Freight Rail News and Happenings

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Korh
Rice Park

Re: Freight Rail News and Happenings

Postby Korh » September 14th, 2022, 7:10 pm

Just a thought how many railroads in the state are gonna be effected by the potential strike on Friday?
I think there's 20 companies in MN, but I haven't really heard/looked if the unions are angry at them along with the class Is

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » October 30th, 2022, 3:06 pm

Track is now being laid for the new TC&W-MN&S connection in St. Louis Park.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 16th, 2023, 9:59 am

I'm wondering if the decline of coal, with power generation rapidly shifting away from coal burning and steel mills being replaced by electric arc furnaces, will eventually lead to further changes in Minnesota's rail network. I'm thinking specifically of the DM&E from Brookings to Winona, which I believe underwent some pretty significant upgrades to accommodate the massive coal production being hauled out of the Powder River Basin. There's also a lot of coal that comes to Duluth by rail before being transferred to ships.

commissioner
Nicollet Mall

Postby commissioner » January 16th, 2023, 11:36 pm

I'm wondering if the decline of coal, with power generation rapidly shifting away from coal burning and steel mills being replaced by electric arc furnaces, will eventually lead to further changes in Minnesota's rail network. I'm thinking specifically of the DM&E from Brookings to Winona, which I believe underwent some pretty significant upgrades to accommodate the massive coal production being hauled out of the Powder River Basin. There's also a lot of coal that comes to Duluth by rail before being transferred to ships.
I'm not sure coal had anything to do with the DM&E line being upgraded rather than CP buying out DM&E and Hunter Harrison saying that they wouldn't expand the line into the Powder river basin (much to Rochester's relief!), I can maybe see the line from Staples to Duluth being abandoned since most of the trains on that line are coal trains.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 17th, 2023, 11:23 am

Yeah, as I did some follow up research after my post, it does seem like you're correct -- the plan to service the Powder River Basin never actually went into full effect, and CP sold off the trackage that DM&E had acquired beyond Minnesota. I do wonder how viable that line is without coal to justify investment in it, though.

Regarding Duluth (Superior, actually) and coal, here's a good article that shows how much it's fallen in recent years.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » January 17th, 2023, 9:53 pm

A new industry shipping by rail has/will be opened on BNSF's Monticello Subdivision in Albertville. I think it's a concrete facility, but I'm not certain on that.

You can see it under construction on Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/@45.2484527 ... a=!3m1!1e3

commissioner
Nicollet Mall

Postby commissioner » January 17th, 2023, 11:15 pm

Yeah, as I did some follow up research after my post, it does seem like you're correct -- the plan to service the Powder River Basin never actually went into full effect, and CP sold off the trackage that DM&E had acquired beyond Minnesota. I do wonder how viable that line is without coal to justify investment in it, though.

Regarding Duluth (Superior, actually) and coal, here's a good article that shows how much it's fallen in recent years.
Before CP came along, it was a 10mph mainline that had numerous derailments. now it's a 25-30 mph main with welded rail.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » February 6th, 2023, 9:47 am

https://m.startribune.com/empty-rail-ca ... 600249411/

$7-8 million might be spent so Lakeville homeowners don’t have to look at stored railcars on a railroad that was there before they were born.

I do understand the concern with the only exit out of a neighborhood being blocked by a train (which is just poor planning), but it seems like it would be better to build another road out of the neighborhood. If the new storage track is built, what makes them think Progressive Rail won’t continue to store railcars on the tracks through those neighborhoods?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 6th, 2023, 10:08 am

Looks like there are some very large, expensive houses directly impacted by this, which may explain why it's a priority.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » February 6th, 2023, 12:35 pm

I'm sure they won't mind a special assessment to their properties to pay for this targeted benefit :)

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 6th, 2023, 2:49 pm

If the new storage track is built, what makes them think Progressive Rail won’t continue to store railcars on the tracks through those neighborhoods?
The article does state that language would be added strictly prohibiting them from using those tracks for storage if the new tracks are built.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » February 6th, 2023, 3:59 pm

