Southside - News & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Southside - News & General Topics

Postby seanrichardryan » March 10th, 2022, 3:06 pm

Looks nice! Should do lots to activate the street in that area.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mulad

Postby mulad » March 13th, 2022, 3:18 pm

I hadn't noticed it before, but this project at 5200 34th Ave S (kitty-corner to Nokomis Hardware and a block south of Oxendale's Market) is nearly buttoned up on the outside. If this letter is still accurate, it has 20 apartment units and 1,928 square feet of office space in front. http://nokomiseast.org/wp-content/uploa ... iption.pdf

PXL_20220313_162353018 by Michael Hicks, on Flickr

PXL_20220313_162234847 by Michael Hicks, on Flickr

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 13th, 2022, 5:04 pm

Great looking project!

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » April 19th, 2022, 9:58 am

Anyone know what's going on at 38th and Bloomington? There is fencing around several buildings on the northeast corner (where Marla's used to be and the next few building) and the parking lot behind them on the alley.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 19th, 2022, 10:10 am

Only permit I see was for a water shutoff and new main line in Feb.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » April 19th, 2022, 2:13 pm

There was a fire in the barbershop a few months ago.

Anondson
IDS Center

Southside - News & General Topics

Postby Anondson » April 19th, 2022, 2:19 pm

Lotta blocks by Nokomis were peat bogs and shouldn’t have been filled and built on, but a century ago were.

https://www.startribune.com/building-ov ... 600166093/

So much groundwater in the spongy peat is a critical problem.

However, it is easily confused with the golf course issue. Related (bad use of a swamp) but different!

luigipaladio
Nicollet Mall

Postby luigipaladio » April 19th, 2022, 9:21 pm

The blocks between 41st and 43rd street and between 16th and 17th avenues used to regularly catch on fire before any houses were built there. The peat would burn for weeks - usually because someone new to the neighborhood would say, "Hey, great vacant lot to burn out leaves on!" One year, the peat continued to burn under the surface well into the winter. After awhile, neighbors would run over and stop people trying to burn leaves if them caught them before they lit their fires.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 5th, 2022, 1:07 pm

A revised version of the Agra Apartments project is back before the CPC next week, with 16 fewer units and no rooftop hydoponic farm, but a 2000 sq ft retail space facing Franklin.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

pillsdoughboy
City Center

Postby pillsdoughboy » May 5th, 2022, 10:54 pm

It's good to see some investment in this part of town. As a relative newcomer to the city, I've heard stories of Seward in the 1960s and 70s being a bustling area and a hub for counterculture, but it's had to imagine it-- whenever I'm around those parts, it feels pretty sparse. Hopefully this will give the neighborhood's economy a bit of a boost.

pillsdoughboy
City Center

Postby pillsdoughboy » May 8th, 2022, 2:33 pm

On tomorrow's Planning Commission agenda: Adaptive reuse of former St. James Episcopal Church at 3225 E Minnehaha Pkwy. 28 new of "missing middle" units in the 1940 church and the 1960s educational wing. Not a hugely remarkable building, but there's definitely a need for these units. Also seems to be fairly close (about a half mile) to the Blue Line.

https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/download ... f%20Report

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 9th, 2022, 7:19 pm

Both Agra Apartments (on consent) and 3225 Minnehaha were approved by the CPC today, despite neighborhood concerns that 29 apartments would somehow add an overwhelming amount of traffic to the parkway, which saw 5500 vehicles per day in 2020.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

dillonfried
City Center

Postby dillonfried » May 18th, 2022, 8:07 am

901 27th Ave S approved by the CPC last week. A six-story mixed-use building with 155 units on the old Perkins site. "Dzieweczynski said the plan is to break ground in the second half of next year and open in late 2024."

https://wellingtonmgt.com/news/wellingt ... es-forward

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » May 23rd, 2022, 10:52 am

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... pment.html

Proposal for 26th and Bloomington. Most units will be 2-3 bed room units
This looks to be dead.

