Public Schools

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Public Schools

Postby Tcmetro » September 26th, 2013, 6:24 pm

There was a program in Minneapolis a while ago (I believe it's now ended) but it essentially allowed (and bused) Minneapolis students to enroll in select north, south, and west metro districts. It was created because of a lawsuit over the quality of Minneapolis schools, however, recent studies showed little to no improvement in the test scores of children who enrolled.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 26th, 2013, 10:31 pm

Also, no one knows how to write worth a damn. Nicolette [sic]. And those who maybe sort of do tend to be the people who think that jumbling a bunch of buzz/big words together incoherently makes them look smart.
Nick, that's been going on at least since I was in college and probably a lot longer than that. :)

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 26th, 2013, 10:34 pm

Also, in case you didn't know, Minneapolis actually has 4 syllables (this has been proven through empirical research).
And it's actually spelled "Minnehapolis." (really!)

I'm just glad we don't call it Minneanapolis like some in Atlanta do.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » September 27th, 2013, 8:51 am

There was a program in Minneapolis a while ago (I believe it's now ended) but it essentially allowed (and bused) Minneapolis students to enroll in select north, south, and west metro districts. It was created because of a lawsuit over the quality of Minneapolis schools, however, recent studies showed little to no improvement in the test scores of children who enrolled.
That's the "The Choice is Yours" program: https://schoolrequest.mpls.k12.mn.us/th ... ogram.html

It's state funded, and has been subject to cuts. Here's an article from last year about Hmong students rallying the legislature and Governor Dayton to save it: http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/news/2012/ ... -bus-rides

While I don't mind individual parents making the choice to open enroll their students in another district, I'm not so enthused with an entire community disengaging with the schools in their area. At least it's state money paying for the transportation, not MPS money (MPS does lose the per-student money for these students, but that doesn't bother me as much).

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 23rd, 2013, 11:50 pm

A very upbeat story about Minneapolis Public Schools enrollment gains, building re-openings and upgrades in the Longfellow community: http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 29721.html

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » April 10th, 2015, 6:32 pm

So, My wife and I found out that we are going to have reason to care very much about St Paul Public Schools, in about four years :D.

I am trying to catch up to speed on school issues in this district, and there seems to be a million points of view:
Supernintendo Silva is a fearless reformer who is dragging SPPS into this century, or a clueless idiot overseeing their circling of the drain.
- We went from bussing kids all over the city to establishing neighborhood schools, which is strengthening neighborhoods, or destroying diversity, or making the school system more legible, or fueling chaos.
- We gave the kids iPads, which is introducing technology to kids who sorely need it, or giving kids carte blanche to goof around all day.
-etc.

As an outsider trying to get acquainted with the issues, and mulling whether to go the public school route, it is a little intimidating.

I live a few blocks from Galtier Elementary. My wife has spent some time volunteering there, and she says the school is quite chaotic. (But maybe most elementary schools are?)

Can anyone plugged into the SPPS world give me some perspective here?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 10th, 2015, 7:17 pm

I can't speak to the St. Paul school district specifically, but my partner works in the Minneapolis public schools and I know a number of others who do as well.

Ultimately, what you're going to find is that both sides are right, to an extent. One of the fundamental problems with urban schools right now is that almost anything which would make these systems more attractive for wealthier families are (at best) going to provide little benefit for disadvantaged populations, and will in some cases be actually harmful. The busing issue is a good example of this; neighborhood schools are great for neighborhoods that are already strong, but they can also reinforce economic and racial segregation. Think of the push to make a "downtown Minneapolis" elementary school; while it certainly benefits parents in the North Loop who don't want to send their kids to Bethune, it only perpetuates the problems that Bethune, as a school in the center of a racially concentrated area of poverty, faces.

Ultimately, of course, every parent has to make the decision that is best for their child. But that's the chicken-and-egg; studies have shown again and again that racially and economically homogeneous schools are far worse for children than diverse ones, yet they'll never attain that kind of diversity unless they become good enough that parents with options will be willing to send their children there.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » April 11th, 2015, 3:08 pm

We send our daughter to LNFI in SPPS and I can say the school district is largely what you make it - choose the school that matches your needs, get to know the teachers, become engaged (but not TOO engaged), and your kid's experience will be great. Randomly accept the local school uncritically, and you'll likely be unhappy. But SPPS is a very good school district for engaged families who pick their school appropriately.