Hampton Inn & Suites - (19 8th Street North)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mullen
Foshay Tower

Re: Mortenson Hotel - (19 8th Street North)

Postby mullen » April 25th, 2013, 11:15 am

which is too bad considering like 170 million was spent renovating hyatt regency chicago. it's a bigger hotel but still. hyatt here was like 20 million or something.

a developer with a pile of money should just re-clad all of city center in glass like the hotel.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » April 25th, 2013, 11:18 am

Is there any chance that Hyatt will get re-cladded ... or ... painted a different color or anything? It really is an eyesore.

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » April 25th, 2013, 11:27 am

"cheapskates of the year award" - I agree!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 25th, 2013, 12:37 pm

Mortenson should just combine this hotel project with the now-dead The Venue proposal. 15-18 stories, no new parking needed because it's skyway'd to the "A" Ramp.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 25th, 2013, 1:02 pm

^yes

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 25th, 2013, 1:39 pm

Mortenson should just combine this hotel project with the now-dead The Venue proposal. 15-18 stories, no new parking needed because it's skyway'd to the "A" Ramp.
Great idea. And I share the concern this does not look like some cheap hotel on an Interstate exit.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » April 25th, 2013, 1:50 pm

I am betting it will be a Hampton Inn, or very similar brand(just an educated guess)...and will look similar to the Hilton Garden Inn on 11th.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 25th, 2013, 2:11 pm

Hampton Inn is doing more hotels that fit within an urban context. Examples from Miami and one from Brooklyn. Not masterpieces, but they look pretty good.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 25th, 2013, 2:16 pm

Even though these will likely be in different market segments, I'm surprised private investors are developing new hotel rooms in the CBD before knowing if government will be subsidizing competing development of 1,000 rooms a few blocks east.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 25th, 2013, 2:17 pm

With all of the historic building next to or near by I think that they will want to have a design that stands out to get peoples attention. They have a lot of choices downtown even in limited service hotels.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 25th, 2013, 2:19 pm

What does that tell you about the relationship between the private hotel market and this convention hotel?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 25th, 2013, 2:22 pm

Even though these will likely be in different market segments, I'm surprised private investors are developing new hotel rooms in the CBD before knowing if government will be subsidizing competing development of 1,000 rooms a few blocks east.
IF you are going to a wolves game or a Twins game are you really going to walk all the way over there from the convention center. This project is kind of in a different niche would think it will be the convention center hotel that has to worry more about too many empty rooms and that they are blocks away from 1st Ave and Hennepin aves bars, restraunts, and entertainment venues.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 25th, 2013, 2:46 pm

You underestimate this city's future. Downtown Minneapolis is growing fast, if not really in the midst of a spectacular boom with residential, office, and retail projects, not to mention the Vikings Stadium, renovated Orchestra Hall, the soon to be running Green Line, and the SW corridor line in a few years. The airport is going to get a 4 billion dollar upgrade which will increase travelers coming to our city. We are wisely planning and investing to create more green space in our already magnificent downtown situated along the Mississippi River. We live in a city with arguably one of the most well developed urban park systems in the world. And the list goes on and on and on. I think it's safe to say this is a very desireable community to invest in! And yes, a beautifully designed convention hotel will add another great amenity to our city.
Last edited by John on April 25th, 2013, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » April 25th, 2013, 2:55 pm

With all of the historic building next to or near by I think that they will want to have a design that stands out to get peoples attention. They have a lot of choices downtown even in limited service hotels.
People really don't care about what the outside of a hotel looks like...they book before they arrive(for the most part)...most guests couldn't even tell you what the outside of the building looks like. Is it nice to have an attractive building on the outside? Yes...but as long as it doesn't look like it is falling down, it really doesn't matter as far as being competitve goes. It is the inside that is important, but actually service is paramount. You would be surprised how some of the dumpiest properties in a brand can be top performers. That is what 11 years working in hotels tells me. Outside of the building is hardly even on the list, hence, most have generic architecture.

PS, downtown Minneapolis actually kind of lags in limited service options in the core. No Hampton, Four points, Homewood Suites, Spring Hill Suites, Courtyard( hotel at 7 corners is becoming one of these), Fairfield, or any of the Clarion brands.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » April 25th, 2013, 3:52 pm

They're betting the Convention Hotel is a pipedream, and they're probably right.
What does that tell you about the relationship between the private hotel market and this convention hotel?
Nothing.
You underestimate this city's future. [...] I think it's safe to say this is a very desireable community to invest in! And yes, a beautifully designed convention hotel will add another great amenity to our city.
I love this city as much as the next booster, but If investors agreed it was warranted, they'd build a convention hotel without subsidy. But here's the frustrating thing about this -- they conducted a market study to see if a giant hotel was viable, the answer came back NO, but they didn't say, "A convention hotel is not viable right now," they said, "I guess we need to pay half the cost via subsidy."

