Green Line Extension - Southwest LRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Southwest Corridor (Green Line Extension)

Postby David Greene » January 14th, 2014, 11:29 pm

I'll admit that I did misspeak
I very much appreciate the mea culpa. Thank you.
I do believe that nothing groundbreaking is happening to provide real changes to the transit network in the city. Arterial BRT and Streetcars are minor improvements along existing transit corridors, and aren't going to provide a lot of new options. Penn and Emerson arterial BRT are going to bring riders to same places that the 5 and the 19 do at slightly faster travel times. Same with streetcars on Broadway and Nicollet.
I don't know, I think a Broadway streetcar could bring real change to the area. Nicollet I agree seems like a waste of time and money. We should be putting that into Broadway.

Certainly the Midtown corridor will be an amazing service.

I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude with aBRT. It has the potential to be very nice, but as with every bus project, lots of potential to be watered-down, too.

The reality is that grade separation isn't going to happen unless it's easy like in the Midtown corridor. Given that we either need very wide streets or we need to close streets to cars and make them dedicated to transit. I'm not opposed to that at all, in fact I would welcome it. So yes, let's think about transformative transit but let's think about realistic transit at the same time.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » January 14th, 2014, 11:49 pm

I do believe that we can do transformative things with transportation. We've done transformative things for bikes. The city is actively planning to tear out residential streets and replace them with bike paths in North Minneapolis. I wouldn't be surprised that they want to expand that city wide. So why can't we consider the closing of a commercial street to traffic and give the ROW to transit?

We can think about tunneling this way: Say the city needs 10 miles or so of tunnels for LRT. Nicollet, Central, Broadway, Hennepin, Chicago, etc; wherever. An LRT tunnel costs maybe $200 million dollars a mile. CTIB is bringing in $100 million a year on a quarter-of-a-percent sales tax. Imagine if our sales tax for transit was one percent. There would be a lot more money for transit, and we would have money for tunnels. This would result in the ability to do transformative things for public transportation in the Twin Cities. New things could be done, things that would shift growth to booming urban areas and underutilized brownfield sites. Things that would improve the efficiency of out transportation system as a whole, things that would create a new dynamic for the regional economy.

This is all parallel to the way road planning was done sixty years ago. New high-speed roads would allow access to the hinterlands, and would allow huge economic development. If we took Nicollet Ave, and upgraded it from 2 to 4 lanes, we would have destroyed an urban economy, and created a slow route for automobiles to travel to suburbs that would have likely been unsuccessful. Expanding a mass transit system wouldn't have an impact like a freeway system in the fact that it wouldn't require mass demolitions and evictions, but it would create new access and big improvements in mobility.

DFPegg
Metrodome

Postby DFPegg » January 15th, 2014, 10:38 am

I agree with David in part, though I also agree density requires improvement in Uptown. Either way, the die have been cast and people should just try to make improvements to 3A, Midtown and Nicollet, especially improving times on Nicollet.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 15th, 2014, 10:42 am

CTIB is bringing in $100 million a year on a quarter-of-a-percent sales tax. Imagine if our sales tax for transit was one percent. There would be a lot more money for transit, and we would have money for tunnels.
Money isn't the only problem. If you're looking for federal matching funds (and we would with tunnels), you have to show that the tunnel is cost-efficient. That's going to be nearly impossible for our region. The cut-and-cover through Kenilworth is a special case as there is no built environment to deal with there.

The cost estimates being thrown around here for tunnels seems to be very lowballed. You can't use the airport tunnel as a guide. The CIDNA folks tried to do that to argue for a deep bore tunnel for SWLRT and they were picked apart by the engineering staff. You can't just declare that the engineers are wrong about costs -- it's their job and they are the experts.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 15th, 2014, 10:46 am

I agree with David in part, though I also agree density requires improvement in Uptown. Either way, the die have been cast and people should just try to make improvements to 3A, Midtown and Nicollet, especially improving times on Nicollet.
I am ALL for improving Uptown transit! I live there after all. I definitely think a focus on Nicollet is warranted. It's still early in the process and Lisa Bender could be an excellent advocate for improving the service. It's now in her ward so she carries weight.

We do need improved bus service on Hennepin and Lyndale. I don't think a streetcar on either makes any more sense than a streetcar on Nicollet. In fact it's probably worse because traffic volumes are so much higher.

One thing we could do right now is enforce the right turn and buses only rule on Hennepin downtown. Those lanes get clogged by through-traffic cars, holding up the buses.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » January 15th, 2014, 12:43 pm

Money isn't the only problem. If you're looking for federal matching funds (and we would with tunnels), you have to show that the tunnel is cost-efficient. That's going to be nearly impossible for our region. The cut-and-cover through Kenilworth is a special case as there is no built environment to deal with there.

