Target Center Renovation

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Target Center Renovation

Postby SurlyLHT » September 28th, 2021, 12:09 pm

It should got at:

501 Royalston Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55405

There will be a new LRT station there, it's near the Target Field Station, the C line and there is space nearby for the new owners to help finance some nice things like housing w/affordable units and a new Farmers Market and some sort of parkland or plaza in this sea of concrete...also a 800' tower...actually just kidding on the last point...but then I wouldn't be opposed to Walmart moving their HQ here. (Or any of Lore's other business ventures.)

Fun Fact LMarc Lore is a really really good bobsledder....maybe TheoWirth can get a bobsled track?

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » September 28th, 2021, 12:13 pm

If they move want a future stadium thats not at target centers current location this would be the best place. Or maybe there the A ramp is currently located

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » September 28th, 2021, 12:43 pm

I think it needs to stay where it is. Basketball is by far the most urban/cosmopolitan sport+ the events/concerts etc. makes this is the only stadium/arena that must be downtown IMO.

I think they could add good amount of width out back if 2nd (and the 6th st exit) were reworked (combined).
Towns!

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 28th, 2021, 1:26 pm

It should got at:

501 Royalston Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55405

There will be a new LRT station there, it's near the Target Field Station, the C line and there is space nearby for the new owners to help finance some nice things like housing w/affordable units and a new Farmers Market and some sort of parkland or plaza in this sea of concrete...also a 800' tower...actually just kidding on the last point...but then I wouldn't be opposed to Walmart moving their HQ here. (Or any of Lore's other business ventures.)

Fun Fact LMarc Lore is a really really good bobsledder....maybe TheoWirth can get a bobsled track?
There's definitely something to be said for that. Too bad there's little room for redevelopment to the north (unless Metro Transit moves...). It's been vacant/underused for a very long time.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » September 28th, 2021, 1:34 pm

I think it needs to stay where it is. Basketball is by far the most urban/cosmopolitan sport+ the events/concerts etc. makes this is the only stadium/arena that must be downtown IMO.

I think they could add good amount of width out back if 2nd (and the 6th st exit) were reworked (combined).
Moving it a few blocks away to the edge of the Northside isn't exactly Bloomington. I also would love to see RFP proposals for their current location where it up for sale by the city. (I think it would be awesome if it could be converted into a community/fitness center.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » September 28th, 2021, 2:15 pm

a) I hate this
b) Build it in the same spot and they can play in Xcel during construction
c) Seattle would LOVE a team

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » September 28th, 2021, 2:40 pm

10 years is still a little while away, however same location would be perfect since we invested all that transit info structures. Expand the footprint over 7th and 394 if necessary. Would mean better outside space combined with target field and easier connections to A ramp and maybe even B ramp.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » September 28th, 2021, 4:02 pm

In about 5 years the Twins are due to start whining and threatening to leave town unless the taxpayers build them a new ballpark. While we're figuring put stuff we need to leave room for that.

RedDutch
Metrodome

Postby RedDutch » September 29th, 2021, 4:33 am

Minneapolis shouldn't spend any public money on a new arena. But the city shouldn't reject this idea at all. When billionaire owners and sports teams get involved, there's a force of gravity that can help get a lot of other things happen. Modern stadium deals are more real estate plays than anything else. Lore made news recently with a wacky idea to build a new city in the desert, but he could be encouraged instead to put his money into building in the existing city where he now owns a sports franchise.

The public cost of US Bank Stadium was absurd and indefensible, but it is undeniable that that project became a catalyst for a much greater transformation Downtown East than could've happened piecemeal. In the case of the Target Center, I'd look for a way to turn a new basketball arena into a total rebuild and revitalization of the area currently occupied by the stub end of I-394 (fill it in) and the A, B, and C ramps (tear the latter two down).
I like that ......or tear down the stadium, build multi-use tower. Then build the new stadium where the Twins were going to build in the Farmers Market area. That area is ripe for redevelopment! The vision the Twins had for that area was awesome.....T-Wolves Town!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 30th, 2021, 10:29 pm

Whatever they do, the street geometry and 'The Point' bar need to come back. Image
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Record Machine
Metrodome

Postby Record Machine » October 1st, 2021, 8:09 am

maybe we can finally relocate the HERC! put a modern fieldhouse right on that spot and better connect the entertainment district w the north loop.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 2nd, 2021, 9:54 am

Not that there's much room over there, but many cities get some synergy by locating their arenas immediately adjacent to their convention centers, allowing very large conventions to use the arena for events.
This general idea, but for keeping the stadium generally right where it is now. We already have a lot of big-event infrastructure in this part of downtown. Also, as Tyler noted, basketball aside this is a great urban location for big concerts and other events.

If an arena was redeveloped here, I'd also love to create some sort of common space along First Avenue. Not sure if there'd be space, though.

Another interesting location is over by U.S. Bank Stadium. You have the big-event infrastructure there as well, and some of the buildings along the Commons are poorly designed for being next to a park. Replacing the juvenile court complex is probably unlikely, but could this be an opportunity to move the medical examiner building? The space probably isn't right, but interesting to think about.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » October 2nd, 2021, 12:40 pm

maybe we can finally relocate the HERC! put a modern fieldhouse right on that spot and better connect the entertainment district w the north loop.
Why are we so quick to relocate a sustainable power producer that powers much of the north loop and downtown area. If the HERC is torn down I'm guessing that there will have to be major environmental cleanups in order to make that site usable again for anything else. Not to mention more millions to build another facility like that. Also where would you put it? Can you imagine the NIMBY pushback?

If we don't relocate it, where will put the additional landfills needed to take the garbage that was incinerated. The additional emissions of garbage trucks having to drive to a new exurb landfill instead of a centralized location. And the additional power infrastructure needed to replace the power that HERC produces. Not to mention the fact that HERC is a great paying union job for many people in the city that doesn't need car access to get too.

Mixed use doesn't just mean apartments and retail. Mixed use also means industrial sites like this.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » October 2nd, 2021, 10:49 pm

I guess if you squint you can call burning garbage "sustainable."

The power plant in rural MN that runs on burning turkey droppings is technically sustainable too. Doesn't mean it's good to burn trash or turkey droppings, just that we're not at risk of running out of the power source.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 3rd, 2021, 12:39 pm

"HERC isn't sustainable" is true in the sense that it creates a lot of emissions, but the real culprit here is how much garbage we create as a society which leaves few good alternatives to incineration. Landfills are worse on an emissions basis and they are certainly more directly environmentally destructive. Composting/organics recycling can help, especially if it creates relatively clean-burning biogas, but there are still plenty of emissions from that process. Even most the ash trees being cut down statewide are being burned (at the District Energy plant in downtown St. Paul I understand) because there's nowhere near enough demand for ash mulch otherwise.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » October 4th, 2021, 7:06 am

Why are we so quick to relocate a sustainable power producer that powers much of the north loop and downtown area. If the HERC is torn down I'm guessing that there will have to be major environmental cleanups in order to make that site usable again for anything else. Not to mention more millions to build another facility like that. Also where would you put it? Can you imagine the NIMBY pushback?

If we don't relocate it, where will put the additional landfills needed to take the garbage that was incinerated. The additional emissions of garbage trucks having to drive to a new exurb landfill instead of a centralized location. And the additional power infrastructure needed to replace the power that HERC produces. Not to mention the fact that HERC is a great paying union job for many people in the city that doesn't need car access to get too.

Mixed use doesn't just mean apartments and retail. Mixed use also means industrial sites like this.
You're right, people should move their minds on from moving HERC. This is a serious fixed asset, which is needed. The StarTribune had a recent article about how since Elk River closed their incinerator we've been struggling to find places to put our waste. The recycling and organics rates aren't where they need to be for us to start closing these plants.

I would much rather scrap the aqueduct over here than HERC.

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » October 4th, 2021, 10:14 am

That's actually a great location for HERC because the dioxins and PM2.5 go right over our heads and land on the suburbs. Wasn't that the point of putting it there?

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » October 4th, 2021, 2:16 pm

I'd be very interested to see what the pollution levels are at HERC after the multi million dollar smokestack renovations that happened a few years back (in 2019) I remember hearing that it was being done to improve it's pollution filtering. All of the studies on its levels that I could find were done long before then.

We still need to reduce our trash production. And invest more in recycling, and composting, and stricter packaging standards. But until that's done I'm fine with HERC being apart of the county's no waste to landfills by 2030 goal.

Record Machine
Metrodome

Postby Record Machine » October 4th, 2021, 4:06 pm

Petition to build mega-herc somewhere in Rogers. Also in support of removing any and all viaducts.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 4th, 2021, 4:52 pm

Gonna be hard to use the waste heat to heat Target Field then.

More importantly, my understanding is that there's been interest in expanding the district heating system to more of the North Loop, but the power purchase agreement with Xcel means that they don't have any leftover steam capacity to do so. When that ends in 2024, I'd like to see the district energy system expand, possibly to the new development we'll hopefully be seeing around Royalston Station. That would presumably allow the removal of the high voltage line running down the railroad corridor as well.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]