Minnesota State Flag and Seal Redeisgn

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Re: Minnesota State Flag and Seal Redeisgn

Postby BBMplsMN » December 15th, 2023, 7:25 pm

They chose the right flag option. I’ll be curious to see which variation they go with. The updated star is an improvement. I prefer the one with the light blue and green stripes but could be swayed by another stripe option. To me, blue and green are MN’s colors (see the State Fair or MN government branding). Hopefully they don’t go forward with the offset MN shape (it’s a little too in the nose).

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » December 15th, 2023, 7:28 pm

This was my second choice after the sort of North Star Flag although I wish they'd use a darker shade of green.

I don't have strong opinions on the variations other than I feel green should be included to represent the land and forests.

thespeedmccool
Union Depot

Postby thespeedmccool » December 15th, 2023, 8:34 pm

So help me God if they pick the offset K shape.

Looks absolutely terrible.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » December 18th, 2023, 8:42 am

I prefer the 8 pointed star that looks like a compass, 4 primary points and 4 secondary points.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » December 19th, 2023, 11:19 am

Minnesota panel selects final state flag design

I'm going to let this sit with me for awhile before I come to a conclusion, but it does strike me as odd that the commission voted down the Starflake design, presumably because "star on blue field" was too simplistic, and we ended up with "star on two-toned blue field" instead.

Also, sounds like the standard troll reaction to the flag will be that "it's a carbon copy of Somalia's flag".

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 19th, 2023, 11:25 am

I loved the tri-color bars. *sigh*

thespeedmccool
Union Depot

Postby thespeedmccool » December 19th, 2023, 12:58 pm

Losing the tricolor makes this look so bland, but I'm just happy they didn't go asymmetrical.

Everyone I spoke with wanted the tricolor version. I'm certainly less proud of the blank blue-on-blue design than I would be of the tricolor, but whatever. This isn't bad enough to get upset about.

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » December 19th, 2023, 6:17 pm

It’s a good looking flag. I originally liked the stripes, but the more I sit with it, I prefer the refined simplicity of the two blues. It’s a flag I could sketch from memory with only having seen it briefly. I would also be happy to fly it in my yard.

https://m.startribune.com/tuesday-we-ge ... 600329292/

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » December 21st, 2023, 8:45 am

Simple = good. I think this was a very good outcome for both flag and seal.

Korh
Rice Park

Postby Korh » December 21st, 2023, 8:55 am

Question is will we see merchandise for it, I was shopping around for a white elephant at work and looking at a bunch of Minnesota themed stuff and not once did I see the current/old flag, it was always a loon, a walleye, or most common the state silhouette (ended up buying a plague with the twins, vikings, and wild logos in the shape of the state with the words "always optimistic" on the bottom)

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » December 21st, 2023, 2:37 pm

Snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. The commission flirted with some awful ideas but picked a great one. I've seen people conflating "simple" with "safe." But the chosen design is actually fairly bold, defaulting to a tricolor would've screamed 'FLAG!' and given more colors as a compromise. Instead, the commission picked the better design and I'm glad they did.

I think the flag works on three levels:

Primary Meanings: (Individual elements)
- The swallowtail shape on the hoist end effortlessly calls Minnesota to mind by invoking the state shape.
- The blue block on the fly represents the state's lakes and rivers and will evoke flowing water as it waves
- The star represents the state's motto and is linked to the floor of the state capitol and Dakota symbolism

Secondary Meanings: (Interaction between elements)
- The choice of two shades of blue references the unclear etymology of state's name as either mní sóta (clear water) or mníssota (cloudy water), as well as the various interpretations of "mní sóta maḳoce" as the "land where the waters reflect the clouds/sky" or (as Hamm's would have it) the "land of sky-blue waters."
- The swallowtail/chevron creates an arrow pointing at the North Star when flying horizontally, and when hanging vertically it looks like a waterway disappearing into the distance with the star in the sky above.

Bonuses:
- The flag design is extremely customizable while still being recognizable. I've already seen versions with the colors of every state's sports team, I've seen versions with various LGBTQ flags on the fly, I've seen versions that adapt previous flag submissions. The color block on the fly end and the distinctiveness of the swallowtail mean that, even though the flag don't look overtly like a brand, it can function as one.
- The flag has a strong winter vibe, with its icy blue and dark navy. But I think it also has a strong summer vibe, feeling just as natural flying above a beach on a lake.

I really think it works in many ways and will quickly become a classic. I've ordered one to fly, as well as a handful of stickers to apply around town.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 21st, 2023, 3:01 pm

Secondary Meanings: (Interaction between elements)

- The swallowtail/chevron creates an arrow pointing at the North Star when flying horizontally, and when hanging vertically it looks like a waterway disappearing into the distance with the star in the sky above.
I can see heads of trolls mad that the “arrow” is pointing… left.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » December 21st, 2023, 4:12 pm

My 4-year-old thinks it looks like a nativity scene when displayed vertically. Just slap a manger inside the light blue and you're done :)
I can see heads of trolls mad that the “arrow” is pointing… left.
Not to mention BLUE.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » December 21st, 2023, 9:19 pm

Shrugs. This conservative doesn't read into anything about the colors or orientation of the flag, and thinks the whole "it looks like Somalia" thing is a bunch of malarky. It's certainly better than the current one. Maybe I'll actually get a flagpole put up in front of my house this spring.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » December 21st, 2023, 11:11 pm

Some people actually think it looks like Somalia's flag? :? Just put them together and you'll see they aren't similar in any way besides both of them having a star.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 22nd, 2023, 4:27 pm

Some people actually think it looks like Somalia's flag? :? Just put them together and you'll see they aren't similar in any way besides both of them having a star.
My brother remarked that he felt the tricolor was a knock-off worse version of the Jubaland flag, and that it was clearly borrowed from. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubaland