Home Tours

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Home Tours

Postby FISHMANPET » September 25th, 2014, 8:39 pm

My mom and I have been going to the Parade of Homes nearly every year for... well about 20 years now. It's a put on by the builders assocation so it's heavily weighted towards new homes in new communities in the exurbs, but there are a few homes here in the city. In the past there were also some condos, but the market is hot enough/small enough that they don't need to put themselves on display.

Anyway, this weekend is the last weekend, and it's also the Remodeler's Showcase weekend. I'm hoping to at least get to 240 and 241 in Minneapolis, but Ideally I'd like to see all the new and Remodeled homes in the city.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Parade of Homes

Postby grant1simons2 » September 25th, 2014, 8:40 pm

I know there's one right near the greenway behind the Calhoun Beach Club.. Are you going to that one?

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » September 25th, 2014, 8:47 pm

My wife and I like the Minneapolis-St. Paul Home Tour that happens every April. Biking around town and checking out all the remodeled homes is one of those fun rites of spring. Haven't checked out the Parade of Homes though.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 25th, 2014, 9:06 pm

My wife and I like the Minneapolis-St. Paul Home Tour that happens every April. Biking around town and checking out all the remodeled homes is one of those fun rites of spring. Haven't checked out the Parade of Homes though.
The home tour is wonderful! It's an annual event for us too. The nice thing about it is the focus is on older houses in the cities. It's a great way to get ideas on how to work with small and sometimes awkward spaces. We tend to like the remodels that don't expand the footprint of the building. The tour is also a great way to see how salvage parts can really enhance a space.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 26th, 2014, 8:42 am

The Homes by Architects Tour is also recommended (although you just missed it last weekend, so you'll have to wait another year). These are often beautiful gems of houses, with top-notch detailing and some inventive use of space.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 26th, 2014, 9:12 am

I was talking with my mom about the Parade of Homes, and we talked about how we don't like to go to the exurbs anymore, and the reason is that those giant houses aren't really interesting in any way. It's easy to build a huge house when you have no constraints space or budget, so you just end up with huge empty rooms. That Architects tour sounds pretty awesome.

Post your favorite home tour events ITT I guess.

PhilmerPhil

Re: Home Tours

Postby PhilmerPhil » September 26th, 2014, 10:24 am

UrbanMSP User Home/Apartment Tour?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 26th, 2014, 10:27 am

Nobody wants to see how I cram 2000sqft worth of crap into my 1000sqft 2 bdrm apartment.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 26th, 2014, 10:44 am

I love looking at old houses so I'd be up for an UrbanMSP home/apartment/condo tour. I'm always looking for new ideas and it will help me restore some elements of our house if I can see other old homes. It would also be fun to learn more things about old houses from people who have experience with them.

My long-term goal is to get our house on the Mpls-St. Paul home tour once we've redone the kitchen. Bathroom's gonna be re-tiled this winter. We're completely re-siding in less than a month so it's gonna look beautiful!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 26th, 2014, 10:46 am

Nobody wants to see how I cram 2000sqft worth of crap into my 1000sqft 2 bdrm apartment.
Sounds like somebody needs a three car garage.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 26th, 2014, 11:19 am

I mean we just got solar panels put up and we've had other LEED elements added so our house is actually going to be on a tour next year. MN Green Path!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 26th, 2014, 6:50 pm

I have a pretty bad ass 500sf condo in the wedge if you want to see how to do a small space :)