Rochester

Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Rochester

Postby Nathan » May 27th, 2016, 7:58 am

I think the beige is the rendering to me it looks all grey, metal, and glass.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » May 27th, 2016, 10:19 am

Is it just me, or is that beyond ugly?
I don't exactly call it pretty. The style is brutalistic in nature. Slap on some colored panels and it would be somewhat reminiscent of Cedar-Riverside. Not exactly a resounding endorsement. Do I oppose it, not at all. I would try to add more glass where ever possible. When it comes to Rochester, it doesn't have a lot of great architecture when it comes to their highrises. Notable exceptions are the Plummer Building and the original Mayo Building. The tallest building, Broadway Plaza is quite hideous.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 27th, 2016, 10:55 am

I'd also like to see a zoom in of the riverwalk itself. Seems like there's much more potential - outdoor patio seating, other activation of the public space, etc. Right now it looks like a sidewalk between a blank wall and between the channelized river.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » May 27th, 2016, 11:26 am

Is it just me, or is that beyond ugly?
I don't exactly call it pretty. The style is brutalistic in nature. Slap on some colored panels and it would be somewhat reminiscent of Cedar-Riverside. Not exactly a resounding endorsement. Do I oppose it, not at all. I would try to add more glass where ever possible. When it comes to Rochester, it doesn't have a lot of great architecture when it comes to their highrises. Notable exceptions are the Plummer Building and the original Mayo Building. The tallest building, Broadway Plaza is quite hideous.
If I remember right from the video, the architect did say that he took inspiration from some brutalist buildings. I've been looking at ae7's other projects and I'm pretty impressed with their work so I doubt that this will go south. Anyway, I wouldn't say that Broadway Plaza is hideous... it's just not eye capturing or memorable, which leaves me to wonder what the original "Times Square" building would have looked like as it was supposed to be significantly taller. The Gonda Building, Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center, and Siebens are also rather nice buildings.

There were some really great renderings and ideas thrown about for this project in the video posted with the medcitybeat link (about 49 minutes in) that showcase what a benefit this would be for downtown. The riverfront area concepts are rather cool, with a waterfall feature and stream with stepping stones that will flow into the Zumbro. I'll see if I can find any of the riverfront renderings.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » May 28th, 2016, 7:41 am

I would definitely call it hideous. Looks like public housing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakwood_Broadway_Plaza

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 28th, 2016, 3:19 pm

I would definitely call it hideous. Looks like public housing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakwood_Broadway_Plaza
Another example of styles being called hideous just because they are out of fashion. It's a pretty decent example of post modernism, not brutalism or even most public housing projects at all. It's at a point where people might not like it, but I definitely appreciate it for filling the gap in the architectural timeline in Rochester.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » May 30th, 2016, 9:53 pm

However, I just noticed yet another parking-bridging-a-road between the tower sections. I realize they want a boatload of parking, but I really hope that aspect gets changed.
The road actually ends here, so the parking ramp wouldn't really go over a road. Plus, this project will need a lot of parking, as they are replacing an existing heavily used ramp, and adding a residential tower and hotel. Plus, it doesnt seem like they can really go underground here. As long as they leave a lot of the main floor open for retail and other services, i will be happy.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 31st, 2016, 9:35 am

I do think it's fair to say that this ramp blocks/covers the street, even if the street terminates at this project. Because it will block the viewshed. There may be passageway between "Historic 3rd Street" and the riverfront, but it won't be a welcoming one since the terminating vista will be a parking ramp. Which is also the terminating vista looking west on "Historic 3rd Street" where the BioBusiness Center ramp is.

Which is so sad, since I thought Rochester was on the right track. Initial plans for Broadway At Center (north of here) showed a parking ramp covering East Center Street. One of the council members I know said that wouldn't actually come to fruition, and recent renderings seem to show that parking fail has disappeared.

I'm also not sure how much more parking Downtown Rochester can take, merely because all of that parking needs wide peak-hour-oriented roadways to get motorists to and from those ramps. Downtown Rochester's streets are already crushed by cars, especially during rush hours. It seems like a healthy Downtown Rochester needs fewer cars, especially during these peak hours, not more cars. And more ramps mean more cars.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » May 31st, 2016, 4:13 pm

With regards to traffic downtown, I respectfully disagree that streets are crushed with cars. The largest employer, Mayo, has staggered scheduling. Because of this, not everyone is coming at 9 and leaving at 5. Rush hour is very short and includes small backups on 2nd and Center streets. Even with these backups, it still does not take long to get to your destination. For example, I have a friend who works downtown, and walks 6 blocks to his car. He can leave his desk and be to the golf course in NW Rochester in 30 minutes. And I also don't think this ramp and development will necessarily add too much volume to the traffic count. It may even reduce it, as some who live out further and commute downtown are likely the type that will purchase the condos or live in the apartments. They will likely still have cars, but will most likely be walking to and from work, and using their cars during other times. Just my opinion.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » June 9th, 2016, 9:41 am

The Rochester Planning and Zoning Commission recommended that the parking ramp that will go behind the Broadway at Center tower needs to be redesigned to fit DMC and the Downtown Masterplan standards, calling it a "stretch" that it would even remotely meet those standards. However, the City Council could still approve the project. In a way, I feel like this will go forward with its current design, as parking has been a major focus in the downtown area and the Council members have been eager to get this project done.
The city of Rochester's Planning and Zoning Commission held no punches in its bruising of a city-proposed building project as the commission recommended denial of the city's applications for a six-level downtown parking structure.

