zing!

Back to the residential part. These are the Lincoln Park projects. They go way back as you can see and there is row after row. I was surprised at how massive they are and, no surprise, there have been lots of problems here. I think the city wants these to be sold to a private developer like Sawyer Towers in the Near East side.

There is a park named Lincoln Park in this neighborhood. Now how the hell did I forget to take a picture of it?

Some kids playing outside these plentiful projects. One of them ran up to me and said "You're taking pictures!". I forgot what I said, but maybe he meant it as a question. Hope they turn out OK.

The greenest house in Columbus.

Vassor Village or German Village?

I don't think I could live in a pink house, but that's just me.

Stambaugh-Elwood

Isolated from the rest of the South Side by SR 104, railroad tracks, and industrial sites is this miniature neighborhood named after the two lone roads that branch off of Groveport Rd. It's obvious there was more from the several empty grass lots dotting the neighborhood. Just more proof that Columbus holds some of the most bizarre, isolated urban neighborhoods anywhere. And I didn't even get to Cambria Addition just south of here.

MAP

Just a reminder that yes, this is Columbus, one of the largest cities in the country.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: My hometown: Columbus. Part 2: South Side.

Postby Nathan » February 14th, 2013, 2:17 pm

Awe, I like this area... it's a shame what Vinyl siding can do to the feel of an area...