Nicollet Ave / Eat Street - Whittier, Stevens, Loring Park

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Nicollet Ave / Eat Street - Whittier, Stevens, Loring Park

Postby Mdcastle » April 20th, 2023, 4:38 pm

So, why doesn't the city pass an ordinance requiring restaurants to have indoor seating if that's a goal of the city? It's not like this isn't an industry trend (see also the "Demolition Man Taco Bell in Brooklyn Park" and how few Pizza Huts still have seating any more) so unless there's an ordinance you're going to see more of it.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 21st, 2023, 4:53 pm

Another McNothing burger argument here. This was specifically done to keep "those people" in the neighborhood from sitting in there. There's no bathrooms, no chairs, no self service station. To say it's just "the way the industry is going" doesn't excuse the intentions. They also removed the pick-up window that used to be here.

Don't even get me started on the landscaping design... A solid path that made sense organically leading to the door was replaced with... this :/
20230411_124309.jpg
Screenshot 2023-04-21 174904.png

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » April 21st, 2023, 8:33 pm

Were "those people" paying customers that were behaving decently?

tedlanda2571
Metrodome

Postby tedlanda2571 » April 23rd, 2024, 12:32 pm

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » April 24th, 2024, 9:37 am

I haven't been in there since the remodeling wrapped, but the building footprint didn't change, so the dining room is still there, right? They're just not using it? (Which they have been doing since Covid hit, I'm pretty certain.)
No, when you walk into the lobby there are two ordering kiosks, a mobile order pickup window and a single POS register. Any dining room space is behind a permanent wood wall and keypad entry door. There are no public tables in eyesight anywhere.
It's the same with the remodeled store at Lake & 35. Awkward and sterile space with a few kiosk and a counter. This contrasts with other stores in the suburbs. Going to the dining room of a McDonalds is something Seniors do or families with young kids. You can go there, get somewhat affordable food and families can let their kids be kids a bit more. It appears this is a privilege we've lost in the cities.

pannierpacker2
Block E

Postby pannierpacker2 » April 24th, 2024, 4:57 pm

I haven't been in there since the remodeling wrapped, but the building footprint didn't change, so the dining room is still there, right? They're just not using it? (Which they have been doing since Covid hit, I'm pretty certain.)
No, when you walk into the lobby there are two ordering kiosks, a mobile order pickup window and a single POS register. Any dining room space is behind a permanent wood wall and keypad entry door. There are no public tables in eyesight anywhere.
It's the same with the remodeled store at Lake & 35. Awkward and sterile space with a few kiosk and a counter. This contrasts with other stores in the suburbs. Going to the dining room of a McDonalds is something Seniors do or families with young kids. You can go there, get somewhat affordable food and families can let their kids be kids a bit more. It appears this is a privilege we've lost in the cities.
Different city, but the same situation is at their location at Clarence and Maryland in St. Paul. In that store it's even worse because the counter has a giant red sign posted asking all customers to use the electronic kiosks and not bother the in-person store workers. The one time I walked in there, pretty much every person inside was an uber eats driver waiting to pick up their order.