Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
spectre000
Landmark Center

Re: Izzy's Ice Cream Factory

Postby spectre000 » August 22nd, 2012, 9:29 am

A picture from Mill City Times,

http://millcitytimes.com/news/izzys-ice ... trict.html
"Wednesday, August 22, 2012 at 7:24AM | David Tinjum
Construction started yesterday on the new Izzy's Ice Cream Parlor & Headquarters. Works is scheduled to be completed next summer. Follow the progress on Mill City Times."

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 22nd, 2012, 9:31 am

Does the Mill City Times reporter still post here? Maybe under a different name?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 22nd, 2012, 9:52 am

Given Izzy's history of having unsuccessful locations they later decide to close.
The two previous "attempts" were a small skyway location and a kiosk in Marshall Fields... two places with only 9-5 hours and completely seasonally dependent. Those were just bad decisions. They don't have previous factory attempts, and this is a MUCH more residential area with MANY people going to the Guthrie and using the River Pkwy. They will have no shortage of traffic for the shop. They also have an obvious demand for an expanded production facility if they can afford David Salmela... and actually make it cool looking.

Heaven forbid there be a small factory, residents, and office space in one area. Diversified economic areas are THE WORST! no.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 22nd, 2012, 10:32 am

Given Izzy's history of having unsuccessful locations they later decide to close.
The two previous "attempts" were a small skyway location and a kiosk in Marshall Fields... two places with only 9-5 hours and completely seasonally dependent. Those were just bad decisions. They don't have previous factory attempts, and this is a MUCH more residential area with MANY people going to the Guthrie and using the River Pkwy. They will have no shortage of traffic for the shop. They also have an obvious demand for an expanded production facility if they can afford David Salmela... and actually make it cool looking.

Heaven forbid there be a small factory, residents, and office space in one area. Diversified economic areas are THE WORST! no.
They still sell scoops in the Macy's basement food court, though it's not a stand alone shop by any stretch of the imagination.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » August 22nd, 2012, 12:09 pm

Does the Mill City Times reporter still post here? Maybe under a different name?
I haven't seen him. Maybe he missed the forum switch? Someone should shoot him an email.

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » August 22nd, 2012, 12:23 pm

Oh, the horror!

Fantastic to see photographic evidence of progress!

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » August 22nd, 2012, 10:40 pm

I think you are missing the point of comment. No heaven forbidding in my comment. Then again I really don't know what that terms mean besides a phase you say when you strongly object and are almost enraged... The factory as it stand being an ice cream shop I'm OK with the idea and it might add to the community.

What I object to is the likely hood that they will be successful building a small factory and ice cream shop downtown (in one of the coldest metro areas in the United States) Of course Ice cream is still a huge market and huge demand I don't wish to argue that, however the likely hood of them being bankrupt or decide to close the site down I think is very likely. Sales will be small during cold months and very high during summer. The fact that DQ doesn't have a street level store is probably because the sales during the cold months would be low and few people would want to take such a risk on a seasonal business (yes yes I know they sell burgers and frys too but I don't think they have a reputation for good burgers :roll: )

I'm not wishing them failure, but in all honestly I don't see how they can be successful! Sure during winter I think I might by a few packaged containers and carry then home over a mile away if its really good Ice cream lol but I just don't see it as a profitable business to build a factory and retail store downtown in such an expensive site!

If and when they go out of bussiness then we will have a "worthless building" that will serve no purpose! perhaps in 10 years the city will buy it to prevent a new factory user from using it and the site will become an addition to the park. Perhaps a community room or rec. center.

Honestly you think in 10 years from now they will STILL be serving ice cream? ...how about that Flip Flop shoe store at the MOA how successful was that... oh wait they closed shop before last winter lol

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » August 22nd, 2012, 11:03 pm

It's not solely an ice cream shop though. It is their headquarters and a factory at which they will be producing their product for sale across a much broader area. Its not like the livelihood of the building or company depend on how much ice cream they sell at this particular location. I wouldn't worry about it...

