Rumors: A Historical Record of Mystery

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Current & Proposed Downtown Minneapolis Projects

Postby mplsjaromir » March 17th, 2014, 2:00 pm

Preview: Some big buildings are being considered for some point in the future, can't name specifics. These things take time, be patient.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » March 17th, 2014, 4:16 pm

^^^mpls, while I agree stuff like that can get annoying, I feel that comment in regards to retiredbanker is out of line. I felt he always was very kind and matter of fact in his approach and that his information was generally spot on.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 17th, 2014, 9:34 pm

It's comments like that which pissed him off in the 1st place. I have no reason to believe he's making any of this up, and it seems like others within the development community (like Avian) have similar "prognostications", if you will.

Besides, if anyone were to (publically) reveal insider information that could a.) tip off somebody who is able to play an angle on the market, or b.) disrupt ongoing contract negotiations and find out that info about the contract leaked on the web, their career would be in serious jeopardy. So although we all would like to be the first to know, I'I'll be happy to settle for vague predictions.

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » March 18th, 2014, 9:22 am

I feel like mplsjaromir is spot on with what we've been told over and over. I also couldn't agree more with min-chi-cbus when he states why someone like RetiredBanker can't give too many specifics (for all of the obvious reasons).

With that being said, the details seem to be fuzzy often with the prognostications. So, in all due respect, what has RetiredBanker told us in the past that has now come to fruition?

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » March 18th, 2014, 9:39 am

I guess I'm curious why even spend the time/energy posting "I emailed the guy who used to post really vague but exciting information" and then follow it up with "you know, he quit hanging around because his inside info wasn't detailed enough for you people." All your post did, min-chi-cbus, is rile up the cynicism and add absolutely no new information to the topic at hand. We all know that he can't share details; we all suspect there are big projects in all sorts of various stages of planning/development. Great!
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 18th, 2014, 10:04 am

I feel like mplsjaromir is spot on with what we've been told over and over. I also couldn't agree more with min-chi-cbus when he states why someone like RetiredBanker can't give too many specifics (for all of the obvious reasons).

With that being said, the details seem to be fuzzy often with the prognostications. So, in all due respect, what has RetiredBanker told us in the past that has now come to fruition?
That's what I had asked him as well.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 18th, 2014, 10:05 am

I guess I'm curious why even spend the time/energy posting "I emailed the guy who used to post really vague but exciting information" and then follow it up with "you know, he quit hanging around because his inside info wasn't detailed enough for you people." All your post did, min-chi-cbus, is rile up the cynicism and add absolutely no new information to the topic at hand. We all know that he can't share details; we all suspect there are big projects in all sorts of various stages of planning/development. Great!
Then don't pay attention to this thread for a few days! Some people seem to care -- I know I do! I figured other people wanted to know as well, so I thought I'd share whatever he's willing to talk about for those who care. I also thought it'd be fun to get excited about something in the interim.

Let's be angry about it though... :x
Last edited by min-chi-cbus on March 18th, 2014, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » March 18th, 2014, 10:08 am

Dude, that's the point. I do care. We all care. It's interesting and exciting. But "I contacted the dude that can't share anything useful anyway" is an entirely empty post.

Just like this one.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 18th, 2014, 10:45 am

I do believe Retired Banker was one who told us to hang on with the LPM tower. The majority on here felt it was a pipe dream and was all talk and no show. Well patience and time shows that things do happen, and info is brought out once the i's are dotted and the t are crossed. So all of those impatient, take a chill pill, and know that if something is going to happen it will be brought out when it is ready.

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » March 18th, 2014, 10:51 am

Dude, that's the point. I do care. We all care. It's interesting and exciting. But "I contacted the dude that can't share anything useful anyway" is an entirely empty post.

Just like this one.
What good is this attitude? Some of us find speculation to be the most fun thing on city forums. Look past it if it bothers you. Must it be countered with this "why bother - nothing ever happens" stuff every time? These discussions are part of this forum's purpose - it is for me, at least. Some tongue holding could go a long way around here... Every thought need not be released from the brain.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » March 18th, 2014, 11:07 am

I love the speculation. That's one of the main reasons why I come here. I wish RetiredBanker would keep posting. It was super fun, even though he couldn't share anything of substance. I didn't think mplsjaromir was being out of line. He succinctly summed up what we're going to hear.

Maybe I'm being extra-crotchety right now. Sorry for that. While I don't expect all sorts of details and I certainly don't begrudge RetiredBanker for keeping things under wraps, I do expect a little more meat than "I emailed a guy! Stay tuned!"

OK, I'm done being a wet blanket. Resume speculation! I'll be reading every word, like I've done since I showed up. Sorry for the detour.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 18th, 2014, 11:10 am

Just like this one.
and why exactly should anyone care about fantasy maps that aren't even based on rumor that are just some dudes wet dream but make up plenty of empty thread space. at least retired bankers fuzzy predictions have some merit and developmental plausibility to them. (not that I don't like the fantasy maps, but you're being extremely hypocritical)

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » March 18th, 2014, 11:15 am

That's not at all the same thing. And please tell me you at least read down to my apology before piling on.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » March 18th, 2014, 11:21 am

The fantasy maps aren't empty thread space. Brainstorming ideas provides context for what we are (and aren't) actually doing. The future transit map was probably the most useful thing to come out of the entire forum. People generally lack imagination, we can only close the gap between how things are and how they ought to be IF people get a little help visualizing how things ought to be.

This is much more useful than the empty post being derided. This isn't hypocritical at all.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 18th, 2014, 11:25 am

I clearly said I like the fantasy maps in my post. but I don't understand how one can enjoy brainstorming and fantasizing about one aspect of our city, but then hate on someones actual industry knowledge as a waste of space.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » March 18th, 2014, 11:31 am

I clearly said I like the fantasy maps in my post. but I don't understand how one can enjoy brainstorming and fantasizing about one aspect of our city, but then hate on someones actual industry knowledge as a waste of space.
I'm not hating on the actual industry knowledge. I said multiple times that I love what RetiredBanker brought to the forum and I wish he was still posting, even though he couldn't share identifying details. My misguided hating was on the heads up thereabout.

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » March 18th, 2014, 11:43 am

I for one would be interested to know how often RetiredBanker frequents this forum and what he generally thinks about it. If he is as "in the know" as we all assume, I wonder what value he derives from this site.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 18th, 2014, 11:46 am

the map of reconnected streets capping i35w is awesome. talking about it as fact and possibility in other specific threads about Washington avenue or developments in that area are a waste of space. he posted that in a vague thread about proposals. people have mentioned emailing developers or government officials in plenty of other threads. that's why I find it hypocritical, I'll be done, but seriously... there is extremely one sided views on this site. development isn't the kind of area where you want to place yourself into a bubble of similar ideas thinking each other are right.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 18th, 2014, 12:05 pm

Alright everybody, let's relax. I got a message from RB and I thought it was THE message but instead I got another teaser:

"Is there a character limit on this site in messaging? My response will be by far the most detailed and specific than I've ever posted before. It'll be extraordinary lengthy and explanatory, it will satisfy the bulk of those you share it with....."

I know it's pathetic and I'm probably not the only one, but I feel like a kid at Chrismas (/Chanukkah)!!

P.S. Sorry for the once-again empty post. My next one here will have substance, I promise!

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » March 18th, 2014, 12:47 pm

Thanks! I look forward to the post!

Glad you are still able to keep in touch with RB.