West End area - St. Louis Park / Golden Valley

Twin Cities Suburbs
daveybabymsp
Nicollet Mall

Re: West End area - St. Louis Park / Golden Valley

Postby daveybabymsp » November 23rd, 2022, 10:30 am

I’ve wondered if they could make use of the express lane for transit - it currently has completely separate ROW from the general purpose lanes from downtown to highway 100. Maybe include a stop at Penn to connect to SWLRT and a west end station?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » November 24th, 2022, 12:46 pm

Would the trains use the express lane in addition to the buses that currently use it?

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » December 22nd, 2022, 1:17 pm

https://www.startribune.com/west-end-re ... 600238085/

Not sure if this is directly relevant of any future development in the area, but I suppose it is nice to see it being sold to local investors. More than anything else, this is probably mostly of an indication of how Covid has changed relative valuation of retail and office compared to pre-pandemic.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » December 22nd, 2022, 8:46 pm

Here's the article that was linked to back on page 8. The complex has major problems beyond COVID- too much of the wrong kind of retail was spec built and shoppers hate having to park in the ramp as opposed to surface lots.
https://tcbmag.com/shops-at-west-end-ri ... rong-size/

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » March 28th, 2024, 10:41 am

The West End would probably do better if the site across the street wasn't an ode to 1970s suburban design and 2020s giant gas-powered SUVs (with not only a Costco, but a Costco gas station). When will Costco put in EV charging stations at the store, and reuse or sell the gas station for something else? It's definitely not a growth opportunity as a gas station.

Have the new owners brought more retail to the West End recently? Are the rents cheaper?

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » March 28th, 2024, 3:31 pm

I think there are charging stations at the store.

rmc
City Center

Postby rmc » April 22nd, 2024, 8:46 am

There are (functional?) vehicle charging stations at Costco. The gas station is constantly busy. If anything, Costco and its gas station are the largest draw in the area. There's likely not a more profitable business use for that gas station property than what it already is.

Just changing the design of the property across the street won't do anything to draw more traffic to the west end shops. People aren't going walk across Park Place Blvd to enjoy the random selection of retail and restaurants. West End Shops may be designed as a walkable shopping area, but it's occupied like a strip mall. People go there to hit one particular restaurant or store, not walk/shop the district.

Not much has changed at West End. It still seems to have a number of vacancies, especially on the south end. This article claims 80% occupancy, but admits the south end is a lost cause. Much of the occupied spaces seem to be only partially open from my recent visits.
https://tcbmag.com/hempel-real-estates-west-end-play/

It's always had an identity crisis, lacking the gravity in any space to really attract consistent visitors. Is it retail? Entertainment? Pop-up shops? Its ownership never seemed motivated to fill spaces, likely using vacancies here to offset profits elsewhere. Maybe the new "local" ownership will improve this.

Anondson
IDS Center

West End area - St. Louis Park / Golden Valley

Postby Anondson » August 15th, 2024, 12:06 pm

6-story apartment proposal, on the mostly surface parking lot of the offices on the Southeast corner of Park Place Blvd and Gamble Drive.

223 unit. Maybe coffee shop on ground level. And another grocer?

Honestly over due for housing to appear at the south edge of West End.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... state.html

Also looks like TIF will be sought. And the coffee shop is proposed to have a drive through, though the city asked to remove it. Hemple said that would negatively affect the feasibility.

Pip
Block E

Postby Pip » August 30th, 2024, 1:28 pm

2 West End-related retail/ restraurant updates

This is a rumor so don't hold me to this but I've heard several people around West End mention it this week. Apparently Rojo might re-brand as Chi-Chi's and re-start that dead franchise soon. This might sound crazy but realize that the owner of Rojo is Michael McDermott. His mom was the real-life Chi-Chi. His dad created the Chi-Chi's and Fuddrucker's brands. Chi-Chi's still exists as a separate entity selling salsas and there were a few Chi-Chi's franchises left in Europe until a few years ago but I think they're all gone now. I like Rojo but it's been open in West End since 2010. Maybe it's a good idea to move to try another Mexican-style restaurant and use the nostalgic memories of Chi-Chi's to generate some buzz.

Secondly, after a few months of delays, Boketto is opening September 13. From what I hear, they are going after a very upscale audience and they will have enforce a dress code. They will be offering bottle service in their lounge on the weekends. Sounds like they will be testing how nice of a place that area can handle. They will have wagyu and other premium offerings not currently available in Minnesota. They will be consolidating some of the premium wines currently sitting at other Crave locations to Boketto. Interested to see if they can make the location work after several previous failures.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 2nd, 2024, 11:18 am

What I remember most about Chi Chi's was a hepatitis outbreak
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 3rd, 2024, 12:38 pm

When I was a child there was a rumor that Chi Chi's was Spanish for breasts.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 3rd, 2024, 1:04 pm

Sometimes rumors are true.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 5th, 2024, 1:27 pm

^Exchanges like this are why I chipped in money to keep this place running :)