If the new storage track is built, what makes them think Progressive Rail won’t continue to store railcars on the tracks through those neighborhoods?
The article does state that language would be added strictly prohibiting them from using those tracks for storage if the new tracks are built.
I don't see how that could be enforced considering railroads are protected by federal laws.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 7th, 2023, 10:30 am

I don't think there's anything that precludes the railroad and the city from entering into a binding contract, though, if both were willing parties. In other words, if the city (with mostly other people's money) offers to build new storage track that is attractive to the railroad, they could sign a contract that would prevent them from storing cars in their current location in exchange for building said track.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » March 28th, 2023, 7:23 pm

$151.4 million in state funding needed for railroad projects across the state, according to MnDOT: https://www.railwayage.com/freight/shor ... _qjGSeDVG0

If you scroll down you can see details of the proposed projects.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 29th, 2023, 8:06 am

Please explain to me why these issues with privately owned infrastructure is now the responsibility of the state.

Especially since railroads have been such good neighbors and always willing to work hard and negotiate in the interest of the greater good.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » March 29th, 2023, 9:49 am

State funding in exchange for ownership/usage interests in the rails?

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » March 29th, 2023, 5:14 pm

Please explain to me why these issues with privately owned infrastructure is now the responsibility of the state.

Especially since railroads have been such good neighbors and always willing to work hard and negotiate in the interest of the greater good.
The state gives plenty to truck companies with all the massive roads and highways we built, seems only fair we give something to railroads, which is the most efficient land-based transportation we have.

A couple years ago MnDOT helped fund a bridge rehab project in South Minneapolis on Canadian Pacific owned tracks, and I remember someone on here contacting MnDOT to try to pressure CP and the Minnesota Commercial Railway (the primary user of those tracks) to accept an extension of the Midtown Greenway across the Mississippi in exchange for that funding. I don't remember the details on MnDOT's response, but I know they didn't give that idea any consideration. I would absolutely support helping out the railroads and in return they allow public use of their right-of-way (trails, transit, etc.), but it seems the people at MnDOT aren't interested in trying that for whatever reason(s).

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » March 29th, 2023, 7:06 pm

The state gives plenty to truck companies with all the massive roads and highways we built, seems only fair we give something to railroads, which is the most efficient land-based transportation we have.

A couple years ago MnDOT helped fund a bridge rehab project in South Minneapolis on Canadian Pacific owned tracks, and I remember someone on here contacting MnDOT to try to pressure CP and the Minnesota Commercial Railway (the primary user of those tracks) to accept an extension of the Midtown Greenway across the Mississippi in exchange for that funding. I don't remember the details on MnDOT's response, but I know they didn't give that idea any consideration. I would absolutely support helping out the railroads and in return they allow public use of their right-of-way (trails, transit, etc.), but it seems the people at MnDOT aren't interested in trying that for whatever reason(s).
I don't want any money going to fund BNSF, or CP as they should be responsible for the safe maintenance of their tracks or else give up ownership to the government. But for the smaller ones that don't make much of a profit, it's much harder to afford maintenance. I think it's good that the state helps them stay afloat and keep trucks off our road.

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » March 29th, 2023, 10:08 pm

An Alan Fisher video that makes a good case for nationalisation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKHYQ4ptA8Q

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » April 3rd, 2023, 6:12 pm

I don't want any money going to fund BNSF, or CP as they should be responsible for the safe maintenance of their tracks or else give up ownership to the government. But for the smaller ones that don't make much of a profit, it's much harder to afford maintenance. I think it's good that the state helps them stay afloat and keep trucks off our road.
Welcome to America, where government gives money to (multi)billion dollar companies.

I don't disagree with you, but the corporate culture at these companies favors keeping the shareholders happy over the people who run and maintain the trains and infrastructure. That culture will be tough to change, and if nationalisation of the railway network gets any traction in the federal government I'm sure these companies would rather spend money on lobbyists to prevent that from happening instead of taking better care of their equipment and infrastructure.