Finance & Commerce reported today that a half dozen local hotel projects are in the pipeline. The market is responding to demand with more supply. But if you don't think 1,000 downtown rooms isn't going to put those projects in jeopardy, I have a stadium to sell you.

Even if this Convention Center Hotel attracts five giant conventions all on its own every single year (AND a All-Star game here and there) that still leaves 47 weeks a year it will be flooding the market with available rooms.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » April 25th, 2013, 6:39 pm

People really don't care about what the outside of a hotel looks like...they book before they arrive(for the most part)...most guests couldn't even tell you what the outside of the building looks like. Is it nice to have an attractive building on the outside? Yes...but as long as it doesn't look like it is falling down, it really doesn't matter as far as being competitve goes.
Well, people may or may not care about what a hotel looks like as far ass affecting their booking choices - location and amenities like room quality/size, pool, internet, breakfast, etc all play in. Although I would say that if you're talking about a high-end hotel, people surely do. There's a reason people really fawn over hotels like the Plaza in NYC, (among many others). But, to a greater extent, we should all care more about what ALL our buildings look like in cities. How they address the street, how interesting they are, do they fit a local architectural vernacular, etc etc - you know, many of the things we talk about here all the time and make great cities great when taking a step back from each individual building. From that perspective, I like the proposed Hampton Inns - good to see decent lot coverage and street fronting for a hotel, especially a low-cost one.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » April 25th, 2013, 10:49 pm

I didn't say I didn't care what it looks like...I was responding to the comment guessing that the hotel will want to "stand out" with their design. My guess is, they will not put a ton of effort into the design, but who knows.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 26th, 2013, 8:17 am

Nothing.
That's too bad....to me it seems as though the markets operate somewhat independently, even if they can impact one another. There is no way that there are 3 or 4 hotel proposals in the works right now if a.) they are concerned that a 1,000+ room hotel will be built in the near future, or b.) that a super-sized convention hotel is direct competition to their business. It makes ME think that perhaps it's a different enough niche that they don't have to worry about it.
You underestimate this city's future. [...] I think it's safe to say this is a very desireable community to invest in! And yes, a beautifully designed convention hotel will add another great amenity to our city.
But here's the frustrating thing about this -- they conducted a market study to see if a giant hotel was viable, the answer came back NO, but they didn't say, "A convention hotel is not viable right now," they said, "I guess we need to pay half the cost via subsidy."

I thought the study was still 2-3 weeks away from being finalized....

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » April 26th, 2013, 9:28 am

That's too bad....to me it seems as though the markets operate somewhat independently, even if they can impact one another. There is no way that there are 3 or 4 hotel proposals in the works right now if a.) they are concerned that a 1,000+ room hotel will be built in the near future, or b.) that a super-sized convention hotel is direct competition to their business. It makes ME think that perhaps it's a different enough niche that they don't have to worry about it.
It's hard to follow this. If they impact one another, then it's something for them to worry about. Whether it's a different niche or not, it's the same market. If someone on Orbitz is looking for downtown hotel rooms and everything is $150+, but the brand new Convention Hotel is charging $79 because they have 600 empty rooms most nights, doesn't that pull everyones rates down? Whether hotel developers think the 1000+ rooms will get built or think it will impact their business enough to tank their project, it's a factor, a risk on their radar. To say that, "There is no way that there are 3 or 4 hotel proposals in the works right now if..." is a bit absolutist and doesn't jive with your first comment of "operating somewhat independently even if they can impact one another."

(...damn this is tedious...I should get to work...)
I thought the study was still 2-3 weeks away from being finalized....
Could be. I guess if they come back in 2-3 weeks and announce the project is not viable (or is viable without massive subsidy), then, I spoke to soon.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » April 26th, 2013, 9:50 am

A little story today on bizjournal about the skyway that stretches across the property connecting Pence to the A/Hawthorn ramps. Looks like the city has to pay for the removal and replacement of the skyway with an estimated cost of a million dollars. I walk that skyway connection everyday, and I like it a lot, but a million dollars?

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/p ... hotel.html