1000 block of Hennepin Ave & Hawthorne Ave for sale

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

1000 block of Hennepin Ave & Hawthorne Ave for sale

Postby minnyapple » April 25th, 2014, 2:16 pm

Block E owners (Minneapolis Venture) offer up two large downtown Minneapolis parcels.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... ntown.html

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Mayo Clinic Square (formerly Block E)

Postby lordmoke » April 25th, 2014, 2:29 pm

That's in-line with some of the rumors that this site might finally see (big) movement. It's weird that Lux would sell without developing anything here.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » April 25th, 2014, 2:38 pm

The article talks about the two other partners selling, but Lux maybe being involved in any potential developments.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » April 25th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Those two parcels would have been prime if the new Vikings stadium had been built down that way. They aren't bad locations though. Plenty of parking and just a few blocks from the LRT not to mention if it was residential and/or a hotel component it's very suitable to Target Field and Target Center. God I forgot all about that Ramada Inn being there.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » April 28th, 2014, 7:49 am

I've been wondering why nothing has been proposed for those sites. The fact that there are virtually no restrictions for development means we could see anything go in here. Honestly, I think one of the blocks is a prime location for a 30-40 floor office tower. It would have great visibility and access from 394 and 94 for those coming into downtown from the west. It would also connect to the skyway through the A ramp.

John
Capella Tower

Re: 1000 block of Hennepin Ave & Hawthorne Ave for sale

Postby John » April 28th, 2014, 10:37 am

As the article mentions, the vacant 1000 block on Hennepin is an easy parcel to be developed in a relatively quick time frame. The location is awesome with both good public transit and highway access. No height restrictions. Should be snapped up in no time.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 28th, 2014, 3:21 pm

More deets and quotes: http://finance-commerce.com/2014/04/key ... he-market/

Sidebar: Some might disagree, but I'd really like to see the "Hawthorne" street designation go away. I know it dates back to before these streets were re-aligned, but nowadays it's just a unnecessary & confusing name change from the far more prominent 1st Avenue N.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 28th, 2014, 4:05 pm

I'd really like to see the "Hawthorne" street designation go away.
I agree. And I've always wondered why the exit from I-394 inbound is still signed as 12th St N now that 1st Ave (Hawthorne) is two way and you actually have to turn right to get onto 12th St. But it was probably because the street was technically Hawthorne instead of 1st Ave N, and everyone knows where 12th Street is (especially in relationship to exits at 6th and 4th Streets) but would have no idea about Hawthorne. Personally I'd love to see the exit on 394 be signed as "FIRST AVENUE" in honor of the street.

Edit: It would also be great to see development with a provision for future air-rights improvements over the 394 trench since the Ramada block plus the Firestone block are the inflection point for the trench and also the street grid... with some creativity, this could really connect the area past Lee's Liquor Lounge and up to the proposed Royalston redevelopment area (despite the city's massive value-sucking public works building).

Another Edit: I used to be in a band that had a practice space in the building at 11th and Currie (the back end of the Ramada block) and I can tell you the area could definitely stand to see some improvement.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » April 28th, 2014, 9:17 pm

I know this will be an unpopular opinion but I've always that that the block facing Hennepin would be a great location for concert/opera hall. Something completely different than either the State or Orpheum, something along the lines of Royal Albert Hall in London or Carnegie Hall in New York or a world class opera hall that could provide a full time home for the Minnesota Opera. It would also give the Hennepin Theater district a strong south anchor which currently ends rather lacklusterly.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 28th, 2014, 9:26 pm

I don't think that'll be an unpopular opinion. Seems like a good idea to me. We need something in that dead space, and it doesn't need to all be towers.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 28th, 2014, 10:14 pm

It would also be great to see development with a provision for future air-rights improvements over the 394 trench since the Ramada block plus the Firestone block are the inflection point for the trench and also the street grid... with some creativity, this could really connect the area past Lee's Liquor Lounge and up to the proposed Royalston redevelopment area (despite the city's massive value-sucking public works building).
I like that idea. I'd also like to see Linden Ave. reconnected over I-94 to provide a connection from the Basset Creek Valley to the North Loop/Downtown. It could really help development in the valley and on Glenwood.
Another Edit: I used to be in a band that had a practice space in the building at 11th and Currie (the back end of the Ramada block) and I can tell you the area could definitely stand to see some improvement.
Indeed. That whole area needs some love, staring with public works getting out.

Azel
Metrodome

Postby Azel » April 29th, 2014, 5:41 am

That area of downtown really needs a name/brand along the lines of North Loop, Mill District, Downtown East, Elliot Park, Loring Park, etc. That's what probably killed the Viking's stadium push there - when they were calling part of the land the "Basilica Site."

Love the Opera House idea, maybe then the "theater district" would work - although its hard to imagine that name being a magnet for new development, residents or businesses.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 29th, 2014, 9:41 am

That area of downtown really needs a name/brand along the lines of North Loop, Mill District, Downtown East, Elliot Park, Loring Park, etc. That's what probably killed the Viking's stadium push there - when they were calling part of the land the "Basilica Site."

Love the Opera House idea, maybe then the "theater district" would work - although its hard to imagine that name being a magnet for new development, residents or businesses.
There will be no opera house. The opera has the Ordway which is undergoing an expansion. I really don't believe that we can add yet another venue to an already crowded market. Add in the renovated Northrup and you have more seats to fill than we can probably handle for at least 10-15 years.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » April 29th, 2014, 10:57 am

There will be no opera house. The opera has the Ordway which is undergoing an expansion. I really don't believe that we can add yet another venue to an already crowded market. Add in the renovated Northrup and you have more seats to fill than we can probably handle for at least 10-15 years.
How about a planetarium or some type of science museum. I'm all for something educational but hopefully not at public expense.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 29th, 2014, 11:07 am

If we're building a planetarium it's going on top of the library, no ifs ands or buts.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 29th, 2014, 11:25 am

related/unrelated. I think the vacant lot next to 1st ave would make an awesome MN music hall of fame/museum.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » April 29th, 2014, 11:46 am

If we're building a planetarium it's going on top of the library, no ifs ands or buts.
Well that's obviously your desire but that and those who spend the money might think otherwise.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 29th, 2014, 12:33 pm

Well that's obviously your desire but that and those who spend the money might think otherwise.
Best of my knowledge is that the planetarium is going to the St. Paul campus with a combine with the new Bell museum.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » April 29th, 2014, 12:37 pm

^That's cool, I was just throwing out ideas. Not to be ridiculed or corrected.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 29th, 2014, 1:03 pm

Not ridiculing or correcting, just letting those who are less in the know, understand why some ideas will not fly. As we have people from other areas out side the Cities that do read this blog too. A lot of people do not have a clue as to the over duplication of facilities we have in the Metro area, I'm talking suburbs too. This is in sports, cultural venues, and convention facilities.