Brunsfield Place - 915 Washington Avenue N

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Brunsfield Place - (915 Washington Avenue North)

Postby Nathan » July 11th, 2013, 12:24 pm

Cool, those will look awesome.

oregonarch
Block E

Postby oregonarch » July 11th, 2013, 6:57 pm

Its a good project because they actually hired a good architect and let them design something interesting.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 12th, 2013, 9:28 am

Its a good project because they actually hired a good architect and let them design something interesting.
Exactly, and even though it's smaller than most other projects, it's going to have a great impact. (And I bet it didn't cost that much more...)

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » July 12th, 2013, 9:45 am

I like the materials, but I think the design leaves something to be desired. The angled windows remind of a prison or detention center of some sort. They could have done worse, but I also think they could have done much better.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 12th, 2013, 10:28 am

They are going to be red in the angled area, as well as covering all of the hvac units on the building, something no one else is doing. I think it's going to be more cohesive and thought out than anything else (under 7 stories) even if the style isn't your personal favorite.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » July 16th, 2013, 8:34 am

JSA is a really good firm and they've done some excellent work. Park Avenue Lofts is a really nice residential project. I'll wait until the building is done but judging by the renderings, Brunsfield is not their best work. Go to the marketing website and look at the flooplans and you'll see that the plans are pretty messy. I have to disagree with you fotoapparatic..."thought out" to me is when there is a strong relationship between the shell and the units/interior and that relationship is lacking in my opinion. In many respects, it looks like this building was designed from the outside in. Also, what do you mean by "covering all of the HVAC units?" Do you mean that they are "hidden" by facing sideways within recessed balconies or...? If so, then that idea is a good one. When the developers are willing to sacrifice some rentable square footage (almost never), recessed balconies are great for this reason (and others).

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 16th, 2013, 11:00 am

I mean that they are hidden behind a mesh screen (according to the documents) that is the same color as the red insets. And it also looked like the balconies might have a wood soffit, which just shows a higher attention to use of material on the exterior. It's a building with only 50 some units, all I'm saying is they have done a better job of using a more compact lot, than a lot of people with a full block (222) have done. And still making it look like a really cohesive urbane project. (aside from the fact that it isn't a super tall or some starchitect built project) I'd imagine the budget and financing were tight, yet they pulled off something withing the 6 story stick built framework that none of the other developers have done.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 16th, 2013, 1:27 pm

When I view the floor plans, I'm not really sure what is "messy" about them. Can you explain Archiapolis? As far as the exterior goes, it definitely appears quite unique from most of the other apartment projects (in a good way). It's scale fits well with the site and you don't get the feeling they're cramming as many apartments as possible on the parcel. The first level is tall and very transparent which will give the apartments above a light, almost floating feeling. The red angled balconies contrast nicely with the zinc paneling. Has a subtle, yet decidedly modern design without being abrasive to the context of the older buildings in the area. My feeling is it will be a beautiful project that contributes to the character of the North Loop in a very positive way.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 16th, 2013, 1:47 pm

You forgot to say "playful"

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 16th, 2013, 7:31 pm

You forgot to say "playful"
No, not for this building ;)

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » July 17th, 2013, 9:50 am

Disclaimer: JSA is a good firm doing good work. Also, I've said in other posts that the developers drive a LOT of what happens in design (for better or worse)so we don't know if what I am describing as "messy" are the ideas of the architect or developer.

Lastly, I am not perfect. I don't have all of the answers. I have a note on a unit that I think is well done. With all of that said, I offer the following as support for my comment that the unit plans at Brunsfield are "messy"...my $.02.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » July 17th, 2013, 11:20 am

You may not be perfect, but you may have just delivered the best piece of criticism to appear on this site to date. Although my bed looks at the toilet and it never bothered me.
"Who rescued whom!"

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » July 17th, 2013, 11:55 am

@redisciple: Thanks. I tried to be specific and avoid minor subjective quibbles with the design. In the end, *most* criticism is subjective (despite how confidently it may be expressed). =^]

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 17th, 2013, 2:33 pm

Thanks for the explanation. I'll take 302 please!

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » July 17th, 2013, 2:52 pm

Good critiques, and good points on the wall-less closets. When I was house-hunting, I remember that rooms without closets couldn't be called a "bedroom" - they had to be called a "bonus room" or something similar. Maybe apartments can get away with that - after all, Ikea sells those giant closet cabinets so maybe there'll be an increase in sales of them.

In addition, the bathrooms in the 2nd and 4th ones open right into the kitchen, which is a big pet peeve of mine - no one wants that much intimacy with guests when you're entertaining.........

And in the 1st, why put the shower in the "master" bedroom and the tub in the "guest" bathroom.

Ya - these are odd layouts!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 17th, 2013, 2:52 pm

John, You own a nice condo, you would not like it there!!

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » July 18th, 2013, 7:20 am

@ztr421: This blog is all about urbanism but right now a 750 sf one bedroom apartment in uptown is renting for the same amount as a nice, single-family detached home around 1500 sf. In the Netherlands, much of their housing is designed WITHOUT built-in closets. There is an assumption that the resident will have or buy nice pieces furniture. The Dutch have 10x the design culture that we do so it is a different world. The problem I see at Brunsfield is that they are going to ask for the same rents as places that DO have built-in closets but the residents are then going to have to buy a wardrobe for a closet. BTW, we bought an Ikea wardrobe for our last house (and it was negotiated in with the sale recently). It was over $1000 when outfitted with the drawers, doors, etc...

Bathrooms that open directly into the common space are not ideal. Sometimes there is no other way. I left that one to try to give JSA the benefit of doubt but I agree - it should be avoided if possible.

Shower in the master is the market for masters right now. They will be fully tiled shower enclosures, maybe have glass doors ($$$) versus pre-manufactured, all-in-one tub/showers ($) in the "shared" bath.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 18th, 2013, 7:41 am

I've got 3 Ikea Wardrobes stuffed into my already closeted bedroom, and really I wish that the closet space was removed and I could just put wardrobes in. They're very nice, but as a consequence of that they can get expensive.

schmitzm03
Nicollet Mall

Postby schmitzm03 » August 5th, 2013, 9:15 pm

Pics from this Sunday.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 6th, 2013, 3:22 pm

Oooooo......all of the sudden I noticed that brown-bricked building right next door, and it fits in SO NICE! I'd love to own that property!

Oh yeah, the Brunsfield is looking good too....