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » August 22nd, 2012, 11:37 pm

It's not solely an ice cream shop though. It is their headquarters and a factory at which they will be producing their product for sale across a much broader area. Its not like the livelihood of the building or company depend on how much ice cream they sell at this particular location. I wouldn't worry about it...
yes it does matter how much Ice cream they sell at this particular location because they only have one other location in St. Paul. Where else are they going to be making money to keep the business running? I know most people here know a lot about city planning and development but for me it seems this is basic business 101. I guess they are selling some product in Macy's and perhaps some other sites. Perhaps that's what I am missing... does Izzy Ice cream have a lot of sales in local retail stores?

tabletop
Nicollet Mall

Postby tabletop » August 23rd, 2012, 4:53 am

Izzy's may only have one location in St. Paul, but their distribution is extensive throughout the metro at all the co-op's, higher end grocers and restaurants. I doubt they would make this kind of investment without the need for increased production. And besides, their salted caramel ice cream would be worthy of it's own factory in my opinion. Check out their website for a list of all the places you can pick it up. http://izzysicecream.com/locations/restaurants/ Granted, it does get cold here but that didn't stop Dairy Queen from becoming a giant ice cream chain, or Kemp's for that matter.

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » August 23rd, 2012, 5:37 am

I think you are missing the point of comment. No heaven forbidding in my comment. Then again I really don't know what that terms mean besides a phase you say when you strongly object and are almost enraged... The factory as it stand being an ice cream shop I'm OK with the idea and it might add to the community.

What I object to is the likely hood that they will be successful building a small factory and ice cream shop downtown (in one of the coldest metro areas in the United States) Of course Ice cream is still a huge market and huge demand I don't wish to argue that, however the likely hood of them being bankrupt or decide to close the site down I think is very likely. Sales will be small during cold months and very high during summer. The fact that DQ doesn't have a street level store is probably because the sales during the cold months would be low and few people would want to take such a risk on a seasonal business (yes yes I know they sell burgers and frys too but I don't think they have a reputation for good burgers :roll: )

I'm not wishing them failure, but in all honestly I don't see how they can be successful! Sure during winter I think I might by a few packaged containers and carry then home over a mile away if its really good Ice cream lol but I just don't see it as a profitable business to build a factory and retail store downtown in such an expensive site!

If and when they go out of bussiness then we will have a "worthless building" that will serve no purpose! perhaps in 10 years the city will buy it to prevent a new factory user from using it and the site will become an addition to the park. Perhaps a community room or rec. center.

Honestly you think in 10 years from now they will STILL be serving ice cream? ...how about that Flip Flop shoe store at the MOA how successful was that... oh wait they closed shop before last winter lol

I think Izzy's should consider hiring you for their Coprporate Development Team, :D

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 23rd, 2012, 7:29 am

I'd venture to guess that the ice cream sub-market generates at least 80% of its sales from one demographic -- die-hard ice cream eaters, who won't care what time of year it is, they just need ice cream! If that were true, the seasonality affect would pretty much go out the door. I myself prefer ice cream usually only when it's pretty hot outside, but to my point, I may eat the equivalent of 4-5 pints of ice cream for an entire year, while the "die-hards" probably eat that much in a given month! I wouldn't worry.....especially if it's as good as advertised!

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » August 23rd, 2012, 8:04 am

yes it does matter how much Ice cream they sell at this particular location because they only have one other location in St. Paul. Where else are they going to be making money to keep the business running? I know most people here know a lot about city planning and development but for me it seems this is basic business 101. I guess they are selling some product in Macy's and perhaps some other sites. Perhaps that's what I am missing... does Izzy Ice cream have a lot of sales in local retail stores?
No it doesn't... They are a distributor, not a retailer. They produce ice cream and distribute it to stores and restaurants to be sold there. They are not Dairy Queen, or an ice cream parlor. They aren't opening this building to make money from selling ice cream to people. They are opening it because they need a headquarters and a factory, they are merely selling ice cream on the side. There would have to be a lot of extremely poor management decisions and cost overruns if opening one ice cream parlor completely bankrupt Izzy's.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 23rd, 2012, 11:09 am

Isn't a major reason they are building this to bring the ice-cream production in house?

