Forum Etiquette

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Forum Etiquette

Postby Nick » July 7th, 2013, 11:32 am

Not Really Forum-Related, But Does Anyone Else Get Physically Tired Reading Stuff When Every Word Is Capitalized?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » July 7th, 2013, 12:52 pm

OR EVERY LETTER?

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » July 7th, 2013, 3:06 pm

At times, I have been Guilty of incorrectly capitalizing Random words, but I Feel like I am Usually pretty good At Going back and Fixing it before I Post.
My flickr photos.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 13th, 2013, 1:57 pm

I'm going to make an overall observation that we have pretty good news/photo coverage on the site, so the "Any updates?" posting is maybe a little spammy. Like you could probably go to the Strib/Business Journal/Finance and Commerce website and do a search for "project name" and then post the story here, if there is one.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 13th, 2013, 2:13 pm

^I was going to suggest that the user-who-shall-not-be-named set his signature to "Any updates?"

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 13th, 2013, 3:17 pm

Well...a bunch of people do it. There are a couple examples where it's not horribly annoying, but like...yeah.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

John2015
Block E

Postby John2015 » July 13th, 2013, 4:20 pm

Well sorry!!! I just wanted to see the current status on those projects since i cannot see them being that i live 180 miles away from them. Its not like i can just go drive down and see them when i want. So sorry for annoying all of you.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » July 13th, 2013, 4:40 pm

Just rest assured, if anyone on here has any significant new information on a project, they will almost certainly post it if it is appropriate to be public knowledge. I would think forumers like having an inside scoop on projects. When a project is already under construction, there isn't always much to update, other than it being a little taller than the last update.
My flickr photos.

widin007
Nicollet Mall

Postby widin007 » July 13th, 2013, 6:20 pm

Yo John no one is attacking you, its just most of those posts were updated like 2 weeks ago and when building a tall building not a whole lot changes in 2 weeks. So if someone has a good photo or relevant new information, well there is your update. No need to spam and push for updates when there really isn't anything to update.

*oops looks like I should have looked before I posted, so yeah what he said.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » September 11th, 2013, 7:54 am

Hey folks, please remember to play nice. I feel like I've read a couple unnecessarily snarky posts the seem more like attacks on someone than anything else. Just remember that tone is not always clear online and that if you have a personal annoyance with someone, send them an IM. This last bit is just a personal request. Cheers

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » September 19th, 2013, 9:54 am

P.S. Nick lay off Min-Chi and post something useful to the discussion and tad less snarky.
Ditto. With all due respect, I've noticed this a few times now. Since it seems others have the same feeling, I think I can safely say I've detected a trend.

Moderating is thankless, I get that, and I appreciate it, but it also comes with some level of responsibility to be 'better'. It's unfair, but it is what it is.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 19th, 2013, 7:45 pm

The forum isn't really here to satisfy the need of any one person to write down things they thought in their head without regard to relevancy, accuracy, or coherence. That's what Twitter is for.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

kregger22

Re: Rumors!

Postby kregger22 » March 26th, 2014, 10:23 am

I have no idea where this would go, but why would Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development topic be locked?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 26th, 2014, 10:29 am

Because people started arguing about climate change. And how the building should be 50 stories...or something.

Consider it a "time out".

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » March 26th, 2014, 11:17 am

Are you serious? Blocked for those reasons?

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » March 26th, 2014, 11:20 am

It looks like in the last page people were writing about not being sure how many floors it was and what might look like a better proposal for the site - I guess that some would like it to be 50 floors. Is that a crime? I would too.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » March 26th, 2014, 11:25 am

As many probably know, there is increasing malcontent growing, as expressed over on SSC. I hope these issues get resolved, I'd like to keep the best info in one place, if possible...

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 26th, 2014, 11:32 am

This forum isn't a place to obsess over how tall a building is or if it should be taller. There's room for that on SSC. If that's the conversation you want to have you can go there and have it. The "issues" are people want UrbanMSP to be a site for height fetishists, and that's not what UrbanMSP is. If that deeply offends you, well, I'm sorry, but it's a big internet, and there are no rules here that prevent discussing these things at SSC.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 26th, 2014, 11:40 am

We have threads for
1. Rumors (this one)
2. The Skyline
3. Mpls-St. Paul Fantasies & Speculation
4. Supertalls

Project threads should be kept on topic and discuss the actual project at hand. Is that really too radical of a concept? I can't speak for everyone, but I'd really like to see the actual project threads contain more factual information and less hearsay & off-topic diatribes. Stay on topic, or put it in one of the four "Anything Goes" threads, or create a new one in "Anything Goes" if it doesn't fit. I really don't think we're being too heavy handed here.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » March 26th, 2014, 11:44 am

Good points, but I do believe height and skyline are valid issues for discussion somewhere on the site, if in their separate, second-tier sub-forums, so be it.

For example, think about the pending Lyndale/Franklin project. The nearby residents want their "skyline" view. Seems to me that thousands if not millions may have something to gain from having pretty, tall buildings in the community. Perhaps this even serves to draw more residents toward the "Urban" core, validating its place in the discussions on this website.