Amtrak: Empire Builder and Borealis (TCMC)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Amtrak Empire Builder to Chicago

Postby DanPatchToget » January 9th, 2022, 2:14 pm

Hopefully CPKC doesn't assume we/Amtrak aren't planning more trips to be implemented eventually. The agreement on a second daily train is of course good news, but the MSP-CHI market is long overdue for multiple roundtrips on multiple routes.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » January 15th, 2022, 7:43 pm

I can't find a source on this yet besides what I saw on the Empire Builder Facebook group. Empire Builder trains will not leave origins (Chicago in the east, Seattle/Portland in the west) on Thursdays and Fridays, so the Empire Builder will temporarily operate 5 times weekly instead of daily. This starts January 27th and ends (hopefully) March 25th. I'm guessing this is due to staff shortages.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 19th, 2022, 11:04 pm

So the Wisconsin Talgos are being sold to Lagos Nigeria for a commuter line. Was it ever looked at to purchase these two unused train sets for MSP-CHI service?

Korh
Rice Park

Postby Korh » January 20th, 2022, 11:16 am

Think they where only meant for a extension from Milwaukee to Madison but who knows where they would of gone to if the project wasn't derailed over a decade ago.

Silophant

Re: Amtrak - Empire Builder and TCMC

Postby Silophant » February 7th, 2022, 8:10 pm

From the STB filing linked in that thread, the TCMC round trip can begin with 60 days' notice, as long as all funding agencies have committed to the previously agreed-upon TCMC upgrades in Winona and La Crosse, and a second round trip could begin upon the completion of those improvements and a commitment to fully fund any additional improvements. There's also some agreements about getting the Hiawatha up to ten daily round trips, allowing a daily round trip to Toronto via Detroit/Windsor starting in 2023, and a second daily round trip starting in 2026, and, if the merger is approved, restoration of service between New Orleans and Baton Rogue.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » February 7th, 2022, 8:29 pm

So if I'm reading this correctly the 2nd daily trip between St. Paul and Chicago can start this year when all the funding is lined up for upgrades to the route that will be completed by 2024, and after those upgrades are completed a 3rd daily trip can be started if funding is allocated for operations?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 8th, 2022, 5:56 pm

Looks like it! I'm not sure what "funding committed" means, exactly - the federal grant and Wisconsin's contribution have been secured for years, and Minnesota's share passed last June. Not sure if that's all that's needed, or if there's administrative stuff that hasn't happened yet.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » February 8th, 2022, 6:04 pm

Today was supposed to be the first day of a Siemens Charger locomotive leading the Empire Builder, but due to issues (specifically with PTC according to online sources) one of the older Genesis locomotives is leading instead. Also there was a small fire on a sightseeing lounge car, so it was removed in Milwaukee before the train continued west. When it rains it pours I suppose. :cry:

Korh
Rice Park

Postby Korh » February 8th, 2022, 6:12 pm

Actually pretty surprised by this given how long it's taking other projects are taking once construction has started.
Then again someone pointed out that if there is political will (read no opposition) getting trains running on already existing track can be remarkable fast since in 1994 LA managed to install a 50 mile extension in about a week since the interstate got destroyed in an earthquake and increased speed and frequency on said extension in about 6 weeks.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » February 10th, 2022, 10:11 am

https://youtu.be/sNzurNrgB8U

Couple of takeaways from the West Central Wisconsin rail coalition meeting.

Westminster junction in St. Paul needs work before any passenger rail to Eau Claire can be implemented.

Wisconsin DOT is trying to encourage Minnesota to work on the connection between St Paul and Minneapolis to be implemented in the near future for new Chicago-St Paul-Minneapolis service. Could this be a first step for Minneapolis to St. Paul regional rail service?

MNdible
is great.

Re: Amtrak Empire Builder and TCMC

Postby MNdible » February 10th, 2022, 10:37 am

Curious why the Westminster junction would impact this service -- if I'm understanding correctly, the Empire Builder doesn't pass through it.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » February 10th, 2022, 10:55 am

Curious why the Westminster junction would impact this service -- if I'm understanding correctly, the Empire Builder doesn't pass through it.
You're right the Empire Builder doesn't run that way, but before any service to Eau Claire can be started as outlined in Amtrak's map. The junction needs to be upgraded as trains would head east from the junction.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 10th, 2022, 11:18 am

Sure, that makes sense.

Korh
Rice Park

Postby Korh » February 11th, 2022, 10:22 am

ALC-42s are now in revenue service on the Empire Builder
https://www.railwayage.com/passenger/in ... f-chicago/
There seems to only gave 2 new trains for the route so far, so I guess the Genesis units aren't dead yet

thespeedmccool
Union Depot

Postby thespeedmccool » February 11th, 2022, 12:27 pm

There seems to only gave 2 new trains for the route so far, so I guess the Genesis units aren't dead yet
For those who're not a railroad buffs, can someone explain what makes these units better than the previous ones?

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » February 11th, 2022, 1:04 pm

For those who're not a railroad buffs, can someone explain what makes these units better than the previous ones?
They meet Tier 4 EPA emissions requirements, can travel up to 125 mph (though they won't without required track and signal upgrades), are quieter, and the Genesis units are 20-30 years old.

Don't quote me on this, but from what I've read the Chargers are having difficulty on steep grades and shut down/stall due to overheating. Apparently there's software and emissions control issues with them.

Korh
Rice Park

Postby Korh » February 11th, 2022, 7:27 pm

And they look better then the old Genesis units.

StandishGuy
Nicollet Mall

Postby StandishGuy » February 12th, 2022, 11:51 am

I have a Fantasy Map dream of linking the Empire Builder from downtown St. Paul to downtown Minneapolis along a vacated I94 corridor. I'm not sure how to connect from Union Depot into the freeway trench, but imagine a connection near the Wabash bridge over I94 near the old Amtrak Depot. The route would then continue into Minneapolis through the Lowry Hill tunnel reaching Target Field station from the west. That would keep the Empire Builder from having to back out of Target Field Station. Now that's "Rethingking I94". :)

Korh
Rice Park

Postby Korh » March 10th, 2022, 1:04 pm

Apollo
Block E

Postby Apollo » March 10th, 2022, 1:29 pm

I'm curious, what are they doing with the St. Paul Midway Facility since I notice that they note they're doing interior work at the former station? Are they converting it into a crew station for the second train to change over crews / second train overnight storage or what's the plan for the Midway facility?