"After public hearing notices were originally sent out for this project, staff identified an additional land use
application (rezoning one or both parcels to avoid split zoning) that would be necessary for the current proposal
to proceed. The applicant indicated their intent to postpone the hearing until they are able to provide the
remaining application requirements. The applicant voluntarily extended the 60-120 timeline to June 24, 2022.
This project was continued four cycles from the March 21, 2022, meeting to the May 23, 2022, meeting. The
applicant is withdrawing the applications for the project at this time."

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » June 13th, 2022, 2:43 am

I noticed some fencing went up on the west side of Lyndale Ave around 56th if I remember correctly. Any ideas what is going on?

COLSLAW5
Nicollet Mall

Postby COLSLAW5 » June 13th, 2022, 8:01 am

that is where lyndale liquors is building their new store

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » June 26th, 2022, 3:38 am

To bad. I was hoping for something more interesting.

I did notice some excavating just south of Lowa46 a week or so back. I guess phase 2 is happening?

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » October 13th, 2022, 12:53 pm

There is a community meeting planned for Saturday, October 22nd, to discuss the future design of George Floyd Square.

It is not my place to decide, but I am very interested in what comes out of this process. Something that stirred my mind on this topic recently was a visit to Richmond, VA, where the city has been grappling with a legacy of racism and injustice that is probably deeper than anywhere else in the United States. The city has a street called Monument Avenue where there used to be a series of equestrian statues celebrating some of the most prominent loser-heroes of the Confederacy. They were only taken down after the murder of George Floyd.

But before that, the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts found a way to artistically respond to and criticize those statues by commissioning Kehinde Wiley to design an equestrian statue for their grounds. The result, Rumors of War takes the form of the statues of Lee, Jackson, etc., except the rider is instead a young black man. From afar, the statue may look like all of the others, which makes the clear contrast up close even more jarring. Appropriately the VMFA put the statue between their building and the neighboring headquarters of (you can't make this up) the United Daughters of the Confederacy.

Anyway, all of this to say that I don't know what people envision for George Floyd Square and it's certainly not up to me what should go there. But the statue of the fist that has remained at the center of that intersection since the summer of 2020 clearly resonates with many people, and what has been happening in Richmond certainly has been inspirational. I wonder if the commission of Wiley or another great artist to design a permanent centerpiece for that intersection might mark the location and its significance appropriately.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » October 13th, 2022, 1:11 pm

There is a community meeting planned for Saturday, October 22nd, to discuss the future design of George Floyd Square.

It is not my place to decide, but I am very interested in what comes out of this process. Something that stirred my mind on this topic recently was a visit to Richmond, VA, where the city has been grappling with a legacy of racism and injustice that is probably deeper than anywhere else in the United States. The city has a street called Monument Avenue where there used to be a series of equestrian statues celebrating some of the most prominent loser-heroes of the Confederacy. They were only taken down after the murder of George Floyd.

But before that, the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts found a way to artistically respond to and criticize those statues by commissioning Kehinde Wiley to design an equestrian statue for their grounds. The result, Rumors of War takes the form of the statues of Lee, Jackson, etc., except the rider is instead a young black man. From afar, the statue may look like all of the others, which makes the clear contrast up close even more jarring. Appropriately the VMFA put the statue between their building and the neighboring headquarters of (you can't make this up) the United Daughters of the Confederacy.

Anyway, all of this to say that I don't know what people envision for George Floyd Square and it's certainly not up to me what should go there. But the statue of the fist that has remained at the center of that intersection since the summer of 2020 clearly resonates with many people, and what has been happening in Richmond certainly has been inspirational. I wonder if the commission of Wiley or another great artist to design a permanent centerpiece for that intersection might mark the location and its significance appropriately.
If a bit of the old gas station land was utilized and the roads shifted slightly the fist could still remain in the center of the street with a roundabout and still provide enough room for metro transit buses.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » October 13th, 2022, 1:20 pm

The city or country should buy the gas station. They should also look into buying the retail building across the street with a parking lot. This would provide them alot more flexibility to work with given there will be many difference voices on what should be done here. Im not sure what should go there. Im not sure if they still plan on the bus route going down Chicago. They would also be able to move the garden area to a more perinate home if people wanted to keep it.