The cost estimates being thrown around here for tunnels seems to be very lowballed. You can't use the airport tunnel as a guide. The CIDNA folks tried to do that to argue for a deep bore tunnel for SWLRT and they were picked apart by the engineering staff. You can't just declare that the engineers are wrong about costs -- it's their job and they are the experts.
A minor quibble, but since the tunnel is under a more-or-less grade separated rail corridor, is it really cost effective? Tunneling is great when it means not taking properties (costly, litigious) and/or significantly speeds up service. This does neither, since other options (elevated bike trail, moving bike trail) are on the table and cost far less (they just happen to be unpopular with local residents and bicyclists). So why would the Feds be any more keen to match an additional $150m+ for tunneling here than they would for tunneling elsewhere?

As to the validity of cost estimates, I'm not going to claim to be an expert on estimating, and mean no harm or ill will with my next statement. But how many engineers on staff with the Met Council are tunneling experts? We've done one (Blue Line at MSP) over 10 years ago. The estimates they provided were based on other projects on per-mile basis. I'm genuinely curious what makes crowd-sourced estimates here based on geological surveys and similar projects across the country that untrustworthy?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 15th, 2014, 1:08 pm

I'm genuinely curious what makes crowd-sourced estimates here based on geological surveys and similar projects across the country that untrustworthy?
I'll bite. It's because you all have an agenda that you're trying to push (and who doesn't?), and so you cherry-pick numbers you like, don't include costs that you didn't think of (ventilation and vertical circulation and necessary land acquisitions), and generally underestimate how complicated an undertaking like this would be.

The Met Council has contracts with some of the largest engineering firms in the world, who certainly do have access to tunneling experts.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 15th, 2014, 1:37 pm

A minor quibble, but since the tunnel is under a more-or-less grade separated rail corridor, is it really cost effective? Tunneling is great when it means not taking properties (costly, litigious) and/or significantly speeds up service. This does neither, since other options (elevated bike trail, moving bike trail) are on the table and cost far less (they just happen to be unpopular with local residents and bicyclists). So why would the Feds be any more keen to match an additional $150m+ for tunneling here than they would for tunneling elsewhere?
Because apparently the cost of the tunnels still keeps the line within the federal guidelines. If they made the line unworkable they wouldn't be getting any play.

I don't know the details but I do know that smart and experienced people are looking at this.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » January 15th, 2014, 2:20 pm

Quick question: the much-ballyhooed 90 day delay of the SWLRT Met Council vote occurred on or around Oct. 17, 2013... which was 90 days ago. Is a vote on the tunnel situation imminent? I'm not hearing much about it.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » January 15th, 2014, 2:38 pm

Additionally, Hennepin County shot down the idea of light-rail on the Bottineau corridor through North Mpls, nor did the residents fight for a better line (i.e. a W Broadway tunnel), which really suggests that the residents in North Minneapolis aren't very interested in actually having improved transit options.
Er...wow. Did you attend any of the NTN meetings in North? People very much want better transit. But, surprise! They don't always agree on what that looks like. People up there have very good reasons to want a Broadway/Penn alignment for Bottineau and very good reasons to want a Wirth alignment. And they're smart enough to know a tunnel is so far beyond the realm of possibility that they're not going to waste their power fighting for it.
This is a really interesting conversation that I think starts to get a big problem we have locally with planning. I agree with David that likely there was at least a substantial minority of advocates on the Northside who really were in favor of quality transit there (though don't mistake everyone who says they're in favor of transit for actually being in favor of quality transit that would get in the way of their automobility, e.g. transit improvements that would reduce parking, etc). But of course we haven't had quality transit in this city or with few exceptions in this country since the dawn of mass mobility. Most people likely here don't know what quality transit would look like, so they aren't really sure how to advocate for it. If anyone perceives this as arrogance, please note that it is intended towards all Minnesotans, not just Northsiders, so I'm at least equitably arrogant.

So in theory it should fall to planners - the experts - to guide citizens towards the best options. But there are two impediments. One is that much transit planning is outsourced to consulting firms that primarily have expertise with highways are merely looking for new markets. They may have as little idea of what quality transit is as the average citizen. Please remember here that engineering firms still offer very little coursework outside of highway design, and they offered effectively none until very recently. Similarly, there were very few schools with a transit planning focus until around 20 years ago. The Met Council does have transit planners that are focused on transit and very knowledgeable about it. However, they are beaten into submission by the failure of the political class to support them for the last 40 years, so aren't willing to stick their neck out too far (a common deficiency among bureaucrats of all types).