The proposed project, a mixed-use parking facility at East Center Street and First Avenue Southeast, planned several integrated features with the neighboring development, Broadway at Center. The structure included private parking for the Broadway at Center hotel, skyway level connections and commercial space for Broadway at Center.

The structure would provide more than 540 public parking spaces in addition to 90 private spaces for the Broadway at Center project. It also proposed to build a covered archway over the train track that runs parallel to First Avenue Southeast.

http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/ ... bc584.html

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 9th, 2016, 10:13 am

Anyone seen other plans, such as site plan, for this parking ramp? I'm very concerned, since original plans showed this ramp spanning Center Street (which would make it Rochester's 3rd ramp covering a city street). Even if it doesn't cover the street, and I don't think it does, ramps are rather uggs and cause major traffic across curb cuts at rush hours, degrading the downtown experience. Especially considering Broadway and Center is one of the main corners in Downtown Rochester.

Edit, ok now I can see this rendering is looking westward down Center Street, since that's a LOCOMOTIVE in the tunnel. This will span the train tracks eastward. Which is interesting, since once that industrial railroad spur through downtown goes away, it would be a useful corridor for something else.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » June 17th, 2016, 7:35 am

More on the Saint Mary's area project

http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/ ... 270b9.html

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » June 17th, 2016, 8:57 pm

Oh how I enjoy the comments on all of the proposed projects in Rochester. The majority of the people wanted the DMC initiative passed (hence why it happened) yet they REALLY don't want it in their backyard now that things are finally moving. Gotta love NIMBYISM.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » June 18th, 2016, 2:08 pm

Agreed. It is awful. And most of those commenters some how think that Mayo is the developer of every project. The two big proposals, Alatus and Bloom, are very well thought out projects and great for their sites.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » June 28th, 2016, 2:27 pm

Folwell neighborhood residents have serious concerns about how the 13-story, $110 million residential and commercial development proposed for just west of Saint Marys Hospital will affect their neighborhood. . .
basically the neighborhood association is upset about the parking ramp and an influx of traffic. Several commented on the sheer size of the building, my response is that they live next to one of the largest and most important hospitals in the world. How could they not expect development? Also, they all voted on DMC so this NIMBYISM needs to stop.
During the public review phase of the development, the developer would have to meet certain criteria based on a traffic study, Wojcik said. That study would ensure the project would not cause traffic volumes to exceed street capacities, among other criteria.
'Here's what is going to happen with the traffic situation: if these conditions cannot be met, there will be no project'. Wojcik said . . .
'If you want to have progress and do it correctly, you've got to work together with the developer. You don't slap them in the face and then ask them for something. That's not the way that it happens'
If this doesn't get built, especially after the fiasco with the hotel across the street from Saint Mary's, then why would a developer WANT to build in Rochester if the neighborhoods are so up in arms.

http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/ ... 91c94.html

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 28th, 2016, 2:52 pm

Why not just do the same large mixed-use project, but without the traffic-birthing public parking ramp component?

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » June 30th, 2016, 11:00 am

I actually really like this project the city of Rochester is putting forward.
PlaceMakers is Rochester's prototyping festival offering the public a glimpse into the many different ways a public space can be transformed. . . Prototyping public space is a way of involving a range of people like creatives, builders and artists to come up with possible solutions to a physical space.
Numbers 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, and 9 are my personal favorites.

http://www.themedcitybeat.com/news-blog ... oice-award

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 30th, 2016, 11:39 am

Not to be confused by PlaceMakers, the consulting firm that hosts an epic party at Congress for the New Urbanism every year.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » July 1st, 2016, 4:12 pm

Regarding the project near Saint Mary's, it sounds like the developer is willing to cut the parking ramp capacity in half or get rid of it completely.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » July 7th, 2016, 7:22 pm

The Rochester city council approved an incentive development final plan for the parking ramp, a conditional-use permit, and a preliminary plan for a housing option above the ramp that is to go behind the Broadway at Center tower.
If Broadway at Center isn't started by fall, the city will seek alternative options to get the ramp started.

The council also approved an incentive development final plan for the Ronald McDonald House, which is seeking to add an additional 3 floors (30 units) to the existing structure.

http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/ ... ba5c6.html