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » August 23rd, 2012, 1:27 pm

No it doesn't... They are a distributor, not a retailer. They produce ice cream and distribute it to stores and restaurants to be sold there. They are not Dairy Queen, or an ice cream parlor. They aren't opening this building to make money from selling ice cream to people. They are opening it because they need a headquarters and a factory, they are merely selling ice cream on the side. There would have to be a lot of extremely poor management decisions and cost overruns if opening one ice cream parlor completely bankrupt Izzy's.
I think I am starting to understand there vision a bit... They are a small company that having a factor in the suburbs, a office downtown and possible a store downtown (though it sounds like they never really focused on the store idea at this location) may be to much of a hassle, however the added cost of downtown factory space surly will have to be passed on through the price of the ice cream... I guess it creates that unique atmosphere kinda like Krispy Kreams when they made doughnuts right in front of you.

Perhaps it's because I'm not a Ice Cream fanatic, but I think Cold Stone has good ice cream and I will admit I never tried Izzy ice cream before. I see there vision but at the end of the day consumers care about cost and quality and convince of product. Can anybody explain to me how Izzy's ice cream is going to successful compete against its competition in a world where VALUE for the consumer is king. A rival company in theory could build a factory in the suburbs with much less expense and pass the savings onto the consumer and probably could steal not all but a huge chunk of the market.

I remember watching a documentary about the beer wars and how small breweries once they had a successful idea and a profitable market the giants companies came in and undercut there prices and stole there market. Let say Izzy's Ice Cream is successful then what is to prevent a big company like Kemps from creating a premium ice cream under a different name and selling it far under Izzy's Ice Cream prices? The added cost of a Hq and factory downtown will for a long time burden the company to keep a high price on there product. I just don't get it...

I think Izzy's should consider hiring you for their Coprporate Development Team, :D
yes, I think that would be a great idea! lol I would get the R&D team on developing a HOT ice cream! kinda like a melted chocolate sunday and a hot liquid ice cream drink! Also creating cone straws that you could eat in a hot drink too! Also I think giving melted ice cream would be a great way to enjoy ice cream during winter! ...although you would have to eat it quick!... before it froze! :lol:

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 23rd, 2012, 1:36 pm

Try going to Izzy's in St. Paul. After waiting in a 20-deep line, you'll see why various groups rank it the best ice cream shop in the Twin Cities. There's plenty of market for Izzy's and Dairy Queen in the same city.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 23rd, 2012, 2:23 pm

OMG SERIOUSLY Lance you've never even BEEN to Izzy's? They have a fantastic business model. You get this little tiny scoop (an izzy) of ice cream on top of your other ice cream for free, of any flavor you want to try or coordinate with your regular ice cream. They have amazing creative flavors. If you want over processed, not local, over hyped, suburban oriented COLD STONE, (created in Phoenix arguably the LEAST urban/healthy/dairy smart city in the country) then go out to the burbs and get it. (the closest cold stone to me in the wedge is over 6 miles away, and there used to be 1 downtown. there is a FAIL story for you.)

They are already a 'boutique' ice cream, meaning they are more expensive than kemps. The people who are buying it are more concerned that it is made with good ingredients and close to home. The factory increases brand image and local pride. therefor strengthening their image locally, while giving them the opportunity to create an image in say the Dakota's/IA/IL... The big brands started out small once too. It's the whole point.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 23rd, 2012, 4:21 pm

Izzy's should be a success at their new location. I think if they are smart , they will make the retail component similar to Sebastian Joe's where it's also a coffeehouse and neighborhood hangout. That will make it appealing to a broader range of customers and help keep it active in the winter months.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 23rd, 2012, 4:35 pm

Maybe instead of ordering coffee with cream or a shot of flavor, it's an izzy of any flavor in the coffee...

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » August 23rd, 2012, 5:29 pm

Maybe instead of ordering coffee with cream or a shot of flavor, it's an izzy of any flavor in the coffee...
I love this idea