Northside - News & General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Northside - News & General Topics

Postby seanrichardryan » June 14th, 2022, 9:20 am

That open air parking podium is very Miami/ sunbelt.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 14th, 2022, 9:25 am

(Looks like the 201 Broadway/ Master building being in the axo render was a glitch.)

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 14th, 2022, 9:31 am

It does have the initial look of “here’s a trendy style that absolutely will not be even close to this when actually built.”

I wonder if this is North Loop trendiness leap frogging out to Broadway, or just a developer drawn to highway access yet close access to North East? Why not both?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 14th, 2022, 9:33 am

Vaporware project.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » June 14th, 2022, 9:50 am

Will be curious to see if this gets any bites. Looks like it could fit in on Glenwood. Better an office than light industrial imo. Mixed use even better but that's a pretty gnarly, truck-heavy intersection to overlook with housing.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » June 14th, 2022, 3:17 pm

It is my understanding that the city would like to have all of the industrial gone between the Port of Minneapolis and the North Loop. Keep in mind that only 2 blocks away the old Broadway Pizza space is already being developed and Coloplast is close as well as DC group that remodeled their building just before the pandemic. My point is that there is already investment in this area, so I don't think this is as far fetched as some might think.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 14th, 2022, 3:40 pm

I'm not suggesting that this site wouldn't work for an office development project, just that the building that's presented in these renderings is an absolute cartoon. Maybe put together by some intern who was good in SketchUp but doesn't really understand how buildings go together.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » June 15th, 2022, 8:52 am

I would agree with that!

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 30th, 2022, 2:11 pm

Northern Metal Recycling’s river front land will remain industrial.

https://www.startribune.com/minneapolis ... 600202373/

What a lost opportunity.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 30th, 2022, 2:39 pm

Major bummer. Do you suppose it was out of spite from Northern Metal? One last F-U to the city?

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » August 31st, 2022, 8:16 am

Major bummer. Do you suppose it was out of spite from Northern Metal? One last F-U to the city?
Sounds like it's another trend of Investor's buying real estate. We'll probably see more of this around the cities I am sure to our chagrin. I guess if we don't like it stop buying online. Now home owned by investors are near industrial property owned by investors instead of something which would more greatly benefit those living in North.

"Earlier this year, Zenith and J.P. Morgan announced a $700 million joint venture to acquire industrial sites for outdoor storage in growing cities across America.

"The pandemic basically had everyone at home for an extended period of time, and online purchases went through the roof, and so that increased everyone's need for warehousing goods," said Chris Hickok, a Minneapolis managing director at commercial real estate agency JLL, on the increasing demand for industrial space. "If you look at Minneapolis, there are very, very few raw land sites left. … The amount that groups are paying now for sites that have a decent amount of outdoor storage has really increased over the last couple of years.""

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » August 31st, 2022, 8:20 am

Also someone in the Strib Comments mentioned that it's probably a speculative purchase for resale later. The income from the storage would pay for interest and then they sell later. Given that the organization says they are looking for growing cities that might be all they are. They buy up industrial space, rent it out for storage and then sell.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 31st, 2022, 8:43 am

Yeah, I read the article and I understand that they were offered good money for it. It just seems like a seller with a less confrontational history with the city, and with an understanding of the importance of this site for an improved North Minneapolis riverfront, would have offered the Park Board a chance to match the offer.

Which maybe they did? But I'm pretty sure they didn't.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » October 6th, 2022, 12:06 pm

Sounds like 187 Humboldt will break ground next week

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 6th, 2022, 2:55 pm

Oh... is that why the police are clearing unhoused folks? https://twitter.com/rerahrich/status/15 ... 7507781632

drgrant
Block E

Postby drgrant » October 25th, 2022, 10:11 am

I'm not suggesting that this site wouldn't work for an office development project, just that the building that's presented in these renderings is an absolute cartoon. Maybe put together by some intern who was good in SketchUp but doesn't really understand how buildings go together.
Full sized trees sprouting out of <12" floor plates are a dead giveaway for 2nd semester arch. student projects.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » October 25th, 2022, 11:27 am

Oh... is that why the police are clearing unhoused folks? https://twitter.com/rerahrich/status/15 ... 7507781632
It has nothing to do with it. Weeks before I biked past both the Rise Modular Development and the homeless camp all within a block or so of each other. Also the camp isn't that close to Humboldt. The camp was on Fremont. They also tore down the building across from La Dona and are using it for portapotty storage so I don't think they're going out of their way to make the area desirable to new residents. There is also a shady funeral home across the street.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » December 2nd, 2022, 9:26 am

Per North News this is moving forward. The Olympic Pool used for the Olympic Trials in Omaha will be installed in the Northside in July. The Center it appears will have an additional pool and a running and biking track. (The pictures show people biking inside the building.) There may also be some climbing walls and other equipment. Erika Binger is leading this I believe. (3M/McKnight Foundation)

It will be interesting to see the packets for this.

If it is built in it's entirety I feel like it would be one of the largest indoor sports complexes in the cities. Is there anything else like this?

https://www.v3sports.org/the-v3-center/
The old bindery building has now been razed. I thought they were going to reuse and expand that building but looking at the graphics on the V3 website it's clear this is going to be a new building. Which makes sense - seems tough to install a massive new aquatic complex any other way than starting from scratch.

daveybabymsp
Nicollet Mall

Postby daveybabymsp » March 2nd, 2023, 10:38 pm

New 2 story mixed use proposed on a vacant lot at 24th and Emerson Ave N. 2 blocks from D line, 4 blocks from Broadway and the future Blue Line Extension. 6 2 story walk up lofts, 1500 sqft retail, 1000 sqft office. L shaped buildings on corner, 8 surface stalls hidden from street by L shape of building.

Not a ton of units, but glad to see mixed use investment on the D line and near the future light rail. Also, there is a special place in my heart for buildings that are similar in form to streetcar era development.