Twin Cities' National and Global Image

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
kiliff75
Nicollet Mall

Re: Twin Cities' National and Global Image

Postby kiliff75 » July 3rd, 2014, 7:13 am

Good article, the only bad thing is they had to say "The Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul of Minnesota"....or something to that effect...

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 3rd, 2014, 8:50 am

Does anyone else find it curious/amusing that we seem to be offended at not having terrible congestion? I mean; I totally understand—no traffic means no people, and people in cities are a good thing. Traffic indicates vitality. But it seems we're at that turning point where we're realizing that [everyone] driving in cities is no good, and are trying to push other modes of transit. In a few decades, maybe it would be an actual compliment to say our city has less congestion than others?
I'm not offended per se, it's just factually incorrect. We're #15 or #16 nationally for worst congestion, and that's also our population rank, so yeah while I agree that we're not bad relative for our size we're also not traffic-less either, which is sort of what was implied.

The point being made was that traffic congestion can be a major impetus for getting on your bike and riding it to work instead, and that since the Twin Cities aren't as gridlocked as other major cities that have great bike-share systems it can't be the reason we have a good system ourselves. I think it's a much bigger part of the reason than the author makes it out to be, that's all. It would be THE reason I would ever consider biking to work, since I don't bike recreationally anymore.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 15th, 2014, 11:10 am

I'd love for anyone who's bothering to watch the ASG to link to, or summarize, the national media characterization of the neighborhoods, city, and metro!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 15th, 2014, 11:23 am

Well, I saw lots of filler shots rides at the Mall of America. And a nice condensed zoom from tfield down sixth.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » July 15th, 2014, 12:32 pm

During both MLB Network coverage and ESPN coverage I saw shots of trains rolling down 5th street. Some impressive shots, really. If I would've thought about it in advance, I would've recorded it all for the sake of compiling the city shots...
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 15th, 2014, 4:02 pm

Ariel view of tfield before the all star game. Also the announcers last night during the hr derby kept mentioning random cities to where that ball was flying.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » July 15th, 2014, 11:47 pm

I swear for a while I wanted to see a good shot of downtown or some part of Minneapolis, but all they kept panning over was Target Field with parking lots and the garbage burner in the periphery.

In fact, someone I was talking to across the country told me about a conversation they were having with others watching the game. It went something like: Person 1 - "Oh what a cool looking building." Person Two - "That's their morgue." I don't know that we ever had a panning over of the morgue, but I thought it was funny...and sort of sad.

web

Postby web » July 15th, 2014, 11:52 pm

I saw a view of the stonearch bridge from below on a canoe.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 15th, 2014, 11:54 pm

I swear for a while I wanted to see a good shot of downtown or some part of Minneapolis, but all they kept panning over was Target Field with parking lots and the garbage burner in the periphery.

In fact, someone I was talking to across the country told me about a conversation they were having with others watching the game. It went something like: Person 1 - "Oh what a cool looking building." Person Two - "That's their morgue." I don't know that we ever had a panning over of the morgue, but I thought it was funny...and sort of sad.
maybe they were talking about how poorly the twins have been playing this season... ;) target field morgue.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 16th, 2014, 6:45 am

the fox camera shots of the city last night were awesome. flyovers of the stone arch bridge, the falls, the skyline. dt mpls looked beautiful.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 16th, 2014, 10:30 am

Yeah, my sister (lives in San Diego, never lived here) text me this morning "OMG Minneapolis looked soooooo beautiful during the game last night!!!"

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 16th, 2014, 11:52 am

Ariel view of tfield before the all star game. Also the announcers last night during the hr derby kept mentioning random cities to where that ball was flying.
That was Chris Berman trying to be cute (I'm not a huge fan of his), and John Kruk was like "whatever you say, I'll take your word for it", and that was about it.

I also tried to catch exciting panoramas and shots of the city during both Monday and Tuesday nights but didn't see much personally. The shot of the rainbow after the rain break arching over the Target Field outfield with the skyline in the background was pretty sweet though!

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/07/hey-loo ... -twins-mlb

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 16th, 2014, 12:02 pm

I recorded a bit of the game to see some of the cool shots they used. Sadly, more than a second or two of aerial footage not obscured by a giant Chevy logo was pretty hard to come by.

MSPumpkins
Block E

Postby MSPumpkins » July 16th, 2014, 12:37 pm

I watched the whole game (I'm a huge baseball girl) There were some really beautiful shots of the Stone Bridge and some shots of street life on what looked like Hennepin and Nicollet. I've never been a big fan of the blimp shots to begin with because as Twincitizen pointed out they always throw up some advertisement right in the middle. I thought the camera crew did a great job finding some of the most picturesque areas around the city to display coming back from the breaks. I was not disappointed at all. It looked like an absolutely beautiful night, and I didn't hear one complaint (even in jest) from any of the commentators about the city. There was a video on the Star Trib website (which I can't find now...) with interviews of people from out of town they had a lot of nice comments on the cleanliness of the city, the light rail, and how beautiful everything was. I'd say Minneapolis did an excellent job hosting this! I doubt we will have to wait another 20 years again before we get another turn.

Edit: Also about Berman mentioning the cities, he does that every year. I personally like it, its even better when you can relate to them. Better then hearing "Back back back back back...." over and over and over... (which he seems to have toned down a bit finally)

MSPumpkins
Block E

Postby MSPumpkins » July 16th, 2014, 12:52 pm

Found it! Here is the Star Tribune Video I mentioned in the previous post with a few interviews from fans who came from out of town.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 16th, 2014, 1:09 pm

Cool, I'd have to imagine that Meet Minneapolis is going to do some sort of media promo from the even too.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 16th, 2014, 1:48 pm

it's funny how u hear how "clean" our city is from out-of-towners and all i can see is graffiti and trash. (in select places). or i see vacant storefronts on hennepin or still so much surface parking and get cynical. i guess it takes a non locals viewpoint to make you realize how nice dt mpls is.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » July 16th, 2014, 2:02 pm

it's funny how u hear how "clean" our city is from out-of-towners and all i can see is graffiti and trash. (in select places). or i see vacant storefronts on hennepin or still so much surface parking and get cynical. i guess it takes a non locals viewpoint to make you realize how nice dt mpls is.
Grass is always greener on the other side, right?

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » July 16th, 2014, 3:49 pm

There were many cool flyovers done during the All Star game. Here are a few I grabbed (with no All Star banner of course).

ImageMinneapolis All Star game pic 1 7-15-14 by bapster2006, on Flickr

ImageMinneapolis All Star game pic 2 7-15-14 by bapster2006, on Flickr

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 17th, 2014, 9:23 am

that first screen grab is wonderful. make it a print and sell posters.