Downtown Minneapolis - News & General Topics

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Postby amiller92 » January 12th, 2016, 11:00 am

If anything I think there's more to indict about the concept of an entertainment district than the concept of parking-protected bike lanes.
Absolutely.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » January 12th, 2016, 11:06 am

I think that was the block that Ellerbe designed that 1,000 foot "Gateway Tower" for back in 2006? 2007? There never was a tenant for it and there never was a developer announcement... but I always thought it was Ellerbe trying to draw attention to their capabilities and major structures that they built in China and the Middle East... I'll see if I can find that article and rendering.
You are probably thinking of the Minneapolis 360 proposal for those parking lots. A rendering is in the link. The residential is to the left on the Ramada lot I believe.

http://www.archfieldoffice.com/architec ... t-of-view/

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » January 12th, 2016, 11:57 am

If anything I think there's more to indict about the concept of an entertainment district than the concept of parking-protected bike lanes.
Absolutely.
Seconded. But hey, gotta have areas downtown where people who don't live downtown can go completely buck wild and make it unappealing for any other kind of business or city dweller.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » January 12th, 2016, 12:04 pm

But hey, gotta have areas downtown where people who don't live downtown can go completely buck wild and make it unappealing for any other kind of business or city dweller.
Couldn't they just settle for a Cowboy Jacks in Maple Grove?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 12th, 2016, 12:51 pm

But we're not talking about concepts. We're talking about the actual, as executed, parking protected bike lanes. And in their actual built form, they are weird, poorly executed, poorly understood, thinly used, and not terribly beneficial to bikers.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » January 12th, 2016, 12:56 pm

But we're not talking about concepts. We're talking about the actual, as executed, parking protected bike lanes. And in their actual built form, they are weird, poorly executed, poorly understood, thinly used, and not terribly beneficial to bikers.
Sure. But going from that (which even the Minneapolis Bike Coalition agrees on) to the premise of Anselmo's article isn't just a leap, it's a somersault.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » January 12th, 2016, 1:53 pm

They are also not at all a factor in what ails entertainment businesses along First Avenue.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 12th, 2016, 2:06 pm

I'll broadly agree with that, and Anslemo always has an axe to grind, it seems. But I think we'd also agree that a functional parking/bike lane configuration would be beneficial to a commercial node.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 12th, 2016, 2:47 pm

It seems rather straightforward to me. If anything is confusing about them, it's the fact that the outer lanes are driving lanes at some hours and parking lanes at other hours. That is a recipe for low/poor use by everyone, regardless of bicycle lanes on the outside. Easy solution: Make them parking lanes at all hours of the day, and install curb extensions at the beginning of the block. Boom, you've instantly communicated that it's a parking lane and not a travel lane, and you've communicated exactly where that lane is relative to the bicycle lane. http://nacto.org/publication/urban-stre ... xtensions/

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » January 12th, 2016, 3:21 pm

Sure. But going from that (which even the Minneapolis Bike Coalition agrees on) to the premise of Anselmo's article isn't just a leap, it's a somersault.
Bike and crime sewer!

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » January 12th, 2016, 3:36 pm

Bike and crime sewer!
That's redundant. All criminals ride bikes when they are not riding the bus.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 12th, 2016, 3:40 pm

If bike lanes led to crime then Copenhagen would be a hell hole. ;)

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » January 12th, 2016, 3:43 pm

Or we could just install protected lanes on Hennepin and eliminate the bike lanes/widen the sidewalks on First. Problem solved. 8-)

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » January 13th, 2016, 1:24 pm

Bike and crime sewer!
That's redundant. All criminals ride bikes when they are not riding the bus.
That's why cyclists don't want registration and license plates, so we can pander to criminals and win Dem votes from them.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » January 14th, 2016, 11:38 am

https://streets.mn/2016/01/14/10-redevel ... p-in-2016/
As First Avenue weathers rumors of its impending demise in Minneapolis (the collapsing ceiling didn’t help), its owners have quietly partnered with Jam Productions and the St. Paul Housing and Redevelopment Authority to reopen the Palace Theatre.
When it opens this year, the Palace will host traveling acts that can draw crowds of 3,000—a little bigger than First Avenue can hold.
What are the chances First Avenue closes after the Palace Theatre opens? If it did happen, could we see the current structure demolished?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 14th, 2016, 11:43 am

I think that "impending demise" is a rhetorical flourish without any basis in reality. Based on my anecdotal experience, First Avenue seems to have more sold-out or almost sold-out shows than at any time I can remember.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 14th, 2016, 11:57 am

I edited that article for streets.mn (it originally appeared on The Line), and I truly have no idea where the author got that from. Just pure conjecture as far as I can tell. Unfortunately we don't ask for sources or take a heavy hand on editing contributions from The Line. If it were coming from a streets.mn author, I probably would have requested a link or something.

First Ave is a smashing success, with frequently sold out shows and is an absolute institution in the local music scene. That said, it's not a very big room, and bigger acts have to either play multiple nights in a row or book another venue. The Palace will be the next logical step up for shows that today are winding up at places like Roy Wilkins or The Myth (in Maplewood). Things would have to go horribly wrong with First Ave's management for its current status to diminish, let alone close. The only real competition downtown is Mill City Nights, which seems to go after different genres and more national acts than First Ave. Fine Line doesn't book as many shows as they used to and also seems to book the same types of acts as Mill City Nights.

P.S. Anyone else going to Polica in March? (3 sold out shows!! March 2-4. I'm going Friday March 4)

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » January 14th, 2016, 12:01 pm

Let's say it did happen, would there be anything preventing the current structure from being demolished? The partnership with Palace Theatre could potentially provide a bridge for the current owners to allow time for a full redevelopment including new First Avenue space. I'm not trying to start a rumor and haven't heard anything to substantiate this, just wishfully speculating. The current structure is single-purpose and sits on such a prime location that could be better utilized. As much as I love First Avenue, I wouldn't mind seeing it reborn in a new multi-use building connected to its neighbors via skyway connections.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 14th, 2016, 12:10 pm

If it ever did close, it'd be the perfect spot for the Minnesota Music History Museum

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » January 14th, 2016, 12:15 pm

Let's say it did happen, would there be anything preventing the current structure from being demolished? The partnership with Palace Theatre could potentially provide a bridge for the current owners to allow time for a full redevelopment including new First Avenue space. I'm not trying to start a rumor and haven't heard anything to substantiate this, just wishfully speculating. The current structure is single-purpose and sits on such a prime location that could be better utilized. As much as I love First Avenue, I wouldn't mind seeing it reborn in a new multi-use building connected to its neighbors via skyway connections.
Don't count on it. It was built in 1936 as the Greyhound bus depot, and the Streamline Moderne style is very rare around here. Minneapolis's is one of the largest such Greyhound depots left standing nationwide.

edit: Worth noting that, even apart from its architectural and historical significance, it's one of Minneapolis's most recognizable and famous landmarks. When I first told my mother that I was moving here, she asked me if I was going to go to "that venue from Purple Rain."