So in reality the responsibility lies with our leaders. In fairness, they tend to start from the same point of ignorance as any other Minnesotan (or American). But if they believe that transit will be an important component of moving our region forward, they need to do their homework to find out what that transit should look like. This doesn't need to be down to the level of what tension overhead wire needs to be kept at, it can merely be the observation that Dallas' LRT is relatively unproductive because it avoids populated areas while Houston's LRT is very productive because it does the opposite. Brownie points would be a trip to France to study how they've built extremely productive LRT for very little money (hint: it involves sacrificing some automobility). It seems to me that local leaders have rarely bothered to do so.
The Met Council has contracts with some of the largest engineering firms in the world, who certainly do have access to tunneling experts.
Along these same lines, you may be right about this, but until you show me evidence that they've bothered to ask these tunneling experts a single transit-related tunneling question, I'd say it doesn't matter. They certainly could have had a freight rail expert look at their plans for the St Louis Park reroute and they didn't. This is understandable to some extent - we're all busy and at some point we either have to fish or cut bait. But again I think that if we had leaders that had a more cohesive and better informed transit vision, they would have long ago ordered a study that looked at this more comprehensively. I've actually read the only study I know of the geologic potential of the Twin Cities for tunneling. Again, maybe it's arrogant, but unless Met Council planners or their consultants have also read this study (which is gathering dust in the basement of Walter Library) or (preferably) replicated it more recently, don't have better knowledge of the feasibility of tunneling here than they do? Potential knowledge is great, but isn't actual knowledge a little bit better?
"Who rescued whom!"

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 15th, 2014, 2:53 pm

Quick question: the much-ballyhooed 90 day delay of the SWLRT Met Council vote occurred on or around Oct. 17, 2013... which was 90 days ago. Is a vote on the tunnel situation imminent? I'm not hearing much about it.
I've been thinking about this too. Didn't do the count on the days though. Haven't heard a murmur.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 15th, 2014, 5:04 pm

Woofner's post above, I think, is all anyone needs to talk about at this point. What's done is done. We need to do better in the future.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 15th, 2014, 6:21 pm

Woofner's post above, I think, is all anyone needs to talk about at this point. What's done is done. We need to do better in the future.
Well then, that's that I guess.

I do take issue with some of Woofner's post. It's pretty bold to state that engineers don't know what they're doing. They've certainly been informed of the so-called ideal tunneling conditions here. I was at the meetings where people told them. As far as I know, Woofner doesn't have a civil engineering degree and hasn't worked on design and planning of an LRT transit project as part of Hennepin County or Met Council staff. Perhaps I'm wrong about that but I think it would be prudent to take some of his opinions with a bit of salt.

I do agree with him that most Minnesotans don't know about good urban design and a comprehensive transit system. At the same time, I also recognize that what is best in Brussles isn't necessarily what is best here.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 15th, 2014, 6:36 pm

I do take issue with some of Woofner's post. It's pretty bold to state that engineers don't know what they're doing.
I was going to post a picture of the collapsed 35W bridge, but decided that was distasteful.

Jane Jacobs wrote a non-urban issues related book a little while back called Dark Age Ahead, which touched on the mindless interest in credentials over common sense. It was a good read.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » January 15th, 2014, 8:02 pm

The reality is this will serve a minority of suburbanites who already have cars with high-frequency transit to other burbs and the cities
Do some reading about the suburban demographics on this line. This corridor has been a center for immigrants for decades. And yes, many of them rely on transit.
And we can't make all the vast sprawling metros in this nation transit-friendly. It's a nice idea to retro-fit hundreds of square miles of a huge mess, but it's not something that can be accomplished and that's not even on the table to make the SWLRT make make any sense. Or did I miss where Eden Prairie adopting zoning all throughout to resemble policies in Mpls or St Paul? In any case if people want to choose to live out in the boonies that's their choice and they need to live with the consequences without major bailouts. Hell, we already spend plenty to bail them out of waiting an extra minute by adding extra lanes to widen their already excessive road network. Build mass transit where it makes sense, in an urban context, and run it well. Right now, city residents in Mpls who rely on mass transit, who outnumber those in the burbs, are not having our needs met. Oh, and we've been centers of immigration too, so where's the rail line with as many stops in Mpls as there are proposed for the SW burbs?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 15th, 2014, 8:32 pm

I don't pretend to be a transit wonk by any means, but the people of Eden Prairie and Hopkins and the other southwest suburbs are surely helping pay for this LRT line, correct? You wouldn't think so reading some of the posts here.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 15th, 2014, 8:40 pm

Technically the people in Chaska, Glencoe, and Marshall are paying for it too since much is coming from state bonding. Let's let this thing earn its Southwest moniker.

And the federal match includes Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona. Southwest LRT!

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 15th, 2014, 8:55 pm

And maybe when all of Minneapolis throughout is an "urban context" it can get good transit and not until then?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 15th, 2014, 9:13 pm

Jane Jacobs wrote a non-urban issues related book a little while back called Dark Age Ahead, which touched on the mindless interest in credentials over common sense. It was a good read.
Really, Nick? You're saying the experts are wrong because they're experts?

Of course engineers can be wrong but many people have explained why an Uptown alignment is not necessarily "Common Sense." The fact that people disagree should be a pretty big clue bat that it's not cut-and-dried. To impugn the professional expertise of staff without any solid evidence whatsoever to back it up is silly and insulting.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 15th, 2014, 9:14 pm

The general consensus of the crowd seemed to be that routing the line through Uptown was a better alternative than sending it through the narrow strip of land between Cedar Lake and Lake of the Isles.
http://www.minnpost.com/politics-policy ... -rail-plan