Northeast and Southeast Minneapolis - General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Northeast and Southeast Minneapolis - General Topics

Postby alexschief » October 3rd, 2022, 2:23 pm

Between this, the Youngblood project, the Northrup King Artist Housing, and the 1717 Central project, it's pretty clear that developers are building exactly 1:1 car parking to unit ratios in upper Northeast.

All of these projects hit that mark, which gives Ward 1 the second highest car parking to unit ratio in the city this year (just barely behind Ward 13). With the F Line hopefully coming down the pike in 2026/2027, imo these ratios are disappointingly high.

daveybabymsp
Nicollet Mall

Northeast and Southeast Minneapolis - General Topics

Postby daveybabymsp » October 3rd, 2022, 2:58 pm

Between this, the Youngblood project, the Northrup King Artist Housing, and the 1717 Central project, it's pretty clear that developers are building exactly 1:1 car parking to unit ratios in upper Northeast.

All of these projects hit that mark, which gives Ward 1 the second highest car parking to unit ratio in the city this year (just barely behind Ward 13). With the F Line hopefully coming down the pike in 2026/2027, imo these ratios are disappointingly high.
A lot of northeast is still very car dependent - I’ve been considering moving there so I was looking for neighborhoods with a lot of amenities and was shocked that the only pharmacies I could find in all of northeast were the Walgreens near Central and Lowry and then both cub and target pharmacies in the Quarry shopping center. Grocery stores are a bit better but options are still very limited compared to much of south minneapolis. In general it feels like the Quarry sucks up a lot of demand that might otherwise go to more neighborhood-scale stores. Most of northeast feels more “walkable if you want to get food or drinks” rather than “walkable for your daily needs”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 3rd, 2022, 4:22 pm

Yeah. I'd very much like a neighborhood hardware store up here, and I think that if one already existed at, say, Lowry and Marshall it would do okay, but it's hard to make the business case for opening one in the 7ish miles between the Quarry HD and the Fridley HD.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 18th, 2022, 8:02 am

New before the Planning Committee CoW this week is a proposal for a six story, 65 unit, 20 car parking space project at 613 Van Buren. Here's the packet.
This passed last night, with no one seconding Rainville's (legally indefensible) motion to deny rezoning. So, the other PCs have paid attention to the city attorney's office, even if he's too dumb to. Hope this and 635 manage to get started this coming spring.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

daveybabymsp
Nicollet Mall

Postby daveybabymsp » October 28th, 2022, 4:14 pm

On the planning commission agenda: 89 units with 32 parking spots at 921 and 927 Marshall St. NE:

https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/download ... f%20Report

This part of northeast continues to density rapidly, with relatively low amounts of parking per unit

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » October 29th, 2022, 8:02 am

I work in this neighborhood, it's pretty awesome to see Marshall become a wall of buildings, like a mini Central Park West.

GorillaInYourMidst
Block E

Postby GorillaInYourMidst » November 3rd, 2022, 1:22 pm

An appeal was filed for 613 Van Buren. There will be a public hearing at the BIHZ meeting on Monday, Nov 7 at 1:30 pm: https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/File/2022-01031

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » November 3rd, 2022, 2:50 pm

An appeal was filed for 613 Van Buren. There will be a public hearing at the BIHZ meeting on Monday, Nov 7 at 1:30 pm: https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/File/2022-01031
So what happens now?

drgrant
Block E

Postby drgrant » November 4th, 2022, 10:15 am

I got a kick out of this line.
Annotation 2022-11-04 110905.png
Annotation 2022-11-04 111039.jpg
Not sure what's next--even if this appeal is rejected the rezoning probably still needs a council vote.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » November 7th, 2022, 3:06 pm

Neighbor's appeal denied, rezoning approved. Committee vote is 4-0. Goodman and Rainville absent. This goes forward to the next meeting of the full City Council.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 1st, 2023, 6:30 pm

Looks like an apartment building proposal for 1516 Marshall St NE (currently a dumpster service, across the street from Fletchers) was proposed at the Sheridan Neighborhood Org meeting last week, according to their minutes.

- 184 units with 184 parking spots
- Some kind of commerical space fronting Marshall
- 65' tall (five stories? 1000 Main is five stories and 61', though it doesn't have a commercial space on the ground floor)
- public sidewalk connection from Marshall to the river trail
There's an orange CPC flyer on the building, this will be on the Feb. 6th agenda.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

tdtmpls
Block E

Postby tdtmpls » February 1st, 2023, 7:29 pm

We posted about the preliminary plans for this project last October. Excited to see that there will be an update provided soon! Here's a link to our post if you'd like more details. https://thedevelopmenttracker.com/mpls/ ... ighborhood

GILBball
Metrodome

Postby GILBball » May 2nd, 2023, 7:40 pm

Just got a notice that the Wells Fargo on E Hennepin is closing in August. Anything cooking at that site? Seems like a great location to do something similar to Rafter.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 3rd, 2023, 2:13 pm

That means that the lot across the street is also going to be for sale potentially. This is huge. Now if only interest rates weren't wonky lately...

daveybabymsp
Nicollet Mall

Postby daveybabymsp » May 3rd, 2023, 2:25 pm

Hopefully it won’t sit vacant while a speculator waits for the market/interest rate environment to improve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » May 3rd, 2023, 2:57 pm

That means that the lot across the street is also going to be for sale potentially. This is huge. Now if only interest rates weren't wonky lately...
I wonder if WF will build a new branch there? But I guess they would have broken ground already

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 4th, 2023, 9:52 am

With the US Bank branch nearby, wasn't there something wacky where they had to open the new branch before closing the old one (to make way for Rafter), something to do with federal banking rules?

If Wells Fargo is announcing the closure of this branch and we haven't heard anything about a development proposal for the site, my assumption is that this branch was just slated for closure not related to an impending development. And I wouldn't expect to see a new branch open in the area either. They are consolidating operations to fewer branches. WF also recently closed the Nokomis East branch without replacement.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 29th, 2023, 10:40 am

Neighbor's appeal denied, rezoning approved. Committee vote is 4-0. Goodman and Rainville absent. This goes forward to the next meeting of the full City Council.
And now they're selling the plans and site rights

https://www.loopnet.com/viewer/pdf?file ... 0Flyer.pdf

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » June 29th, 2023, 12:20 pm

And now they're selling the plans and site rights

https://www.loopnet.com/viewer/pdf?file ... 0Flyer.pdf
Does that mean they are selling it to someone else to build?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 29th, 2023, 12:26 pm

Yeah. I'm guessing they weren't able to get financing secured so they're trying to sell to someone who can.

Which worked with HenCen, so it's not unheard of.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]