maxbaby
Landmark Center

Parklets

Postby maxbaby » April 21st, 2014, 1:57 pm

TommyT
Target Field

Re: Parklets

Postby TommyT » April 21st, 2014, 2:04 pm

I just did a google search for them and some are actually really neat little spaces! I approve of this idea.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » April 21st, 2014, 2:43 pm

Parklets, pedestrian plazas, bollard bump outs, planter protected bike lanes, painted intersections: Bring on the cheap, easy, and immediately implementable improvements!

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » April 21st, 2014, 3:59 pm

Here's one I came across in the Mission District in San Francisco:
Pocket Patio by MSPdude, on Flickr

Not getting a lot of use at that time, but I assume if there were tables and chairs, they would be used.
My flickr photos.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 21st, 2014, 4:07 pm

I've seen these before in a number of locations, and in my observations they tend to work great as privately funded, maintained, and used (e.g., sidewalk cafe seating). They don't work great as any sort of public space, because nobody's really paying enough attention to them.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 21st, 2014, 4:09 pm

I saw some in Vancouver, but it was raining when i was there and nobody wanted to sit on a bench when it was raining.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 21st, 2014, 11:13 pm

I just built something like a parklet tonight, in the City Center courtyard, where one ought to have been all along. Come down and enjoy it until Mother's Day.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 21st, 2014, 11:34 pm

Here's one I came across in the Mission District in San Francisco:
Pocket Patio by MSPdude, on Flickr

Not getting a lot of use at that time, but I assume if there were tables and chairs, they would be used.
There are tons of these in San Francisco. Love them!

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » April 22nd, 2014, 12:11 pm

I like the idea, but the one above looks kinda tacky to me.

Anondson
IDS Center

Parklets

Postby Anondson » September 12th, 2014, 9:02 pm

So there is even a thing called Park(ing) Day. A day once every year to take the space of on street metered parking and make it a parklet http://parkingday.org/

Hopkins is going to install one for a few days for Park(ing) Day.
http://www.thinkhopkins.com/hopkins-parklet.html

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 12th, 2014, 9:05 pm

The new one in from of Spyhouse on Nicollet

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » September 13th, 2014, 7:23 am

Okay. I LOVE these things, but I might be a tiny bit disappointed if they are all the same. I think what's so cool about other one's around the country are that they are all unique and different. I hope they hold competitions to design these things, I mean we have a hella local artist scene here so why not?

skyrab

Postby skyrab » September 13th, 2014, 7:32 am

I just built something like a parklet tonight, in the City Center courtyard, where one ought to have been all along. Come down and enjoy it until Mother's Day.
Very cool seanrichardryan! Can you comment on the kind of bureaucracy (if any) did you have to muddle through to bring it to fruition? Such a great concept, just wondering about ordinary citizens setting them up with regard to city compliance/liability issues etc.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 13th, 2014, 10:39 am

I think what we need to keep in mind is that this is the pilot program these just to see how well they'd work in the city. If they end up working well then that would be a good time to get artists involved, and if the city doesn't do it themselves then we should tell the city.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 13th, 2014, 12:23 pm

As I suggested earlier in the thread, the city's involvement in this should be limited to just permitting. Everything else should be done by private users who are going to take the lead on designing, using, programming, and maintaining these. There's really no good reason for the city to get involved.

All the city needs to do is assess if there are any safety reasons why a particular location wouldn't work and charge a fee commensurate with the value of the public right of way that is being used (probably should vary by location). The fee could cover the cost of occasional inspections, and any surplus could go to improve the streetscapes in commercial areas.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » September 13th, 2014, 5:16 pm

Why start this in September, though? June-August would have made more sense.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 13th, 2014, 5:18 pm

Fall is an amazing season for reading outside and drinking tea

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » September 13th, 2014, 5:51 pm

Regardless, no one is sitting in the parklet in front of Spyhouse. I'm a wimp, I chose to stay inside, but I was already hanging outside at Porch Fest. If only they also had a bluegrass band playing next to it, I'm sure people would be taking a seat. Parklets + cool weather = underutilized parklets. Parklets + cool weather + street performers = utilized parklets.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 13th, 2014, 6:41 pm

Well I'm sitting at in now. Some people might not know you can yet. Its been there for a day

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » September 13th, 2014, 7:07 pm

If I didn't see it, it didn't happen. And why would anyone think they can't sit in those chairs? Like they're going to start to sit down and some random people are going to come out and grab them and say they're only for looking, not for sitting? I liked the guy in the smart car trying to squeeze between the little space between the parklet and motorcycle, especially because he had a good deal more room than he thought he did.