Henn. Co. Pedestrian Plan

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
gpete
Union Depot

Henn. Co. Pedestrian Plan

Postby gpete » June 3rd, 2013, 9:32 am

Hennepin County is accepting comments on their brand new pedestrian policy (the first one its every had).
http://www.hennepin.us/pedestrianplan

If you have strong feelings about pedestrian access on Hennepin County roads (Lyndale Ave, Lake St, Franklin Ave, Washington Ave, Park Ave, Portland Ave, Broadway Ave, etc etc), you should make your voice heard.

I've noticed several new-ish County projects where new traffic signals have been installed that only grant a WALK signal if a button is pressed. I think that's a pretty bad anti-pedestrian policy for intersections within Minneapolis. If anyone else has been bothered by that, I'd appreciate you lending your support.

gpete
Union Depot

Re: Henn. Co. Pedestrian Plan

Postby gpete » July 15th, 2013, 7:12 am

I'm going to give this a bump because the plan's comment period closes today at 5pm, and I'd like to promote Alex's great write up: http://gettingaroundmpls.wordpress.com/ ... hway-dept/

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 15th, 2013, 8:04 am

Estimated cost per curb extension: 60 staff hours and $25,000 construction cost
Estimated cost per pedestrian refuge median: 60 staff hours and $15,000 construction cost

:o

Privatize curb extensions? Corporate sponsored refuge medians? My god we are screwed if that's what it costs the taxpayers for County staff to design and pour a few cubic feet of concrete.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » July 15th, 2013, 8:22 am

I'm not saying those costs aren't ridiculous (they are), but I firmly believe that a place built for pedestrians first with land-use regs/laws in place that maximize build-out of spaces would be able to support that level of investment in public facilities. Compare that to the $15-20,000 for a single decked parking space, and most people don't shed a single tear over that cost when the public builds a ramp.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 15th, 2013, 8:24 am

No wonder nothing ever gets done. Wow.