Riverview Corridor Streetcar

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Tiller
Foshay Tower

Re: Riverview Corridor Streetcar

Postby Tiller » April 25th, 2024, 5:11 am

I really like this concept, it would be cool if the planners had made more effort into finding interlining opportunities. I suppose you could probably email this idea to the project staff? It's not too late for a change like this, though I'm sure they would find a reason why they couldn't do it.

Part of me does wish that they held off on this project until more tangible plans come out for the DT St. Paul plan thing, where this streetcar could be integrated better into downtown.

By the way, your username is perfect here haha!
As far as I’m aware, St Paul wasn’t willing to close 4th St to expand the Union Depot station, that’s the biggest issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely not an LRT operational expert but what would prevent the Union Depot station function similarly to the Target Field Station since the Green Line opened? Both would be the terminus of 2 rail lines with an island platform
The timing/schedules of the blue and green lines is based on/limited by where they intersect in Minneapolis right now.

With Riverview connecting all three, and with none of them being fully grade-separates lines, all of their schedules would be dependent upon all three lines, which can become a mess due to an issue in one location then having cascading effects throughout the whole system.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » April 25th, 2024, 8:51 am

As far as I’m aware, St Paul wasn’t willing to close 4th St to expand the Union Depot station, that’s the biggest issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely not an LRT operational expert but what would prevent the Union Depot station function similarly to the Target Field Station since the Green Line opened? Both would be the terminus of 2 rail lines with an island platform
The timing/schedules of the blue and green lines is based on/limited by where they intersect in Minneapolis right now.

With Riverview connecting all three, and with none of them being fully grade-separates lines, all of their schedules would be dependent upon all three lines, which can become a mess due to an issue in one location then having cascading effects throughout the whole system.
So the issue wouldn't necessarily be the capacity of Central & Union Depot station the issue would be the on time reliability of the entire system. Which would always have been an issue with interlining, correct? Having shared ROW would only increase those risks of the timing falling apart right?

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » April 25th, 2024, 9:40 am

So the issue wouldn't necessarily be the capacity of Central & Union Depot station the issue would be the on time reliability of the entire system. Which would always have been an issue with interlining, correct? Having shared ROW would only increase those risks of the timing falling apart right?
It's a little of both, because without having a large enough platform at Union Depot for 2 services it would cause ripple affects on all 3 lines. Target Field Station has a tail track to prevent this type of issue, trains can get out of the way.

angrysuburbanite
Metrodome

Postby angrysuburbanite » April 25th, 2024, 10:16 am

Could the section of track between the O&M and Union Depot be used as the tail near Target Field is?
"A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It's where the rich use public transportation."

Note: Many of the thoughts expressed above may be pretty stupid or ill-informed, with some rare good ideas interspersed.